Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest UK politician 1721-1945?

Gents,

I was reading up on a short passage on the coming UK elections and I played a game with myself by naming up all the politicians of the past I could remember from the top of my head.

Obviously, I could remember the most from the period 1700 up to WW II.

Now, I was wondering fellow members, which of the following politicians/ ministers do you consider the greatest and of course, I want to know WHY

Greets,
    Stratego
    Sir Robert Walpole
    2.33%
    The Earl of Bute
    0.00%
    George Grenville
    0.00%
    William Pitt the Elder
    9.30%
    Frederick Lord North
    0.00%
    William Pitt the Younger
    13.95%
    Charles Fox
    0.00%
    Henry Addington
    0.00%
    William Lord Grenville
    0.00%
    George Canning
    0.00%
    Duke of Wellington
    0.00%
    The Earl Grey
    4.65%
    Sir Robert Peel
    2.33%
    The Viscount Palmerston
    4.65%
    Benjamin Disraeli
    23.26%
    William Gladstone
    0.00%
    Arthur Balfour
    0.00%
    Herbert Asquith
    0.00%
    Lloyd George
    0.00%
    Winston Churchill
    39.53%
    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

That is a tough choice. Since my main interest is the Napoleonic wars, I voted for William Pitt the Younger. During this time, I think he was the most influencial political figure. I deliberately didn't vote for Churchill, since he is an obvious choice and probably will win this poll. I was tempted to vote Wellington. However, even though Wellington is my personal Hero, I'm aware that he was a capable politician, but a far better general. One of Wellingtons great politcal successes was in my humble opinion the catholic emanicipation act.

Comment

For me (and my limited knowledge on the subject) the elder Pitt is the greatest. It was his vision that led to Britain's victory in the Seven Years war.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I'd have to do a lot of studying, before I could do justice to this question. I have reasonable knowledge of Churchill, and some knowledge of a few other such as Gladstone, Disraeli and Lloyd George. As for Wellington, only his military career is at all familiar to me. Many more of those names mean very little to me at all.
        "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
        Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

The "Great Commoner," Pitt the Elder. Architect of Britain's victory in the Seven Years' War.
          "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

Clear cut there - Charles Grey, 2. Earl Grey, if a nation that is "actually only known for tea" - even starts a war for that e.g. Boston Tea Party, and names it's national beverage after a Primeminister - he must have exelled in his performance.

Hmm..makes me wonder - does Germany have a Bismarck Beer?

Regards
            Kruska

Comment

Originally posted by Kruska View Post
              Clear cut there - Charles Grey, 2. Earl Grey, if a nation that is "actually only known for tea" - even starts a war for that e.g. Boston Tea Party, and names it's national beverage after a Primeminister - he must have exelled in his performance.

Hmm..makes me wonder - does Germany have a Bismarck Beer?

Regards
              Kruska
              Not as far as I know, but Bismarck is the capitol of North Dakota. Thats got to count for something.

Comment

Good old Ben Disralie for me. I was tempted by Gladstone, the reforms he prompted helped turn Britain from a near feudal mess of "dark satanic mills" to a land where people could choose their ruler. His social reforms were similarly important. However without a doubt Disralie was the better politician, using wit and cunning to get the very reforms proposed by Gladstone blocked then proposing them himself and passing them. Truly one of the greatest British politicians of all time!

I considered Wellington and Churchill too but the former was a second rate politician who only got into power because of his personal celebrity and the corrupt system around him whilst Churchill, though a great war leader, showed both pre and post war his peacetime shortcomings.
                Last edited by Balloonatic; 12 Apr 10, 11:18.
                "Little pigs, little pigs, I've come to nick your tele!"

Comment

Originally posted by Balloonatic View Post
                  Good old Ben Disralie for me. I was tempted by Gladstone, the reforms he prompted helped turn Britain from a near feudal mess of "dark satanic mills" to a land where people could choose their ruler. His social reforms were similarly important. However without a doubt Disralie was the better politician, using wit and cunning to get the very reforms proposed by Gladstone blocked then proposing them himself and passing them. Truly one of the greatest British politicians of all time!
                  I agree on Disraeli. I always thought having Victoria crowned Empress of India was a mighty clever move.

Comment

Pitt, Peel or Disraeli?

I think I'll go for Sir Robert Peel.

-A sensational speaker

And mostly for his many internal successes, both his ministries passed many modern reforms:

-the Bobbies
                    -introduction of Income Tax to reduce the deficit after the Napoleonic Wars
                    -the Factory Act
                    -the Corn Laws
                    -his support to the South American War of Independence

Greets,
                    Stratego
                    Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily.- Napoleon

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.- Herman Melville

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

BORG

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                      Not as far as I know, but Bismarck is the capitol of North Dakota. Thats got to count for something.
                      Huh..-just checked good'ol Wiki - strongest beer in the world is called "Sink the Bismarck" - Scottish Brewery "BrewDog" 330mml bottle, 41% alcohol for 46 Euro/bottle

Sorry Stratego - back to thread

Regards
                      Kruska

Comment

As usual a good question but not easy to answer.

Two that won't make the cut is George and North.
                        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I went for Churchill. I was pondering on Pitt the Elder but I just couldn't prise myself free of that Funny, Artistic, prophetic, loyal, solid willful, energetic, principled cigar chewing, Whiskey swilling, orator; who showed courage in battle, escaped from Boer captivity. Won the Nobel prize for literature and wowed the Americans in their own seat of government. An absolute giant of world History and Politics.

The Man

Paul
                          ‘Tis said his form is tiny, yet
                          All human ills he can subdue,
                          Or with a bauble or medal
                          Can win mans heart for you;
                          And many a blessing know to stew
                          To make a megloamaniac bright;
                          Give honour to the dainty Corse,
                          The Pixie is a little shite.

Comment

William Pitt the Younger got my vote, after becoming PM at 24, he went on to dominate the political scene for 22 years, overseeing a complex and treacherous national crises, including the madness of his monarch, the French revolution and the trauma of the Napoleonic wars, which he would not see out. This man wore him self out in the service of his country (unlike the overpaid elected monkeys today), on the day before he died, he attempted to write his will, but could not after several tries to do so, being too weak.
                            His physician said after his death...'He died of old age at forty-six as much as if he had been ninety'
                            Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Voted 'Earl Grey'
                              as tea and the British Empire are closely connected at a much more basic level than just mere politics.
                              Tea is what made the Empire.
                              The PM and the tea named him must both be quintessentially British.

BTW, my favorite since I was 15 y/o.
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X