Caesar vs Pompey: Choose Your Side!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caesar vs Pompey: Choose Your Side!

Which side would you have fought for in the Civil War (assuming that you would not know who would win)?
    Caesar
    70.97%
    Pompey
    29.03%
    Last edited by TankBrigade; 17 Jul 07, 07:07.
    "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Both are ambitious; both will claim the support of the Senate and People of Rome if it suits them. Pompeii Magnus, though, is over the hill. I'll go with G Julius Caesar and his celeritas.

Bringing current events into the matter, may I solicit your votes for TITVS PVLLO in MMVIII?
    Last edited by guthrieba; 17 Jul 07, 16:04. Reason: Add solicitation for Titus Pullo
    Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

Hail Caesar!
      "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

I vote for Caesar. and Titus pullo in 2008.
        Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by mike brown View Post
          I vote for Caesar. and Titus pullo in 2008.
          I'm sorry, but I don't think that you're eligible to vote in the US Presidential election.
          Don't leave good whiskey for the damn Yankees!" John Hunt Morgan, Eagleport, Ohio, July 23, 1863

Comment

I don't see a whole lot that is redeeming about either, as far as picking sides in a Civil War. There was no ideology involved that really differed. Caesar was more ambitious and broke the laws but Pompey wasn't really a great alternative choice.

at the least, however, "He was a Consul of ROME!"

Comment

Pompey was the one who brought Caesar into power, and allowed him to maintain that power until it was too late.

Pompey was extremely popular with his men and some of the enemies that he made in the Senate was because he kept his promise to them for land.
              Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Pompey, when all came down to it, defended the power of the Senate. Ceasar on the other hand had more in common with Vito Corleone and Tony Sapprano than he ever did with the Five Good Emperors. He was a two bit thug with an ego the size of Gaul and ambitions to match, I hope he rots in Hell. I'd fight with Pompey just to kill one of Caesar's henchmen.
                To quote Oni-wan: my loyalty is to the Republic, to democracy!
                How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Caesar. He was kicking ass in Gaul while Pompey was growing fat in political office. He had the combat hardened legions. He had the gall and the guts to fight and win.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolery View Post
                    Pompey, when all came down to it, defended the power of the Senate. Ceasar on the other hand had more in common with Vito Corleone and Tony Sapprano than he ever did with the Five Good Emperors. He was a two bit thug with an ego the size of Gaul and ambitions to match, I hope he rots in Hell. I'd fight with Pompey just to kill one of Caesar's henchmen.
                    To quote Oni-wan: my loyalty is to the Republic, to democracy!
                    Pompey would have been just as glad to fight the Senate, had the circumstances been different, I think. A major knock against Pompey is that he came to prominence under Lucius Sulla. Now if you want to talk thugs, Sulla's your man.

I suspect that it is difficult to find a worthy man among the prominent of Rome in 50 B.C. Maybe Cato, but I don't know enough about him to say for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by guthrieba View Post
                      Pompey would have been just as glad to fight the Senate, had the circumstances been different, I think.
                      Pompey had opportunities but never chose to seize them. Pompey willingly dissolved his legions to assure the Senate, on the other hand.....Caesar refused to relinquish his command

A major knock against Pompey is that he came to prominence under Lucius Sulla. Now if you want to talk thugs, Sulla's your man.
                      Sulla was also the man that allowed Caesar to live. Pompey was defeating Marian generals before Caesar even thought beyond his own personal survival.
                      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Hail Caeser. We who are about to die, salute you. I would have wanted to fight with Ceasers Spanish legions of the 5th-10th. They were his most trusted and he could depend on them at all cost. Although the 8th later defected, it was still a force to be recconed with.
                        The Texan has spoken, and approves of this message

Comment

Originally posted by salinator View Post
                          Pompey had opportunities but never chose to seize them. Pompey willingly dissolved his legions to assure the Senate, on the other hand.....Caesar refused to relinquish his command

Sulla was also the man that allowed Caesar to live. Pompey was defeating Marian generals before Caesar even thought beyond his own personal survival.
                          Fair enough. Certainly Caesar, not Pompey, crossed the Rubicon. Nonetheless, the two of them were the majority of the so-called First Triumvirate, and both played major roles in the demise of the Republic, a process which began before either of them rose to prominence.

Comment

Well, to be at Farsalos, by Popeius side? ekhm...
                            Vote for Ceasar!
                            - Your Highness, the enemy is so numerous... they outnumber your army.
                            - My friend, first I beat 'em then I'll count 'em
                            (Polish King Jan III Sobieski during his campaigns)

Historia Wojskowa Portal Historyczno-Wojskowy phw.org.pl

Comment

I chose Pompey's side. Both generals were in the first triumvirate with Crassus. Probably, if Crassus was not killed at Carhae, they would have ruled the Roman Republic together.

By the way, I apologize for the other post that asks this same question. There was a problem with my computer, and I ended up making two posts.

I wish they could make an interactive article about Caesar vs Pompey in ACG. That would be very different as opposed to the usual 20th or 19th century-related articles.
                              "Let arms yield rank to the toga of peace." -Cicero

"People complain about official corruption, but that's nothing compared with our criminal waste of time." -From Ikiru

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X