Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did your ancestors do in the Age of Pike and Shot?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did your ancestors do in the Age of Pike and Shot?

The Armstrongs were border reivers between England and Scotland. The often raided with the Elliots. They invented the insurance racket centuries before Al Capone. Mail was the rent one paid on their property. Blackmail was what you paid the Armstrong's not to burn down your house and steal your cattle. The Armstrongs, along with other great border families, were some of the best light cavalry in western Europe, and they hired out to different armies.
    Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Hmmm....

Other than a native American connection all of my ancesters seem to have come from farming backgrounds in England. In family lore the is a Salzburger connection to Germany but I have not been able to trace that.

Oh yeah!!! There is the McRae line two generations back.

I don't know anything about the McRaes of Scotland. We don't have any type of blood-feud we're honor bound to pursue do we??
    "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
    Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

The earliest ancestors I know of came to New England in the 17th century. Some came on the Mayflower in 1620 to found Plymouth, others came to Massachusetts Bay in 1635. Many of these ancestors were involved in the military history of New England including King Philip's War, and the later French & Indian Wars.
      "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Well, I'm related (indirectly, obviously, but there is a link) to George Washington (and through him to Patton, which may or may not be a good thing), and I think we all understand what he did.

However, my namesake ancestors came from Bristol, England in 1648. A chap by the name of Bartholomew Stovall sailed across the Atlantic. I do not know exactly where but I believe he arrived in Virginia.

That is about all the information I have.

Comment

During that era my relatives were mostly artisans and "hewers of wood and drawers of water". My father's family goes back to the Mayflower and my mother's to Plymouth so from 1609 onward they were mostly getting the heck out of England. The other major influence in the family are Scots who were transported after the Rising of 45 which is a little beyond this period. Mostly Sutherlands who stood for the Prince when the Earl stood for the crown. Needless to say, the Earl did not look on them too kindly when the crown won. They were lucky to get transported.
          Boston Strong!

Comment

In the age of Pike and Shot the Scottish side of my family was fighting each other and fighting the British. No info on the native side. Probably living peacefully in the last days before the Europeans arrived. My German ancestors were farmers.
            There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Shoot at each other across the Boyne. Family reunions are a constant reminder that hostilities have not yet ceased....
              Andy "Weeble" Weaver

Research, Reference and Historical Study

Illud Latine dici non potest

Comment

First known to fight during War of the Roses, by Cromwell's time we were still fighting along the Scottish-English border while doing the "merchant" thing. Family members eventually headed into the Carribean trading in rhum spices and sugar as well as harrassing Spanish shipping. Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad eventually replaced Newcastle and York as the family base but there are still a number of us in northern England.
                The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Originally posted by The Purist
                  First known to fight during War of the Roses, by Cromwell's time we were still fighting along the Scottish-English border while doing the "merchant" thing. Family members eventually headed into the Carribean trading in rhum spices and sugar as well as harrassing Spanish shipping. Barbados, Grenada and Trinidad eventually replaced Newcastle and York as the family base but there are still a number of us in northern England.
                  Well my lowalnd Scottish relatives were busy stealing English cattle at that time.
                  Boston Strong!

Comment

I'm not sure, but on my father's side I think they were probably digging up potatoes in Ireland, and on my mom's side they might have been gypsies in Budapest, Hungary.
                    Slug
                    Family Photo from Hungary
                    in
                    Olde Europe

Last edited by Slug; 19 Jan 06, 22:14.
                    "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Well... one of me favorites was at the end of this era & a bit after. Eventually George III proved to be a strong proponent of his rightfully receiving the 20,000 pound Longitude Prize for H4 after far to many years. This after the King had tested H5 & found it to have lost only 4.5 seconds in 10 days.

James Cook used a copy of H4 in his voyages.

His 5 pieces - later named H1 - H5, H4 being the most famously pivotal - still exist & were rediscovered after WWI & somewhat restored at the Royal Greenwich Observatory.

Last edited by Admiral; 19 Jan 06, 22:48.
                      On the Plains of Hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest-and resting... died. Adlai E. Stevenson

ACG History Today

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by JSMoss
                        Well my lowalnd Scottish relatives were busy stealing English cattle at that time.
                        Maybe your relatives rode with the Armstrong's? The Armstrong's were in the western marches.
                        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

I originaly come from the East Coast of Scotland where many of the local dilect words are German or French in origin....anyway my late aunt was a tracer of family history and she got back as far as the 14th cent...Well it turns out that my fathers side of the tree when not fishing or farming hired out as mercenaries for the French in the off season...guess everybody has to turn a pound/franc when they can

per ardua ad astra

Comment

My Mother's family were the hereditary chamberlains of Baden, which was still a Margraviate during that era, IIRC. My Wife's family were ruling Korea. Not sure what my Dad's family were doing.
                            Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                            Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                            http://www.mormon.org
                            http://www.sca.org
                            http://www.scv.org/
                            http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Both my father's and mother's side were living in Caucasus Mountains. They were Christian farmers.The Mongols had probably just left their land.

Regards
                              Fatih
                              "A nation which makes the final sacrifice for life and freedom does not get beaten." - Mustafa Kemal ATATURK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X