Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker's Dozen (North American History Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• []North America's 13 Worst Driving Roads

1. I-95 - Pretty much the whole thing, but in particular the New Jersey Turnpike and the Cross-Bronx Expressway.
    2. Colorado 550, aka Million Dollar Highway, from Ouray to Silverton
    3. I-405 San Diego Freeway - Irvine to San Fernando, California
    4. Highway 61 in Centralia, Pennsylvania
    5. I-278 Gowanus and Brooklyn-Queens Expressways
    6. Spaghetti Junction- I 85 & I 285 Interchange, Atlanta Ga
    7. Lombard Street (San Francisco)
    8. NJ-17 Bergen County, New Jersey
    9. SR 91, Riverside-Orange Counties, CA
    10. Orange Crush interchange
    11. Kew Gardens Interchange
    12. 407 ETR (Electronic Toll Route) - Greater Toronto Area

13. The Big Dig - I-90 and I-93, Boston, Massachusettes

The Big Dig was Boston's notion of relieving the city center of congestion and pollution. Boston's major arterial routes were to be rerouted in tunnels under the city center. The project seemed to take forever, causing traffic nightmares from one end of Boston to the other. When complete, a series of leaks discovered under the Charles River raised questions about the quality of the materials and techniques used in the project. In the summer of 2006 a three-ton ceiling panel fell and struck a women in her car, killing her, and closing the tunnel linking I-90 to I-93 for months. Originally estemated to cost $2.8 billion, the Boston Globe reprted that the real cost will be more like $22 billion when all the bonds are relieved. All in all, the Big Dig has been uniformly unsatisfying for the drivers and taxpayers of Boston.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• 13 Long-Gone Night Spots and Watering Holes

1. The Ship's Mast - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

The Ship's Mast was a true dive: dirty, poorly lit, lousy food, and rancid toilets. Yet the folks were earthy and mellow, the chicks were smioking hot, the live shows were pretty damned good, and the atmoshere as friendly as can be. The Ship's Mast was an anchor to an otherwise forgotten and forelorn neighborhood, was was the coolest place to hang out and drink away an evening.

Comment

2. The Metroplex, Atlanta, GA
        Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
          13 Long-Gone Night Spots and Watering Holes

3.Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse- Hermosa Beach, CA

http://www.thelighthousecafe.net/history.html

The Lighthouse "Cafe" there today is nothing like the original.
          17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• 1. The Ship's Mast - Williamsburg, Brooklyn
            3.Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse- Hermosa Beach, CA

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

Comment

3. Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse- Hermosa Beach, CA
              4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

5. The Mustard Factory - Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I saw me the first penetration of 1994, accomplished with giant papier machier replicas of human genitalia, suspended from the old factory's chain system, each ridden by a naked man or woman. It was a great way to ring in the new year.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC
                6. The Hung Jury-Long Beach Ca

was across from the Courthouse, downtown. Can't find a pic.
                area was "redeveloped." Where a friend of mine used to play a Leprechaun
                for many years on St Patty's Day!

17thAirborneSon

Comment

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

7. The Lion's Head - Greenwich Village, New York City

Long the haunt of writers as famous as Hunter Thompson and Earnest Hemmingway, and all the assorted riff-raff from New York's working press, it was a place where literary types -- and literary type wannabes -- could go and get really sh*tfaced. Sometimes they fought, sometimes they cried, but rarely did they forget what happened. Suffice to say, it is missed.

To the 'Head!

Comment

• Most of mine in NYC are still in operation- last I heard- probably because of my early and continuing philanthropy and patronage.

Jameson's- 2nd & 51st/52nd and work your way down from there. You could end up in the 'Old Stand' after staggering around a bit looking for somewhere to prop you up, and there was a good pick-up parlour across the street though I forget the name...
                    Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
                    (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• One of my all time favorites.... The Spirit of '76
                      Attached Files
                      In Vino Veritas

Comment

• Originally posted by dongar1 View Post
                        One of my all time favorites.... The Spirit of '76
                        Yes thats a good painting, but this thread is a "Baker's Dozen" format, which means that you copy the last post and make your own addittion to the current Baker's Dozen, including a photo if applicable. The person who posts the 13 item gets to pick the topic for the next dozen. So the current topic is "Long-Gone Night Spots and Watering Holes," and if you wanted to make an addition to the list, you'd copy slick_miester's post above which only goes up to 7, and add your own to it which would be number 8 on the list. Then someone else will copy yours (you can't post twice in a row) and so on...

I like your signiture by the way!
                        Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

8. Jameson's- 2nd & 51st/52nd and work your way down from there.
                          9. The Spirit of '76
                          10. Latitude 20 - Torrance, Ca--now a strip mall

Just to clean things up. Carry on folks.
                          Last edited by 17thAirborneSon; 28 Oct 09, 18:31.
                          17thAirborneSon

Comment

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

11. Leshko's, Lower East Side, NYC

The closing of Leshko's was a sad, drawn-out affair that really broke my heart. Technically, Leshko's was a restaurant, but since they served booze at the counter, I'll include it here. It was arguably the greasiest joint that I've ever been in, and that's saying something. The bathroom door had to be locked with a broken mop handle. But they served the best damned pierogi on the planet. I'd been eating there since I was born, having been there countless times with my crazy Ukrainian grandfather. In later years I introduced a fair number of my friends to the place. There was nothing better after a night of power-drnking than kielbasa and pierogi at 3 am. Starting in the late 1980's, the Lower East Side started "gentrifying": old neighborhood types were moving on or dying off, and cool hippies and artist types were filling in what spaces they could afford, when Uptown Yuppie scum discovered the "charm" of an old neighborhood, drove up the rests, and drove out the local fixtures. Leshko's tried to keep up, by scrubbing away forty years' worth of greaase and grime, and updating its menu into the kind of mod-fusion crap that Yuppies and the hipster hangers-on gush over. It was a sad attempt, absolutely soulless. That lasted a couple of years, then Leshko's just disappeared. I think that now it's a Starbucks or some other sorry garbage outlet: truly an irreplaceable loss for civilization.

Comment

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC

12. Coney Island High - Lower East Side, NYC

Coney Island High was the venue where many a rock act made its bones. As it was, it was closed by the Ramones. One by one, New York's best venues were closed, to satisfy uptight Yuppies who just couldn't stay Uptown, so they migrated like an infection Downtown, as well, destroying all in their wake.

Comment

4. CBGB, Manhattan, NYC
                                12. Coney Island High - Lower East Side, NYC

13. Blue Bird Cafe/Wagon Wheel - Montreal

Montreal’s Blue Bird Café and the Wagon Wheel, a country and western bar above it, were located on the west side of Union Street between Ste-Catherine Ouest and Dorchester (now René-Lévesque) in downtown Montreal, lying within the borough of Ville-Marie. The cafe and bar were known as places where largely working-class, English-speaking youth could come for an evening of music, dancing, and drinking.
                                On the evening of Sunday, September 1, 1972, the evening before Labour Day, more than 200 people were at the bar celebrating. Around 10:45 PM, three young men were refused entry to the upstairs bar, as they appeared excessively intoxicated. Upset by this, the men set fire on the staircase that served as the only regular entrance or exit for the Wagon Wheel's customers.
                                In all, 37 people were killed as a result of the arson.
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bird_Café_fire

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X