Alexander the Great - Early Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexander the Great - Early Battles

I never really studied ATG having always preferred Hannibal, but lately I've wanted to study him. I mostly want to key in on his early battles (those before his move into Persia. I can find book after book on his Persian campaign, but can't seem to find much on this battles before then.

Can anyone recommend a couple of books that focus on his early campaigns. I've seen them listed at the Balkan Campaigns.
    Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Gre.../dp/0520042727

https://www.amazon.com/History-Art-W...ustomerReviews

Comment

Originally posted by Anthrax View Post
      I never really studied ATG having always preferred Hannibal, but lately I've wanted to study him. I mostly want to key in on his early battles (those before his move into Persia. I can find book after book on his Persian campaign, but can't seem to find much on this battles before then.

Can anyone recommend a couple of books that focus on his early campaigns. I've seen them listed at the Balkan Campaigns.
      Try Arrian, normally considered the best single source.
      Fortunately online here : https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_A...s_of_Alexander
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

This is an absolute must for anyone interested in ancient military battles. It explains why the absolute maximum size of a field army is 50k, unless it can be supplied by water.

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Hi Anthrax! I was excited to see your thread, as I could contribute handily here. Basically, the opening chapters of Arrian reveal the great logistic and diverse capacity of the Macedonian army solidifying its hold on a Greek realm. There was much strife in the year following the assassination of Philip II, and Alexander’s accession was ruthlessly enforced. This is ‘indirect’ evidence that Alexander did not build this great army apart from some presumed fine-tuning (there was no time to do so). His great father had both the merit and handicap of coming first, and the historiography is unfortunately scarce when looking for details regarding the army’s evolving construction. Over a quarter of a century (359-336 BC), Philip forged the great army of conquest which his son utilized brilliantly (amorally speaking, of course) to run roughshod in the eastern lands.

Just about all the modern biographies of repute on Alexander are very good with varying perspectives of interpretation and narrative. A particularly good one-two punch can be drawn from the works of Albert B. Bosworth and Nigel G. Hammond; the erudition of both is awe-inspiring, with the latter more of an apologist of the great Macedonian conqueror. Not just their major books, but a perusal on JSTOR, etc., will give one a smorgasbord of specific articles dealing with isolated subjects. Peter Green’s book is a fine read, too.

We’ll go over this!

James
          Last edited by SpartanJM; 15 Feb 20, 16:54. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Try Arrian, normally considered the best single source.
            Fortunately online here : https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_A...s_of_Alexander
            Yeah, found this one early.
            Thanks.
            Conservatives in the U.S. won't be happy until Jim Crow returns and "White Heterosexual Only" signs are legalized.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartanJM View Post
              Hi Anthrax! I was excited to see your thread, as I could contribute handily here. Basically, the opening chapters of Arrian reveal the great logistic and diverse capacity of the Macedonian army solidifying its hold on a Greek realm. There was much strife in the year following the assassination of Philip II, and Alexander’s accession was ruthlessly enforced. This is ‘indirect’ evidence that Alexander did not build this great army apart from some presumed fine-tuning (there was no time to do so). His great father had both the merit and handicap of coming first, and the historiography is unfortunately scarce when looking for details regarding the army’s evolving construction. Over a quarter of a century (359-336 BC), Philip forged the great army of conquest which his son utilized brilliantly (amorally speaking, of course) to run roughshod in the eastern lands.

Just about all the modern biographies of repute on Alexander are very good with varying perspectives of interpretation and narrative. A particularly good one-two punch can be drawn from the works of Albert B. Bosworth and Nigel G. Hammond; the erudition of both is awe-inspiring, with the latter more of an apologist of the great Macedonian conqueror. Not just their major books, but a perusal on JSTOR, etc., will give one a smorgasbord of specific articles dealing with isolated subjects. Peter Green’s book is a fine read, too.

We’ll go over this!

James
              Thanks for this.
              Looks like Hammond's book may be what I'm looking for. There is a decidedly lack of videos on Alexander's early battles. Most seem to focus on her later campaigns. I understand why but it's still a little frustrating. I can find detailed videos and analysis of his Persian battles but I wanted to start with his first battles.

JSTOR. I wish I still had access to that database.

Comment

You can attain up to three articles for free on JSTOR, Anthrax - go to their website and create an account (no charge for that, either). Moreover, you could go to the google books search engine and type in stuff like ‘Alexander in the Balkans vs Triballians’, etc. loads of books will come up, many which will have free previews, if only in part.

Hammond has a lot of works on Alexander - the one you probably will get the most out of is the the one titled Alexander the Great: King, Commander and Statesman. One from the 1950s which has not lost its touch is the biography by Fuller, who was a military expert, and another is the fine book by Robin Lane Fox. There’s one by Ashley which delved into every campaign of Philip and Alexander.

James
                Last edited by SpartanJM; 16 Feb 20, 14:59.

Comment

Originally posted by SpartanJM View Post
                  You can attain up to three articles for free on JSTOR, Anthrax - go to their website and create an account (no charge for that, either). Moreover, you could go to the google books search engine and type in stuff like ‘Alexander in the Balkans vs Triballians’, etc. loads of books will come up, many which will have free previews, if only in part.

Hammond has a lot of works on Alexander - the one you probably will get the most out of is the the one titled Alexander the Great: King, Commander and Statesman. One from the 1950s which has not lost its touch is the biography by Fuller, who was a military expert, and another is the fine book by Robin Lane Fox. There’s one by Ashley which delved into every campaign of Philip and Alexander.

James
                  Hey thinks.
                  When I was getting my history degree I was a JSTOR junkie. I loved that place.
                  I will definitely start looking at those books you suggest.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X