Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker's Dozen (North American History Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 13 North American Highway Bridges

    1. I.10 bridge (crossing Atchafalaya basin, Louisiana)

    2. Confederation Bridge

    Connects mainland off NB to island of PEI

    Comment


    • 13 North American Highway Bridges

      1. I.10 bridge
      2. Confederation Bridge

      3. "Mighty Mac"
      (connecting the lower and upper peninsulas of MI)
      "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

      Comment


      • 13 North American Highway Bridges

        1. I.10 bridge
        2. Confederation Bridge
        3. "Mighty Mac"

        4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City







        Without a doubt the "George" is New York's most impressive-looking bridge.
        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

        Comment


        • I always used to call it the 'GW' in the 70s & 80s+, but that was before the real 'GW' arrived on the scene...

          I thought the Triboro pretty useful for getting around.
          Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
          (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

          Comment


          • Originally posted by General Staff View Post
            I always used to call it the 'GW' in the 70s & 80s+, but that was before the real 'GW' arrived on the scene...
            You know that New Yorkers reduce everything to single syllables.

            Originally posted by General Staff View Post
            I thought the Triboro pretty useful for getting around.
            It's not the Tri-Boro anymore.
            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

            Comment


            • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
              You know that New Yorkers reduce everything to single syllables.



              It's not the Tri-Boro anymore.
              Whats it called now?

              Comment


              • 13 North American Highway Bridges

                1. I.10 bridge
                2. Confederation Bridge
                3. "Mighty Mac"
                4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City

                5. Seven Mile Bridge - in the Florida Keys

                Comment


                • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                  Whats it called now?
                  They call it the Robert F Kennedy Bridge now, and renaming it cost the State of New York a cool $4 million.

                  In the left's rush to laud Bobby Kennedy as some kind of "white knight of the proletariat," no mention was made of the windfall Bobby made selling his family's Upper West Side properties to Robert Moses' public authority for the construction of Lincoln Center: taxpayers got hosed for better than six times market rates to ensure the Kennedy's support of the project, and the condemnations and evictions that it entailed. I wonder why that is.
                  I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                  Comment


                  • 13 North American Highway Bridges

                    1. I.10 bridge
                    2. Confederation Bridge
                    3. "Mighty Mac"
                    4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City
                    5. Seven Mile Bridge - in the Florida Keys

                    6. Tappan Zee Bridge - Nyack to Westchester Co, NY





                    It's like driving on the water.
                    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                      They call it the Robert F Kennedy Bridge now, and renaming it cost the State of New York a cool $4 million.

                      In the left's rush to laud Bobby Kennedy as some kind of "white knight of the proletariat," no mention was made of the windfall Bobby made selling his family's Upper West Side properties to Robert Moses' public authority for the construction of Lincoln Center: taxpayers got hosed for better than six times market rates to ensure the Kennedy's support of the project, and the condemnations and evictions that it entailed. I wonder why that is.
                      That makes sense. Of all the people associated with New York for their entire lives, its perfectly logical to name it after Bobby Kennedy. Does Hillary Clinton get a bridge in the system too one day?

                      I had forgotten the Moses-Kennedy connection on Lincoln Center. The Moses-Hearst connection for building the Manhattan terminus at 125th Street, rather than at 100th Street have been burned into my head. I've sat in that traffic before.

                      Isn't there some sort of revisionism going on up there now re Moses?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                        That makes sense. Of all the people associated with New York for their entire lives, its perfectly logical to name it after Bobby Kennedy. Does Hillary Clinton get a bridge in the system too one day?

                        I had forgotten the Moses-Kennedy connection on Lincoln Center. The Moses-Hearst connection for building the Manhattan terminus at 125th Street, rather than at 100th Street have been burned into my head. I've sat in that traffic before.

                        Isn't there some sort of revisionism going on up there now re Moses?
                        Ever since Caro's book came out, Moses' reputation has pretty much been in the toilet -- that and the fact that the hundreds of thousands of folks were evicted by his projects. Since Bllomberg's mayoralty and his resurrection of a "master plan," some softening of Moses' image has taken place, but only among Bloomberg accolytes like fmr Dep Mayor Dan Doctoroff: Moses is still despised by the rest of us. Indeed, outside of high-end builders like Doctoroff, the general mood has been to delete Moses from the landscape: first the New York Coliseum,



                        the Shea Stadium.



                        When I was a kid, I saw Robert Moses' name everywhere: state parks, parkways, bridges, schools, all over the state. That being said, there are still millions of New Yorkers who would love to tear down Moses tunnels, bridges, arterial highways, and public housing projects, but there's simply no money in the kitty to replace all of that vital, albeit unable to meet demand, so we'll be lieving with Moses' legacy for centuries to come -- the good, the bad, and everything in between.
                        I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by slick_miester View Post
                          13 North American Highway Bridges

                          1. I.10 bridge
                          2. Confederation Bridge
                          3. "Mighty Mac"
                          4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City
                          5. Seven Mile Bridge - in the Florida Keys

                          6. Tappan Zee Bridge - Nyack to Westchester Co, NY





                          It's like driving on the water.
                          7. A. Murray MacKay, Halifax, Nova Scotia (the one in the foreground, I take it to work every day )

                          Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

                          Comment


                          • 13 North American Highway Bridges

                            1. I.10 bridge
                            2. Confederation Bridge
                            3. "Mighty Mac"
                            4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City
                            5. Seven Mile Bridge - in the Florida Keys
                            6. Tappan Zee Bridge - Nyack to Westchester Co, NY
                            7. A. Murray MacKay, Halifax, Nova Scotia

                            8. Tri-Boro - Bronx-Queens-Manhattan, New York















                            "Mighty Tri-Boro": it's building was a traditional New York dirty deal, and it did fund and politically secure the rest of Robert Moses' career, but it certainly ranks among Othmar Ammann's greatest accomplishments -- among so many -- and none other than Robert A Caro called her the "greatest traffic-moving machine in history."
                            I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                            Comment


                            • 13 North American Highway Bridges

                              1. I.10 bridge
                              2. Confederation Bridge
                              3. "Mighty Mac"
                              4. George Washington Bridge - connecting Fort Lee, NJ to New York City
                              5. Seven Mile Bridge - in the Florida Keys
                              6. Tappan Zee Bridge - Nyack to Westchester Co, NY
                              7. A. Murray MacKay, Halifax, Nova Scotia
                              8. Tri-Boro - Bronx-Queens-Manhattan, New York

                              9. SF-Oakland Bay Bridge





                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                                13 North American Highway Bridges

                                9. SF-Oakland Bay Bridge
                                She's an underrated engineering marvel if ever there was one. The structure never ceases to amaze me and leave me in awe of the men who built her.
                                I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X