Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baker's Dozen (North American History Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Good Driving Roads

1. Taconic State Parkway - New York
    2. Hwy. 1, CA
    3. The Gold Rush Trail- California Route 49
    4. I-80
    5. I10 crossing Atchafalaya basin
    6. Trail Ridge Road-Estes Park Colorado area
    7. NY-17 Binghamton to Tuxedo
    8. U.S. Route 491 /666
    9. PA-32 Bucks County, Pennsylvania

10. LA-23 from Gretna to Venice

Last edited by PGT Beauregard; 10 Aug 09, 13:23.
    à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
    (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

• Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
      13 Good Driving Roads

2. Hwy. 1, CA
      4. I-80
      8. U.S. Route 491 /666
      11. US Route 11 (note also item 11!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_11

17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

• 13 Good Driving Roads

2. Hwy. 1, CA
        4. I-80
        8. U.S. Route 491 /666

12. The Lincoln Highway (first road across the U.S.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway
        "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."

Comment

• I thought it was I-80, but if not I'll take Route 61 N-S instead.

There's a lot of good driving roads in the US seems to me.
          Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
          (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Comment

• 13 Good Driving Roads

2. Hwy. 1, CA
            4. I-80
            8. U.S. Route 491 /666
            12. The Lincoln Highway (first road across the U.S.)

13. Pennsylvania Turnpike - It cuts through some real pretty country, but it's not an easy drive, since sections of it were built along the old Pennsylvania Railroad. Those sections are much narrower than most interstate highways, and the highway patrol is pretty aggressive, but the view is worth it.

I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

• North America's 13 Worst Driving Roads

North America's 13 Worst Driving Roads

1. I-95 - Pretty much the whole thing, but in particular the New Jersey Turnpike and the Cross-Bronx Expressway.

The shoulders vary from slim to none, the terrain is ugly as sin, tractor-trailers dominate like dinosaurs on an ancient plain, the surface is worse than the moon, and the going is slow, slow, slow. That stretch from the George Washington Bridge (far and away the highpoint along this road, and in my opinion New York's finest bridge) through the trench blasted through the Fordham Gniess, all the way to New Haven consistently moves at a glacial pace, regardless of the hour. And talk about danger: I used to drive a cab in New York, and I've never had so much as a fender bender while I'm behind the wheel -- but twice on the NJTP I've seen my life flash before my eyes. And that stretch from Philadelphia to Baltimore ain't no walk in the park, either. Come to think of it, I-95 in Florida sucks, as well. I-95 I think easily qualifies as North America's worst driving road.

Comment

• I'd only ever do it on Greyhound, so at least I had a little alcohol on board and some weight before/behind me.

Comment

• Originally posted by General Staff View Post
                  I'd only ever do it on Greyhound, so at least I had a little alcohol on board and some weight before/behind me.
                  Yeah, but the salami and stale coffee smell of the fat greasy bastard wedged into the seat next to you makes you actually pine for a quick and fiery death, doesn't it?

Comment

• It's been a good few years, but with a friend in one seat and you locked in the toilet at the back, it can work.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

1. I-95- Pretty much the whole thing, but in particular the New Jersey Turnpike and the Cross-Bronx Expressway.

2. Colorado 550, aka Million Dollar Highway, from Ouray to Silverton

This southern Colorado two-laner is all-around treacherous: As it climbs out of the former mining town of Ouray, the southern route S-curves through three San Juan Mountains passes (topping out at 11,018-foot Red Mountain Pass) with nary a guard rail or sliver of shoulder all the way to Silverton, 24 miles away. Fleets of road-hogging recreational vehicles routinely make this drive, giving you zero room for error, and late fall's wildlife migration and deer hunting season put thousands of deer and bighorn sheep on the move and crossing roadways unexpectedly. Ice slickens 550's pavement as early as October. During winter passage it is even dicier: The Million Dollar Highway is directly in the path of a major avalanche zone, and in 1987 the road was buried by a slab avalanche. For current Colorado road conditions, visit Colorado's Department of Transportation at http://www.dot.state.co.us/
                      17thAirborneSon

Comment

1. I-95 - Pretty much the whole thing, but in particular the New Jersey Turnpike and the Cross-Bronx Expressway.

3. I-405 San Diego Freeway - Irvine to San Fernando, California

No doubt the birthplace of "road-rage," a simple night-time drive from Dago to LA can take all friggin' night. In the time it takes to cover that modest distance one can drive almost to El Paso, TX. When the locals joke that "405 is the average speed -- as in 'four-or-five miles per hour,'" they ain't kidding. It's quite possibly one of the most frustrating highways on the continent.

Comment

• Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

4. Highway 61 in Centralia, Pennsylvania.

17thAirborneSon

Comment

4. Highway 61 in Centralia, Pennsylvania

5. I-278 Gowanus and Brooklyn-Queens Expressways

Like most other Robert Moses' highways in New York City, the confines are just too tight to be safe. Tens of thousands of passenger cars and motorcycles vie with tandem tractor-trailors morning, 'noon, and night. Exit and entrance ramps are right there, with absolutely no space in which to increase or reduce speed. The road surface is in terrible shape, more resembling the surface of the moon than a modern interstate highway, and the road work never ends. It just plain sucks.

Comment

6. Cross-Bronx Expressway

Comment

6. Cross-Bronx Expressway

7. Spaghetti Junction- I 85 & I 285 Interchange, Atlanta Ga

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X