No announcement yet.

Saracen Mounted Crossbowmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably rare because it would be very difficult to reload a crossbow whilst mounted unless it was an extremely weak bow - which would defeat its very object.
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      Probably rare because it would be very difficult to reload a crossbow whilst mounted unless it was an extremely weak bow - which would defeat its very object.
      The crossbow has a stirrup at the "muzzle" end, although I do not see any sign of the corresponding forked hook attached to the belt in these illustrations. Foot crossbowmen could recock these reasonably quickly by:
      • Position crossbow vertically withstirrup on ground and insert foot.
      • Squat and put the bowstring into the forked belt hook, one hook on each side of the stock,
      • Stand up.

I can envision a mounted crossbowan using a similar technique from the saddle when stopped.

Of course this could just have been cocked in the normal fashion on foot, then the bowman mounted up and attacked using a single shot before contact.

Could also be a depiction of mounted crossbowmen who took one shot from horseback and then dismounted and fought on foot. The horse actied more as a battlefield taxi.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPref View Post
        The crossbow has a stirrup at the "muzzle" end, although I do not see any sign of the corresponding forked hook attached to the belt in these illustrations. Foot crossbowmen could recock these reasonably quickly by:
        • Position crossbow vertically withstirrup on ground and insert foot.
        • Squat and put the bowstring into the forked belt hook, one hook on each side of the stock,
        • Stand up.

I can envision a mounted crossbowan using a similar technique from the saddle when stopped.

Of course this could just have been cocked in the normal fashion on foot, then the bowman mounted up and attacked using a single shot before contact.

Could also be a depiction of mounted crossbowmen who took one shot from horseback and then dismounted and fought on foot. The horse actied more as a battlefield taxi.
        Many early cross bows were cocked by putting a foot in the stirrup and pulling up the string with both hands, special gauntlets were often worn to protect the fingers when doing this or rope handles were used. This could not be done from the saddle. Alternatively a goats foot lever (carried on the belt when not in use) could be used but again this was done when standing. I attach links to illustrations. I have never seen a method such as you describe - can you provide a source?
        I think the concept of mounted infantrymen is indeed most likely.
        http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/crossbow-cocking.gif
        http://www.benjaminrose.com/wordpres...goats-foot.jpg
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
        Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X