X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin: Scope of "Pike And Shot" Subforum

What is the scope of this subforum?

Short version: 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

Euro-focused, but not exclusively European, from the fall of Constantinople (1453 AD) through the end of the War of the Spanish Succession (1714 AD). It should be Euro-focused.

Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, and I have arbitrarily drawn a line between the War of the Spanish Succession and later wars -- I have also rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS
    Last edited by Admiral; 21 Nov 06, 18:30.
    Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
    Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
    http://www.mormon.org
    http://www.sca.org
    http://www.scv.org/
    http://www.scouting.org/

Originally posted by Janos

Short version: beginning of time from 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

Euro-focused, but not exclusively European, from the fall of Constantinople (1453 AD) through the end of the War of the Spanish Succession (1714 AD). It should be Euro-focused.

Constantinople's fall to the Ottomans in 1453 AD is usually considered the end of the Medieval Era, and I have arbitrarily drawn a line between the War of the Spanish Succession and later wars -- I have also rounded the dates -- as you may -- to make the math easy.

JS
    I think you are on good lines there, the main century of the pike and musket was ofcourse from 1600 to the early 1700.
    Yes?
    But embryonic pike war can be seen even at agincourt, every man behind his stake that was a thick pike in effect, and instead of the musket or Arbequeiser, they had longbows...
    "SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM" - " If you want peace, prepare for war".

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by 17poundr
      I think you are on good lines there, the main century of the pike and musket was ofcourse from 1600 to the early 1700.
      Yes?
      But embryonic pike war can be seen even at agincourt, every man behind his stake that was a thick pike in effect, and instead of the musket or Arbequeiser, they had longbows...
      Roger, I understand, but only had a few places in which to put all of history.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Roger, I understand, but only had a few places in which to put all of history.
        Well, we could have just, modern stuff, ww2, ww1 and all that old crud as our forums!

Funnily enough the falances of the ancient greeks and macedonians, were very similar to the pike formations, I belie that the Macedonian pike was a similar length than the 1600 pike!

If acted upon in time, ww2 could have been stopped without a single bullet being fired. - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Well, we could have just, modern stuff, ww2, ww1 and all that old crud as our forums!

Funnily enough the falances of the ancient greeks and macedonians, were very similar to the pike formations, I belie that the Macedonian pike was a similar length than the 1600 pike!
          I think you're right on the pike length, but it makes sense -- there is a physical limit to how long a pike you can carry and use effectively, and you want to go as long as you can to allow more ranks to stick there pointy ends towards the enemy.

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:

Comment

Don't forget the Scotish schiltrons (sp?) of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.........
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
              Don't forget the Scotish schiltrons (sp?) of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.........
              ACTUALLY THE TACTIC TO DEFEAT A HEAVY CAV CHARGE DEPICTED IN BRAVEHEART (THE HISTORY DISTORTER)...
              CAME FORM THE SUCCESFULL DEPLOYMENT OF STAKES TO DEFEND A SQUARE OF INFANTY, IN FLANDERS IN 1200 SOMETHIG, AND I BELIVE THE TECHNIQUE WAS CALLED THE BRUGGE SQUARE OR SOMETHING TO THAT EFFECT.
              OFCOURSE MEL INVENTS IT IN THE FILM, BUT HE BEAT CORNWALLIS SINGLE HANDED IN THE PATRIOT TOO SO... I WONDER IF HE SOULD BE PARASHUTED SOMEWHERE SOUTH OF BAGHADAD, AND SEE HIS GREAT OPPINONS OF THE EVIL BRITS TAKE OFF WHEN A TECHNICAL STARTS TO CHASE HIM...

Comment

Nothing bad ever happens to Mel Gibson and to speak of such things is heresy (Although I would not mind to see him running from a band of well... anyone and face river over river without bridges as divine justice for the Battle of the Stirling BRIDGE)

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Koleoglu
                  Nothing bad ever happens to Mel Gibson and to speak of such things is heresy (Although I would not mind to see him running from a band of well... anyone and face river over river without bridges as divine justice for the Battle of the Stirling BRIDGE)
                  I think Mel deserves alot of running from somekind of enraged people (Maybe history students)???

His Vietnam film is the only one which is quite correct, because the book he based it on, is all true, and the men who fought and survived are mostly alive.
                  Still he had to change the ending for no good reason, he just cant help himself, history must be distorted in some way or mel hasnt got his 'fix'...

Comment

Short version: beginning of time from 1450 AD through 1720 AD. primarily based in Europe.

JS
                    Where should one go to discuss late Japanese (Samurai) warfare?
                    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
                      Where should one go to discuss late Japanese (Samurai) warfare?
                      It currently seems to be pigeon-holed in "Ancient Era", though the 'sticky' definition of "The Colonial era and Asia" would put it there.
                      Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

Originally posted by Weeble
                        It currently seems to be pigeon-holed in "Ancient Era", though the 'sticky' definition of "The Colonial era and Asia" would put it there.
                        Thanks, must have missed it. Their "sticky" guidance was not later than 450 AD. And Middle Ages wants to be Europe only. Both of which eliminate early Samurai. I was looking to see if there was discussion about the Japanese step back from the use of firearms for about 100 years.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Thanx Weeble!

I must get through the "Ages" & see where any improvements might be made to better organize them. There is much left out in the atrium that I would like to move into a more benificial & relivent "Age". If one is un-sure, it can always be moved later or posted there until I can get some of this done.

Any suggestions are welcome. As I found out not long after the various "Ages" were created, not all is possible, but I think we must do what we can to clarify where possible.

I would appreciate any thoughts on any aspect of WTTA as well.

Hmmm... a suggestion box may be in order...

Last edited by Admiral; 02 Nov 05, 13:04.
                          On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

As ********* tried to tell me recently - as set up - little might be changed. Anything here regarding Samurai would go or be in "The Colonial era and Asia".

On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                              Thanx Weeble!

I must get through the "Ages" & see where any improvements might be made to better organize them. There is much left out in the atrium that I would like to move into a more benificial & relivent "Age". If one is un-sure, it can always be moved later or posted there until I can get some of this done.

Any suggestions are welcome. As I found out not long after the various "Ages" were created, not all is possible, but I think we must do what we can to clarify where possible.

I would appreciate any thoughts on any aspect of WTTA as well.

Hmmm... a suggestion box may be in order...

How about a pre 1900 far eastern subforum?
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X