This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite moments in the Age of Pike & Shot

Within the Age of Pike & Shot - 1450 through 1720 - what is/was your favorite period, or military occurrence???

And more interestingly... Why???

Last edited by Admiral; 20 Jul 07, 06:04.
    On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

The Pequot War
    The English Civil Wars
    King Philip's War
    Bacon's Rebellion
    King William's War
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

And more interestingly... Why
      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

My favourite event is the conquest of Egypt by Sultan Selim 1517. He passed the Sina Desert to accomplish this objective. Before him, only Alexander the great passed that desert. After him Israeli Army would pass that desert following the same path that he had followed.
        The night before they start the journey, he invites his commanders in his tent. As they were discussing the strategy to follow, one of his commanders tell him that passing the desert is not a good option and it would fail. At that moment Sultan Selim asks for a fatwa(religious law)from Sheikh ul Islam to execute this commander. He accuses his commander for damaging the moral of troops and other commanders. He calls this as high treason. Sheikh ul Islam grants the fatwa and the commander gets executed.
        During their 2 week trip through the desert, soldiers start to disobey their orders and protest the desicions of Sultan. Sultan Selim makes a speech to his men and punishes the responsible COs. His actions against disobedience is still shown as a lesson of command psychology to young cadets in academy.
        After 13 days they were out of desert. They fought against the Mamelukes in Ridaniyah January 22, 1517. They won the battle and on February 15, 1517, Sultan Selim enters Cairo. On February 20, 1517, during the Friday prayer, he was proclaimed as the Caliph(the leader of all Muslims).

Regards
        Fatih
        "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
          And more interestingly... Why???
          I didn't have time to go into that earlier. Basically I have a deep obsession with New England history, including it's military history, hence my inclusion of the Pequot War, King Philip's War, and King William's War in my list. I've started threads previously about the Pequot War and King Philip's War explaining a little of why I find these interesting.

The Pequot War

King Philip's War

The English Civil Wars I'm less familiar with, but I'm beginning to get more into them. Especially because of my interest in English Puritanism, which I find fascinating. I'm more familiar with the religious causes of the struggle.

Bacon's Rebellion is very interesting too. 1675-6 was not a good time for the colonies. At the same time New England was being decimated, Virginia was being torn apart as well, to a lesser extent.

Bacon's Rebellion

Comment

A very interesting thread about Metacomet. I was barely able to visit when you guys discussed that one. So much was happening with me then that I missed alot that was of interest to me back then.

I don't mean to plow old ground, but I definately appreciate it, HG!

As I recall somebody here has some heritage dating back to this.

Can't remember who it is, though...

Thanx, my friend!

Admiral
            Last edited by Admiral; 28 Jan 06, 23:28.

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Glad you found it interesting. That "somebody" was probably me. Jabez Howland, son of my 10th great-grandfather and Mayflower passenger John Howland, served with Capt. Benjamin Church (father of the rangers) during King Philip's War. I also have a few other ancestors that were living in towns (Taunton and Rehoboth) in Plymouth Colony that were attacked during the war, but have no official records of their service.

Comment

My favorite moments during this period are the successive integrations of firearms, in weapons, formations and tactics, from Maurice of Nassau through Gustavus Adolphus. If one wants to talk about revolutions in military affairs and look at the ripple effect of new technologies, these "moments" in the period are a classic example.
                Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Siege of Vienna, saved Europe from being overrun by the Ottomans. IMHO the most important battle in history.
                  Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                  Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                  http://www.mormon.org
                  http://www.sca.org
                  http://www.scv.org/
                  http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Janos
                    Siege of Vienna, saved Europe from being overrun by the Ottomans. IMHO the most important battle in history.
                    Ralph Peters in his "New Glory" believes that too.

Comment

Although largely overlooked in the US education system, I would have to go with Poltava icluding the whole campaign leading up to it (1709 which would be the tail end of this period as it has been defined ). It marked the birth of the Russian tactic of falling back until logistics of the invader failed ( clearly neither Napoleon or Hitler studied it) and it totally changed the balance of power in Europe for the next 200 years.
                      Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss
                        Although largely overlooked in the US education system, I would have to go with Poltava icluding the whole campaign leading up to it (1709 which would be the tail end of this period as it has been defined ). It marked the birth of the Russian tactic of falling back until logistics of the invader failed ( clearly neither Napoleon or Hitler studied it) and it totally changed the balance of power in Europe for the next 200 years.
                        Apparently, Napoleon did read Charles XII's campaign. And Kleist was reading Napoleon's campaign during the invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
                          Apparently, Napoleon did read Charles XII's campaign. And Kleist was reading Napoleon's campaign during the invasion.
                          Read perhaps, but not marked, learned and inwardly digested given in the end the both fell to similar strategies.
                          Boston Strong!

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss
                            Read perhaps, but not marked, learned and inwardly digested given in the end the both fell to similar strategies.
                            Who ever said anyone learns from history.

Comment

Originally posted by R.N. Armstrong
                              Who ever said anyone learns from history.
                              Yeah but I am glad some of you keep writing it anyway. Of course my pet peeve with modern historian is: "When the heck did we decide maps have no place in military history books?"
                              Boston Strong!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X