Caesar's Greatest Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caesar's Greatest Battle

What do you think Caesar's greatest battle is? Your decision could be based on tactical skill, difficulty, historic importance, or any other criteria.

So which is it, and why?
    Bibracte (Helvetti)
    0.00%
    Vosges (Ariovistus)
    0.00%
    Aisne (Belgae)
    0.00%
    Sambre (Nervii)
    14.29%
    Siege of Avaricum
    0.00%
    Siege of Gergovia
    0.00%
    Siege of Alesia
    57.14%
    Dyrrachium
    0.00%
    Pharsalus
    14.29%
    Nile
    0.00%
    Thapsus
    0.00%
    Munda
    7.14%
    None of the above
    7.14%
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Alesia

From a historical importance POV I'd be tempted to say Alesia.

Caesar's laid the foundations of his tremendous successes in Gaul
    and Alesia was his crowning achievement there.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Sennef View Post
      From a historical importance POV I'd be tempted to say Alesia.

Caesar's laid the foundations of his tremendous successes in Gaul
      and Alesia was his crowning achievement there.
      Above was for glory.

Pharsalus was for life or death.
      Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

I chose Nervii for the desperate situation and Caesar's personal leadership. From his memoirs:

"All the standards of the Twelfth had been collected into one cramped space so it men were packed close toether and getting in each other's way as they fought. All the centurions of the fourth cohort had been killed. ... In the other cohorts nearly all the centurions had been either killed or wounded.... ... And all the while, the enemy in front kept pouring up the hill an d were pressing us on both flanks."

"I recognized that this was a crisis: there were no reserves available. I had no shield with me but I snatched one from a soldier in the rear ranks and went forward to the front line. Once there, I called out to all the centurions by name and shouted encouragement to the rest of the men. I ordered them to advance and to open out their ranks so that they could use their swords more effectively. My arrival gave the troops fresh hope; their determination was restored because, with the commander-in-chief looking on, each man was eager to do his best whatever the risk to himself. As a result the enemy's attack was slowed down a little."

He saw the Seventh legion close to the Twelfth also under pressure from the enemy and ordered them join and form a square formation so they could attack the enemy from any direction.

Two legions protecting the baggage train at the rear of the column quickened their pace and begame visible on top of the hill in full view of the enemy.

"Their arrival changed things entirely."
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I chose the Nervii for the same reasons as R.N Armstrong. It was his toughest battle, he fought on person, and the Nervii may have been the hardiest enemies he fought, including Romans. I'm thinking of how he mentioned them fighting on mounds of their dead comrades and catching the Roman spears; he was obviously impressed.

If I had to pick a second I would say Pharsalus. It was at least as historically important as Alesia, and his tactic of stabbing the rookie cavalry in the face was brilliant.

Comment

GJC's greatest lost battle was with the Patricians. He had won over the Legions and the Plebeians. He thought he had the 'royals' on his side, or at least neutral, in the main. He was wrong, and remains one of histories greatest alternative histories if he had succeeded in his aims.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I think either Pharsalus or Munda would do in a pitch.

Weren't both battles life or death situations for Caesar?

In either case, had he lost, it would have been all but over for him.

Munda was especially the toughest and hardest fought battle, as Caesar was said to have fought for his dear life as he hung on with the right wing (his favorite Legion X).

It was also the final hurdle for Caesar before gaining full control of Roman Republic. After the battle, conservative forces were in complete disarray and could not put up another major fight.

Munda isn't the most widely recognized battle in Caesar's military career, but in every way it was significant as more well known battles.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                I think either Pharsalus or Munda would do in a pitch.

Weren't both battles life or death situations for Caesar?

In either case, had he lost, it would have been all but over for him.

Munda was especially the toughest and hardest fought battle, as Caesar was said to have fought for his dear life as he hung on with the right wing (his favorite Legion X).

It was also the final hurdle for Caesar before gaining full control of Roman Republic. After the battle, conservative forces were in complete disarray and could not put up another major fight.

Munda isn't the most widely recognized battle in Caesar's military career, but in every way it was significant as more well known battles.

A loss at Pharsalus would've ended Caesar's career. I've read that Munda was equally pivotal, but I don't know why; maybe because he risked his own life.

You're right that Munda was difficult, but I wouldn't say more so than the Nervii. Munda was a pitched battle and was won by the fighting skill of the X Legion, and I give Caesar extra credit for the battle against the Nervii because he was ambushed and fought with only a part of his force, and because the battle seemed to require more mental vigour, e.g.,

After haranguing the Tenth Legion, Caesar started for the right wing...taking therefore a shield from a soldier of the rearmost ranks...he went forward into the first line...perceiving that the Seventh Legion, which had formed up near at hand, was also harassed by the enemy, Caesar instructed the tribunes to close the legions gradually together, and then, wheeling, to advance against the enemy,
                Historically, Munda was the conclusive battle of the Civil War, but Pharsalus was the most powerful blow dealt to the Pompeiian faction. The battle against the Nervii was not devoid of importance-they were reputed the best fighters in Gaul after the Helvetti, and when Caesar finished defeating these two, the rest of Gaul submitted fairly easily.

Comment

Pharsalus hands down!
                  Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
                  Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X