Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Baker's Dozen (Russian History Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything you think of when somebody asks "What's good about Russia ?"

1. Russian Politeness
    2. Musicians
    3. Russian Films
    4. Women soldiers
    5. Genetic Diversity
    6. Jet Fighters

7. Russian traditional holidays

Time is inside of us and we are inside time. It turns us and we turn It.
    Vasil Levski

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...91#post2139891

Comment

1. Russian Politeness
      2. Musicians
      3. Russian Films
      4. Women soldiers
      5. Genetic Diversity
      6. Jet Fighters

8. Scientists

Sergueï Korolev
      à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
      (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

1. Russian Politeness
        2. Musicians
        3. Russian Films
        4. Women soldiers
        5. Genetic Diversity
        6. Jet Fighters
        8. Scientists

9. Russian Opera

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

1. Russian Politeness
          2. Musicians
          3. Russian Films
          4. Women soldiers
          5. Genetic Diversity
          6. Jet Fighters
          8. Scientists
          9. Russian Opera

10. Red Army choir

à vaincre sans péril, on triomphe sans gloire (triumph without peril brings no glory) P. Corneille

Le probleme avec les cons, c'est qu'il ne se fatiguent jamais
          (The problem with Pr.cks, is that they never get tired ) Michel Audiard

Comment

• [QUOTE=PGT Beauregard;2352382]Everything you think of when somebody asks "What's good about Russia ?"
            1. Russian Politeness
            2. Musicians
            3. Russian Films
            4. Women soldiers
            5. Genetic Diversity
            6. Jet Fighters
            8. Scientists
            9. Russian Opera
            10. Red Army choir

11. Mila Kunis

So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

• [QUOTE=Dan M;2352598]
              Originally posted by PGT Beauregard View Post
              Everything you think of when somebody asks "What's good about Russia ?"
              1. Russian Politeness
              2. Musicians
              3. Russian Films
              4. Women soldiers
              5. Genetic Diversity
              6. Jet Fighters
              8. Scientists
              9. Russian Opera
              10. Red Army choir

11. Mila Kunis

I wish people would spend a few seconds googling before posting in such threads. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mila_Kunis

She has nothing to do with Russia and she's not even ethnically Russian.
              www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post

I wish people would spend a few seconds googling before posting in such threads.

She has nothing to do with Russia and she's not even ethnically Russian.
                I must disagree most heartily. She is ethnically Russian and speaks the language fluently. By the way, I did google her and found the information quite readily. And don't use facts on wikipedia as an argument determination tool, it makes one look weak.

Cheers,
                Dan.
                So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan M View Post
                  I must disagree most heartily. She is ethnically Russian and speaks the language fluently. By the way, I did google her and found the information quite readily. And don't use facts on wikipedia as an argument determination tool, it makes one look weak.

Cheers,
                  Dan.
                  LOOOL. First of all, if you need to look simple things like if the Earth is round or celebrity bios, Wiki is pretty good. Nice try at snubbing me here.

Second, here's the IMDB database, if you refuse to believe Wiki:

The talented Milena "Mila" Markovna Kunis was born in Chernivtsi, Ukraine, USSR (now independent Ukraine), to a Jewish family. Her mother, Elvira, is a physics teacher, her father, Mark Kunis, is a mechanical engineer, and she has an older brother named Michael.
                  None of these names is used by ethnic Russians, unless the parents of these people were eccentric enough to call their kids this way. Her parents' names are as Jewish as it gets, and I'm not even speaking of the surname

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012...jewish-history

Actress Mila Kunis said she had to hide her Jewishness as a youngster in Ukraine and was miserable during her early years in the United States.

Britain's The Sun on Saturday published a piece quoting Kunis as saying that most of her family was killed in the Holocaust and that she had to hide that she was Jewish in Ukraine out of fear of persecution.
                  http://www.timesofisrael.com/actress...ewish-history/
                  Actress Mila Kunis opens up about Jewish history
                  Hid her Judaism in her native Ukraine out of fear of persecution

Just to make it clear, my issue here is not the actress, I don't care about her much. It's the irritating American habit of calling Russian everyone who was born within the range of 1000 miles away from the Russian borders and who happens to speak Russian.
                  www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

• This guy speaks fluent Russian, I guess he is ethnically Russian too. At least he is from Russia not Ukraine.
                    Кто там?
                    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShAA View Post
                      Her parents' names are as Jewish as it gets, and I'm not even speaking of the surname.
                      1) In the western world, we don't identify persons of Jewish heritage as Jews and not citizens. A person's religion is not identified on any identification that is issued by the government, unlike in the Former Soviet Union. So her being a Jew was, to me, immaterial. I realize now that it is of immense importance to you.

2) There were, and are, large ethnic Russian communities in all of the Former Soviet Union countries. The Ukraine, the Baltics, the 'Stans, etc, etc. They speak Russian as well as the local argot. A Russian born in Tajikastan would still identify himself as a Russian and not a Tajik.

3) In short, Mila's being Jewish and born in the Ukraine is not evidence of her not being of Russian descent.

I don't think we are going to agree on this issue, so I suggest we move on. Someone should choose the next 'What's Good About Russia."

Cheers,
                      Dan.

Comment

1. Russian Politeness
                        2. Musicians
                        3. Russian Films
                        4. Women soldiers
                        5. Genetic Diversity
                        6. Jet Fighters
                        8. Scientists
                        9. Russian Opera
                        10. Red Army choir
                        11. Mila Kunis

12. Alsou

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. Thomas Jefferson.

Comment

1) In the western world, we don't identify persons of Jewish heritage as Jews and not citizens.

Cheers,
                          Dan.
                          ethnic

adjective

relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic, and certain other traits in common
                          My Emphasis

definition from collinsdictionary.co.uk http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...english/ethnic

Comment

1) In the western world, we don't identify persons of Jewish heritage as Jews and not citizens. A person's religion is not identified on any identification that is issued by the government, unlike in the Former Soviet Union. So her being a Jew was, to me, immaterial. I realize now that it is of immense importance to you.

2) There were, and are, large ethnic Russian communities in all of the Former Soviet Union countries. The Ukraine, the Baltics, the 'Stans, etc, etc. They speak Russian as well as the local argot. A Russian born in Tajikastan would still identify himself as a Russian and not a Tajik.

3) In short, Mila's being Jewish and born in the Ukraine is not evidence of her not being of Russian descent.

I don't think we are going to agree on this issue, so I suggest we move on. Someone should choose the next 'What's Good About Russia."

Cheers,
                            Dan.
                            Dan - A Jew born in Tajikistan would identify himself as a Jew and not a Russian. That is how it works in Russia. We are discussing ethnicity not citizenship. Jews in Russia, Ukraine, etc. are Ashkenazi not Rus or even Slavic. You are trying to treat (ethnic) Jews as just another region, which it isn't.

Mila is not an ethnic Russian, nor did she ever live in Russia or has ever identified herself as Russian. She is an American, Soviet emigre of Ashenazi Jewish descent who was born in Ukraine. Where is the 'Russia' ?
                            Кто там?

Comment

1. Russian Politeness
                              2. Musicians
                              3. Russian Films
                              4. Women soldiers
                              5. Genetic Diversity
                              6. Jet Fighters
                              8. Scientists
                              9. Russian Opera
                              10. Red Army choir
                              11. Mila Kunis
                              12. Alsou

13. Ultras
                              Кто там?

Comment

• Bakers Dozen of Old Slavic Gods and Mythical Creatures

1. Yarilo

Where Yarilo walks, your field gives birth.
                                Кто там?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X