The brave Anabaptist- Anneken Hendricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The brave Anabaptist- Anneken Hendricks

Hendricks whom was an Anabaptist and was opposed by other Christians for a difference of opinion on the Christian doctrine.... meant her death with extreme courage and bravery. Hendricks has gone down in Christian history as a martyr,

Anabaptists — practitioners of adult baptism — were heavily persecuted in the Low Countries and throughout Europe, particularly after right-thinking folk were shocked by the short-lived Anabaptist commune at Muenster. Anneken Hendriks, sure enough, had by the words of the sentence against her “not been for six or seven years at confession, or at the holy, reverend sacrament, but went to the meetings of the cursed sect of Mennonists or anabaptists, so that they have even held secret meetings or assemblies at her house.” She also threatened traditional marriage by “marrying” her husband “by night, at a country seat, after the manner of the Mennonists.”

Our source here notes that Anneken Hendricks was tortured by rack and strappado for the names of other Anabaptists. She refused to divulge any, but she was chatty enough on the way to her burning — warning her former neighbor that God would punish him if he kept up the Judas act, and spurning her Catholic would-be confessors — until they stuffed her mouth with gunpowder to still her heretical tongue.

http://www.executedtoday.com/2013/11...sed-mennonist/
    Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
    Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Thanks for the short article. After reading I looked online for more about Anabaptists and was surprised to find that their deviant theology was only half of it. They were persecuted, by people like Martin Luther as well as the Church of Rome, for the secular ramifications of their lifestyle. Half of Luther's criticism and support of banishment or death for Anabaptists was based on their not taking part in communal government and declining military service, and he supported the temporal princes' punishment of them for this disruption of the established social order. In a big way, early Protestantism as well as Catholicism were not proponents of individualism. Odd to our modern ears accustomed to the ideology of the individual's natural rights.

Comment

Originally posted by mconrad View Post
      Thanks for the short article. After reading I looked online for more about Anabaptists and was surprised to find that their deviant theology was only half of it. They were persecuted, by people like Martin Luther as well as the Church of Rome, for the secular ramifications of their lifestyle. Half of Luther's criticism and support of banishment or death for Anabaptists was based on their not taking part in communal government and declining military service, and he supported the temporal princes' punishment of them for this disruption of the established social order. In a big way, early Protestantism as well as Catholicism were not proponents of individualism. Odd to our modern ears accustomed to the ideology of the individual's natural rights.
      Your welcome and thank you very much for the contribution.
      Long live the Lionheart! Please watch this video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=jRDwlR4zbEM
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3DBaY0RsxU
      Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S Patton

Comment

The alleged Catholic praising a heretic?

Can't keep your backstory straight.
        Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Jack View Post
          Hendricks whom was an Anabaptist and was opposed by other Christians for a difference of opinion on the Christian doctrine.... meant her death with extreme courage and bravery. Hendricks has gone down in Christian history as a martyr,

Anabaptists — practitioners of adult baptism — were heavily persecuted in the Low Countries and throughout Europe, particularly after right-thinking folk were shocked by the short-lived Anabaptist commune at Muenster. Anneken Hendriks, sure enough, had by the words of the sentence against her “not been for six or seven years at confession, or at the holy, reverend sacrament, but went to the meetings of the cursed sect of Mennonists or anabaptists, so that they have even held secret meetings or assemblies at her house.” She also threatened traditional marriage by “marrying” her husband “by night, at a country seat, after the manner of the Mennonists.”

Our source here notes that Anneken Hendricks was tortured by rack and strappado for the names of other Anabaptists. She refused to divulge any, but she was chatty enough on the way to her burning — warning her former neighbor that God would punish him if he kept up the Judas act, and spurning her Catholic would-be confessors — until they stuffed her mouth with gunpowder to still her heretical tongue.

http://www.executedtoday.com/2013/11...sed-mennonist/
          The gunpowder was probably an act of kindness, ie a quick death, rather than a slow roast.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Anabaptist were viewed with great hostility from both ends of the Christian spectrum so that strict protestants were as likely to hang them as Catholics to burn them. They were viewed by many as potential religious terrorists and indeed some Anabaptist sects would not only go cheerfully to their deaths but just as cheerfully kill those who did not share their views. Sounds horribly familiar.
            Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
            Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
              The alleged Catholic praising a heretic?

Can't keep your backstory straight.
              What is also interesting is that Anna baptists were consider heretics by other Christians.

By contrast, leading Sunni scholars do not view ISIS has heretical of Islam. They have committed sins, by say burning fellow Muslims alive, but their vision of Islam with it's aggressively violent interpretation of jihad, is consistent enough with the Koran and Hadith for it not to be considered heretical.

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                What is also interesting is that Anna baptists were consider heretics by other Christians.

By contrast, leading Sunni scholars do not view ISIS has heretical of Islam. They have committed sins, by say burning fellow Muslims alive, but their vision of Islam with it's aggressively violent interpretation of jihad, is consistent enough with the Koran and Hadith for it not to be considered heretical.
                Yes - you're just repeating what I said in my preceding post.
                Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                  Yes - you're just repeating what I said in my preceding post.
                  No I wasn't. I was pointing out that by CONTRAST ISIS are NOT heretics. An important difference for the apologists who want to describe their outlook as "unIslamic"

Comment

Originally posted by lynelhutz View Post
                    No I wasn't. I was pointing out that by CONTRAST ISIS are NOT heretics. An important difference for the apologists who want to describe their outlook as "unIslamic"
                    Only because you omitted the word Some Sunni scholars do not view ISIS has heretical

And I take issue with "leading" please give evidence for this BTW leading doesn't mean has the loudest voice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
                      Only because you omitted the word Some Sunni scholars do not view ISIS has heretical

And I take issue with "leading" please give evidence for this BTW leading doesn't mean has the loudest voice.
                      I wasn't shouting or leading, just trying emphasize words in order to make clear a distinction between what you had said and what I had said. A distinction made necessary by accusation of apparent plagiarism.

Which in itself is odd since internet threads, and including most of the one's here, are usually replete repetitive thoughts and posts. So even I had repeated your thought.....???

Was that an apology BTW ?

The source was Al-Azhar University in Cairo.

Do you have another internationally recognized source of Sunni Muslim scholarship that condemns them explicitly as heretical rather than criminal?

Just for clarity, that is not rhetorical or me trying to be a smart ass, I'm honestly curious about other sources of opinion from leading scholars in Sunni Muslim majority countries.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X