Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Baker's Dozen (North American History Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Boneheaded Moments in North American History

1. The moment that Canada recognized French as a "legal" language
    2. Dred Scott Decision

3. "Vinny the Chin" popping Frank Costello mere moments after the latter testified that there was no such thing as La Cosa Nostra

Costello was the "public face" of Lucky Luciano's "Commission," and as such, he looked more like a captain of industry than a gangster. One of his underlings, however, wanted a bigger slice of the pie, so capo Vincenzo Gigante shot him, blurting out, "this is for you, Frank." Costello survived, however, and wisely retired from that thing of theirs that never existed. Vinny the Chin went on to be Boss in his own right. In his later years, he took to wearing a bathrobe and pajamas in public, and feigning senility, in an effort to evade prosecution. It didn't work: he died in Federal prison five years ago.
    Last edited by slick_miester; 19 Oct 10, 15:24.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• Baker's Dozen of Most Bonheaded Moments in North American History

2. Dred Scott Decision
      3. "Vinny the Chin" popping Frank Costello mere moments after the latter testified that there was no such thing as La Cosa Nostra
      4. Mexico allowing Americans to immigrate to Texas, expecting them to become loyal Mexican citizens.

Last edited by Jonathanrex1; 19 Oct 10, 15:16.
      ´
      “You need to help people. I know it's not very Republican to say but you need to help people.” DONALD TRUMP, 2016

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision
        4. Mexico allowing Americans to immigrate to Texas, expecting them to become loyal Mexican citizens.

5. The US allowing Mexicans to immigrate to the US, expecting them to become law-abiding US citizens.

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision

5. The US allowing Mexicans to immigrate to the US, expecting them to become law-abiding US citizens
          6. Gerlado Rivera unlocking the secrets to Al Capone's vault on live television.

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision
            5. The US allowing Mexicans to immigrate to the US, expecting them to become law-abiding US citizens
            6. Gerlado Rivera unlocking the secrets to Al Capone's vault on live television.

7. Passage of the XVIII Amendment aka Prohibition

They look like they should be praying for liquor, 'cause without it I can't imagine much of anything willing to touch their lips.

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision

8. Passage of the Quebec Act and Intolerable Acts
              "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision

It's on the list, so I might as well plant it here.

9. Operation Iraqi Freedom - March 2003

Anyone with eyes could -- and did -- predict the following:

1) Saddam Hussein's precipitous removal from power resulted in a power vacuum, and freed up Iraq's various factions to settle old scores, to the degree that they still can't cobble together an effective national government;
                2) the US' system of alliances has been severely stressed without any resulting profit, ie we put Turkey in a ridiculous position, and we've gained nothing by it;
                3) the US has expended significant ammounts of blood and vast amounts of treasure for no appreciable gain;
                4) the election of war by fmr Pres Geo W Bush and his administration has essentially has served to remove military options from other hotspots where military options might be far more applicable, and our enemies know it;
                5) Saddam Hussein's precipitous removal from power resulted in a power vacuum, and Iran has moved deliberately to fill that vacuum, and not just in Iraq, but also in Lebanon, and throughout the rest of the Middle East, as well. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that the only beneficiaries of OIF are living in Tehran.

Kids will be reading about OIF a century from now and learning how NOT to conduct a foreign policy.

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision

It's on the list, so I might as well plant it here.

10. "Chicago Tribune" has headline "Dewey Defeats Truman" November 3, 1948.

Comment

2. Dred Scott Decision

11. Charles de Gaulle declaring "Vive le Quebec libre" in downtown Montreal

Comment

• Baker's Dozen of Most Boneheaded Moments in North American History

2. Dred Scott Decision

12. Letting Kansas decide on its own whether to be a slave or a free state -- resulting in widespread murder

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
                      Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
                      http://www.mormon.org
                      http://www.sca.org
                      http://www.scv.org/
                      http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

• Baker's Dozen of Most Boneheaded Moments in North American History

2. Dred Scott Decision
                        12. Letting Kansas decide on its own whether to be a slave or a free state -- resulting in widespread murder

13. Red Sox send Babe Ruth to the Yankees
                        the end of one dynasty and the beginning of a super-dynasty

Comment

• oh, thats a good idea

Baker's Dozen of North American Sports Dynasties

1. Miami Hurricanes (1983-1991)
                          Championships 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991

Comment

• Baker's Dozen of North American Sports Dynasties

This is too easy.

2. New York Yankees 1936-1939
                            World Champions 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939

Managed by Joe McCarthy, led by Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Bill Dickey, Bill Terry, Tony Lazzerri, Red Ruffing, Lefty Gomez, the mighty Yankees of the late '30's were more than a match for all comers. Indeed, many commentators hold that they may have been the greatest team of all time.

Yeah: the greatest dynasty ever is the NY Yankees 1936-1939.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                              Baker's Dozen of North American Sports Dynasties

This is too easy.

World Champions 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939

Managed by Joe McCarthy, led by Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Bill Dickey, Bill Terry, Tony Lazzerri, Red Ruffing, Lefty Gomez, the mighty Yankees of the late '30's were more than a match for all comers. Indeed, many commentators hold that they may have been the greatest team of all time.

Yeah: the greatest dynasty ever is the NY Yankees 1936-1939.
                              The greatest team in baseball history to be sure. But what of:

Comment

• Baker's Dozen of North American Sports Dynasties

3. Boston Celtics (1959-1966)

8 consecutive championships

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X