Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Recommendation - "The Hinge Factor".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Recommendation - "The Hinge Factor".

Written by Eric Durschmied, I suppose you could lump this book in a similar category to the "What If?" books edited by Robery Crowley.

This one however is slightly different - the tagline is "How chance and stupidity have changed history".

The essays and thoughts contained within the book all centre around the fact that many conflicts or battles have been determined down the centuries by chance factors such as the weather, bad intelligence heroism or blinding incompetence, right from Troy, to Agincourt, Waterloo, Moscow 1941 and the first Gulf War.

It's an interesting read, although not particularly "deep", but it makes you realise how "fragile" some of our history is - how easily it could have happened another way.

Publisher Hodder & Stoughton.
    ISBN: 0 340 72829 9.

Dr. S.
    Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Yeah I have a copy of that one, and the author has two other books as well. I think one is called "The Weather Factor".
    "To know the weapons the enemy has is already to beat them!"

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-photo-vf213-01l.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by hellodoggie
      Yeah I have a copy of that one, and the author has two other books as well. I think one is called "The Weather Factor".
      Ooh, thanks for the heads-up, I'll go and take a look on Amazon.

Dr. S.
      Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

"For want of a nail..."
        Retreat hell, we just got here. Every Marine, a rifleman.

Never let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Comment

Re: Book Recommendation - "The Hinge Factor".

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
          Written by Eric Durschmied, I suppose you could lump this book in a similar category to the "What If?" books edited by Robery Crowley.

This one however is slightly different - the tagline is "How chance and stupidity have changed history".

The essays and thoughts contained within the book all centre around the fact that many conflicts or battles have been determined down the centuries by chance factors such as the weather, bad intelligence heroism or blinding incompetence, right from Troy, to Agincourt, Waterloo, Moscow 1941 and the first Gulf War.

It's an interesting read, although not particularly "deep", but it makes you realise how "fragile" some of our history is - how easily it could have happened another way.

Publisher Hodder & Stoughton.
          ISBN: 0 340 72829 9.

Dr. S.
          The amazing part of history is how often the victor was merely less incompetant than the loser rather than anything approaching brilliance.
          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Yes, it is a very good book. I own his weather factor one as well.
            There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X