Do you think the Trojan War happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the Trojan War happened?

What are your opinions on the legends of Troy and the Homeric tales? I think mainly because of the archaeological evidence from project Troia and the great effect on Greek legends that the war probably did take place but not on a scale described in works such as the Iliad an the Odyssey. What do you think?
    Yes
    51.72%
    Yes, but on a much smaller scale
    37.93%
    No, it's a myth
    3.45%
    Other (Please explain!)
    6.90%

I think it more likely than not and that it is a tale of a wider conflict between to of the great powers of the time, Mycenae and the Hittites.
    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

With archaeological evidence we're quite sure it did happen.
      First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

Comment

Originally posted by calger14 View Post
        What are your opinions on the legends of Troy and the Homeric tales? I think mainly because of the archaeological evidence from project Troia and the great effect on Greek legends that the war probably did take place but not on a scale described in works such as the Iliad an the Odyssey. What do you think?
        Well, the Romans certainly believed that it happened. They believed that Aeneas brought the Trojan legacy to Italy and founded Rome.

Comment

Originally posted by Barca View Post
          Well, the Romans certainly believed that it happened. They believed that Aeneas brought the Trojan legacy to Italy and founded Rome.
          Reading the Aeneid right now

Comment

Of course it happened!

I say flat out yes. The horse is a proven to be fake but you never know...

Comment

It was a real event, among many similar events of the time.
              "A common thug can kill someone, but it takes the talents of an intelligence service to make a murder appear to be a suicide or accident death." -- James Angleton, CIA, Chief of Counterintelligence.

Comment

The excellent BBC Radio 4 programme, In Our Time covered this exact question and the response of the panel of academics who took part was a pretty clear "no".

Troy almost certainly did not exist and the many remains that have been uncovered are actually fairly random buildings with little historical context.

The programme is available as a free podcast on the BBC Radio 4 homepage. Worth listening to and a great source for historical debate by solid professional academics.
                What would Occam say?

Comment

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_VII#section_1

Comment

Ah, Wikipedia says it happened...must be so then.
                    What would Occam say?

Comment

It gives you the sources you can follow to ascertain Wiki is correct. The archaeological findings seem definite enough.

Comment

The evidence suggests to me that "a" Trojan war happened and whether it was the revenge raid for Helen being kidnapped or a series of horse raids by the Myceneans, I don't know.

The1250 BC ruins Schleimann discovered were apparantly destroyed by earthquake while the earlier ones do shopw signs of a siege, i.e arrowheads in the streets and fire marks. Possibly Homer conflated multiple stories of the numerous "Sea People" wars and myriad other oral tales into the Illiad, but I am convinced that a walled city on which the Trojan war was based did indeed exist.
                        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                        George Mason
                        Co-author of the Second Amendment
                        during Virginia’s Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                          It gives you the sources you can follow to ascertain Wiki is correct. The archaeological findings seem definite enough.
                          There is no shortage of evidence that there were significant settlements in that part of Turkey and that there was a lot of conflict there but there i no evidence at all that these were tied in any way to what we refer to as "Troy". As far as I am aware it is a later invention based in myth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j6srl
                          What would Occam say?

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                            There is no shortage of evidence that there were significant settlements in that part of Turkey and that there was a lot of conflict there but there i no evidence at all that these were tied in any way to what we refer to as "Troy". As far as I am aware it is a later invention based in myth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j6srl
                            The geologic and archaeological evidence is definite enough for me. It happened but Homer's tale is obviously exagerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Delenda estRoma View Post
                              The geologic and archaeological evidence is definite enough for me. It happened but Homer's tale is obviously exagerated.
                              But evidence of what?
                              What would Occam say?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X