Samuri Class History Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuri Class History Help!

I have a History report due and my topic is on the history of the Samuri class in Japan. What are some good websites on this topic.
    My report only has to be two and a half pages long so I do not need to go into detail all that much.

Thanks you all for you time.

Here's one for you:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2127.html
    http://canadiangenealogyandresearch.ca

Soviet and Canadian medal collector!

Comment

A good book to read is "A Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. The same Musashi the japanese named their second mega-battlehsip after, in WWII, sister of the Yamato.

Musashi was a Ronin, wandering Samurai, during the 16th century. He spent the last years of his life as a hermit. The book is a product of that period in his life. The version I read has a brief, but good intro and history of the age.

I have the start of an essay, online, I once wrote: http://www.embrown.com/musashi.shtml

I wouldn't call it definitive, but it could help.

Semper fi!
      Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

I would reccomend Secrets of the Samurai by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook. It contains loads of information on their culture, weapons, and fighting techniques. Also, if you have the time or interest for long (LONG) books, the novel Taiko by Eiji Yoshikawa is excellent and very well written.
        A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Dr. Turnbull!

Most of the books written by Dr. Stephen Turnbull are great for the history, organization, and fighting tactics of Samurai.

He does have some Osprey Publishing books available (these tend to be short mini-books).

Also this depends on what era of samurai you want: the early formation (c. 700 CE), the rise of the shogun (c. 1100 to 1573 CE - actually 2 shogunates), the warring states (c. 1490s to 1603 CE), and the Tokugawa shogunate (1603 to 1868 CE). Dr. Turnbull tends to concentrate more on the warring states period.

But for websites:

www.samurai-archives.com is good :thumb:
          "The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving."

-Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
            Berlin.1945
            by casanova
            The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
            Yesterday, 23:41
          • casanova
            AW 169M
            by casanova
            The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
            Yesterday, 23:26
          • JBark
            What changed?
            by JBark
            There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
            Yesterday, 18:54
          Working...
          X