• The Last Samurai

What do you think about the film "The Last Samurai"
    Great film......recommend it
    63.33%
    It sucked.......
    10.00%
    Other opinions
    26.67%
    Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you want peace, prepare for war.)

Watched this movie last night...........I thought it was great.......wondering what you guys think about it.

Mark
    Deo Vindice

Comment

I love ths movie. Normally I judge stuff like this on historical accuracy, and they hit it on the head. Not the plot, but everything else rocked.

Comment

Saw it at the movies when it came out. Bought the DVD beginning of May. Excellent movie, great story.
        http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

Very good movie. Bought it when it came out on dvd. Ive seen it about 5 or 6 times since. It will be one of those movies that you will never get tired of
          Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

A very good movie. I don't like Tom Cruise, but he did such a good job at acting that I forgot it was him. And the Japanese actors were all excellent as well. Highly Recommended! :thumb:
            "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

I thought the final battle in the movie was fantastic, the use of fire and everything was well done!

About the only scene I didn't feel fit well historically was when the waves and waves of ninjas came. Seems to me more ninjas appeared in that fight than should have been in Japan!

However, I forgive that scene because it was awesome! (I mean come on, waves and waves of NINJAS!)

“To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

I got into it with some people about the 'ninjas.' While they were called ninjas by Cruise and the entire cast and crew, you can tell by the way they operated and the arms they carried, that they were in fact, not ninjas.

However, the last battle was spectacular, and on one note, I wanted Cruise to die with his lord.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
                  A very good movie. I don't like Tom Cruise, but he did such a good job at acting that I forgot it was him. And the Japanese actors were all excellent as well. Highly Recommended! :thumb:
                  I dont care for his movies either.........but took a chance on this one. Very good film............I do believe it was because he played out of his "normal" character mode and made a person forget that it was him.

Mark
                  Deo Vindice

Comment

Very good movie. Like many of y'all, I dont care that much for Tom Cruise. Ive only like two other movies of his. Top Gun and Days of Glory. Who was the cute fembot. would like to see more of her :bowdown:
                    Govenour Of Texas and all southern provinces. Kepper Of The Holy Woodchipper.

Comment

Originally posted by last_cav1971
                      I dont care for his movies either.........but took a chance on this one. Very good film............I do believe it was because he played out of his "normal" character mode and made a person forget that it was him.

Mark
                      Deo Vindice
                      Exactly. He can be quite a good actor when he needs to be. He kinda of seemed like Kevin Costner to me in the movie. But thats just me.
                      "Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for"
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step, and a lot of bitching"

Comment

SAKI!

Cruise-san's portrayal of a functional drunk & recovery from alcoholism was very well done.
                        The relationships between Nathan & Katsumoto, Ujio, BOB and the clan was just superb.
                        It is a thinking man's movie with much more to it than meets the eye.
                        :thumb: :thumb:

Rented the DVD and was impressed with all the extras, owning it is next.
                        Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to
                        a Life of Warfare...

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgiaDixie
                          Exactly. He can be quite a good actor when he needs to be. He kinda of seemed like Kevin Costner to me in the movie. But thats just me.

Nah, if he was like Kevin Costner I wouldn't have liked the movie, but Cruise actually had some good acting in it!
                          “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy Scott
                            Very good movie. Like many of y'all, I dont care that much for Tom Cruise. Ive only like two other movies of his. Top Gun and Days of Glory. Who was the cute fembot. would like to see more of her :bowdown:
                            I agree with you regarding Mr. Cruise. Overseer has compared him to Kevin Costner, which is convenient, since I don't like the work of either of them and won't go see them, particularly in an unbelievable plot like this one.

JS
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Haha, well I was saying he isn't comparable to Kevin Costner (who I despise).

In regard to the unbelievable plot, yeah I agree. The plot was out there. But remember, this is a movie. Movies are meant to tell stories with pictures. Not every movie has to be historically accurate. This was a historical fiction, and I believe a lot about the movie's setting was well done. It's nice to step away from the real world and real events sometimes.

(I know, I know: HERESY)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X