ZULU!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZULU!

Tonight’s feature is ZULU! A great film about brave men. Brave men on both sides.
    Last edited by KRJ; 01 Nov 18, 21:17.
    "Shoot for the epaulets, boys! Shoot for the epaulets!" - Daniel Morgan

I first saw it with my eldest brother when it came out in 1964. Excellent movie.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

An excellent film despite being historically inaccurate;- but then so many historical films are for the pedantic.
      The "prequel"" Zulu Dawn is better in this regard.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Pedantic. I had to look that up.

But anyway, I did a little reading and discovered some inaccuracies. Like tall and middle-aged Nigel Green as Colour Sergeant Bourne, OBE DCM. Frank Bourne was 5'6" tall and was 24-years-old at the time of the battle. Still, I don't think something like that takes away from the story of valor.

Interesting to me is that Frank Bourne died at age 91 in 1945. He was the last survivor of the battle.

Comment

Another inaccuracy is the portrayal of Harry Hook as a sluggard and shirker. Hook was a said to be a model soldier.

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
            Pedantic. I had to look that up.

But anyway, I did a little reading and discovered some inaccuracies. Like tall and middle-aged Nigel Green as Colour Sergeant Bourne, OBE DCM. Frank Bourne was 5'6" tall and was 24-years-old at the time of the battle. Still, I don't think something like that takes away from the story of valor.

Interesting to me is that Frank Bourne died at age 91 in 1945. He was the last survivor of the battle.
            One man's pedant is another man's purist.

The makers of Zulu were obviously keen to show a typical long-service Senior NCO in Victoria's army, and Nigel Green did it brilliantly. In George MacDonald Fraser's estimation "He WAS the old army".

As you say , Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne (later Lieutenant Colonel Bourne, OBE, DCM) in reality didn't correspond to that role.
            "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
            Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Photos show Bromhead and Chard were both heavily bearded
              Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
              Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by KRJ View Post
                Another inaccuracy is the portrayal of Harry Hook as a sluggard and shirker. Hook was a said to be a model soldier.
                Only 54mm tall

In reality he eventually retired with the rank of RSM
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
                Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post

Only 54mm tall
                  Uh, not that kind of model.

Smarta**!
                  Last edited by KRJ; 02 Nov 18, 17:24.

Comment

The one thing that the film missed out on was that the 24th was down to about twenty minutes worth of ammunition. If the remnants of the main force hadn't been coming up and the Zulus had made one more attack then Rorkes Drift would have fallen.
                    "Sometimes its better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness" T Pratchett

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X