Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Hadrian's Wall...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadrian's Wall...

Giving up some spectacular new secrets...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...anda-unearthed

The long toll of the brave
    Is not lost in darkness
    Over the fruitful earth
    And athwart the seas
    Hath passed the light of noble deeds
    Unquenchable forever.

Romans fleeing from Britons? Bah!
    Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      Romans fleeing from Britons? Bah!
      Possible - the only written histories we have of the period were written by Romans for Romans who may have been just a smidgen partial.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

"lifestyle" - Pshaw!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
          Possible - the only written histories we have of the period were written by Romans for Romans who may have been just a smidgen partial.
          I don't know. Tacitus struck me as pretty candid about the ferocity and martial prowess of the Brigantes, the Silures, not to mention the Iceni. They all gave the legions a fair bit of trouble.
          I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
            I don't know. Tacitus struck me as pretty candid about the ferocity and martial prowess of the Brigantes, the Silures, not to mention the Iceni. They all gave the legions a fair bit of trouble.
            Of course he wasn't going to say they were push overs - what he does makes the Romans look even better - but he doesn't report any Roman defeats of regular Roman forces. The Icene massacred lots of civilians but they were quickly finished off when the Legions got organised. There were two battles involving the Brigante and the Silures close to where I live. After the second one the Roman commander in chief died at the Roman camp at Worcester but Tacitus is somewhat unrevealing about what happed to him but DOW is likely. The Roman's lost their cavalry commander at the previous one and again Tacitus was very discrete about this. So I would be cautious about how completely his accounts are to be trusted.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Of course he wasn't going to say they were push overs - what he does makes the Romans look even better - but he doesn't report any Roman defeats of regular Roman forces. The Icene massacred lots of civilians but they were quickly finished off when the Legions got organised. There were two battles involving the Brigante and the Silures close to where I live. After the second one the Roman commander in chief died at the Roman camp at Worcester but Tacitus is somewhat unrevealing about what happed to him but DOW is likely. The Roman's lost their cavalry commander at the previous one and again Tacitus was very discrete about this. So I would be cautious about how completely his accounts are to be trusted.
              Tacitus did claim that Suetonius slaughtered 80,000 Britons at Watling Street while suffering only 400 casualties himself. That doesn't paint the Britons as fierce opponents or even particularly clever.

As for defeats of regular Roman forces, he reported the rout of Legio IX Hispania at Camulodunum.
              Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Salinator View Post
                As for defeats of regular Roman forces, he reported the rout of Legio IX Hispania at Camulodunum.
                Legio IX? Roman milksops. Tungrii women sent them crying back to their Roman mothers at the battle of Asterix.

Comment

The long toll of the brave
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

if the swords were damaged then abandoning them makes more sense but the harness fittings - copper alloy would be relatively expensive and one assumes that they could be reused. In modern times the military in general have had a reputation for being a bit prodigal with material and it would seem had also been so in Roman times. Harness strap broken trooper? Toss it into the heap and draw a new harness set from the quartermaster"

Comment

By 120 AD though it seems the "Romans" weren't the actual Romans of centuries before..

The Garrison at Vindolanda at this time (cAD120) was made up of a combination of peoples including the 1st Cohort of Tungrians who heralded from modern day Belgium. They were joined by a detachment of Vardulli Cavalrymen from northern Spain. It is likely that the base held more than 1000 soldiers and probably many thousands more dependants including slaves and freedmen, representing one of the most multicultural and dynamic communities on the Frontier of the Roman Empire at the time.
                      Perhaps in a moment of crisis they dumped their Roman gear to make a getaway ?

Such a wealth of objects and nothing in the way of human remains would suggest the post was abandoned for some reason before it was overrun.

Roman practice was to destroy and burn a camp when they left, so perhaps the burned remains hid the objects now found ?
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Sep 17, 04:32.
                      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Using troops from parts of the empire to police other parts is a common practice in successful empires down the ages. Indian and African troops policed large areas of the British Empire outside of their own homelands. Indeed between the end of the South African war and the outbreak of WW1 all those outbreaks of trouble that had required military intervention had been handled by Indian and African units. The Germans after Mons ascribed the fighting qualities of the BEF to it containing a large number of veterans from colonial wars when in fact it contained few if any with such experience. Likewise the Roman part of the Roman army was largely there to protect Rome.
                        Last edited by MarkV; 14 Sep 17, 05:10.

Comment

No doubt - but a couple of hundred "Tungrians" (The Belgian settlement Tongeren and others, derive their name from the same root ?) would easily melt into the local population if not dressed in Roman garments ?

IS riding around in US American HVs after the Iraqi army deserted them, comes to mind as a comparison.
                          Last edited by Snowygerry; 14 Sep 17, 07:29.
                          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                            No doubt - but a couple of hundred "Tungrians" (The Belgian settlement Tongeren and others, derive their name from the same root ?) would easily melt into the local population if not dressed in Roman garments ?
                            Doubtful. Tribal distinctions were quite obvious in those days and some of the tribes in Britain hated each other at least as much as the Romans.

Comment

(...) Tribal distinctions were quite obvious in those days .
                              Well I wonder -

I imagine it would be much the same as Sunni Iraqi trying to dress down as a Shiite Iraqi, or growing a beard and join IS.

Doable - as long as no one thoroughly questions your identity.

Certainly - if I had to take a company of "Belgians" down from the North of Britain under these circumstances - my first order would be to dump any piece of equipment that looks remotely Roman,

except usable swords.

Which seems to fit the evidence available.

and some of the tribes in Britain hated each other at least as much as the Romans
                              That's a fact.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X