Sulla vs Marius: Civil War?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulla vs Marius: Civil War?

The war between Marius and Sulla was a civil war because they were both fighting for control of Rome. Both had to use force to seize the valuable city.
    Yes
    90.00%
    No
    10.00%
    Last edited by TankBrigade; 08 Aug 07, 05:22.
    "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Yes it was a civil war, the first civil war of the late republican period. It set in place a train of events that lead to the end of the Republic and the creation of the Empire under Augustus Caeser.

A good book on the subject is 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Rubicon is very good. Also, Langguth's "A Noise of War" is a good one for the intrigues that pick up after Sulla's death through Actium.
      "There are only two professions in the world in which the amateur excels the professional. One, military strategy, and, two, prostitution."
      -- Maj. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Avatar: Commodore Edwin Ward Moore, Republic of Texas Navy)

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
        Yes it was a civil war, the first civil war of the late republican period. It set in place a train of events that lead to the end of the Republic and the creation of the Empire under Augustus Caeser.

A good book on the subject is 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland.
        I dunno. I think I would date the beginning of the Roman civil war to the actions of the Brothers Grachhi (133-121 BC). They began the overthrow of the mos maiorum and their tribunates saw political bloodshed.

The Roman Civil War, to my mind, was characterized by the gradual overthrow of the mos maiorumm
        Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
          I dunno. I think I would date the beginning of the Roman civil war to the actions of the Brothers Grachhi (133-121 BC). They began the overthrow of the mos maiorum and their tribunates saw political bloodshed.

The Roman Civil War, to my mind, was characterized by the gradual overthrow of the mos maiorumm
          There were riots and disturbances and obviously a nasty end for the Graachi but no real armed conflicts that could be called a civil war - no battles, no opposing armies etc.

There was civil strife under the Graachis but not civil war.
          "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Originally posted by Surrey View Post
            There were riots and disturbances and obviously a nasty end for the Graachi but no real armed conflicts that could be called a civil war - no battles, no opposing armies etc.

There was civil strife under the Graachis but not civil war.
            Depends on the meaning of "civil war" I suppose. I take the Roman Civil War to mean those actions which led directly to the demise of the Republic. Certainly, the unrest at the time of the Graachi did not include pitched battles, but the actions of G Marius would have been unimaginable without the Graachi.
            Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X