Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Example of Taking an Enemy Position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Example of Taking an Enemy Position?

What is it?

For mine, I'm going to start off with Pickett's Charge. I know, Confederates never secured the spot, but the charge was bad.ass. Pardon the french. For anyone who's been there, the line of advance was about 3/4 of a mile (1.2km) over mostly open field, with 2 rail-and-post fence you had to climb about 3/4 of the way. Then there is an uphill march, and the enemy's position is a ridge that juts up from the ground as a stone wall about 9 inches in height, and once you get over this wall, you still have to fight uphill.

The North Carolinians made it about 15-20 (15.5m) yards past the stone wall. All the while they are taking heavy artillery fire on both flanks, and once they close they take double canister as close as 10 yards.

It was incredible and rightfully deserves its place in the annals of charges. Numerous Union observers complimented the Confederates in their official reports. That's about as high a compliment you can get in war.
    "It is a fine fox chase, my boys"

"It is well that war is so terrible-we would grow too fond of it"

Originally posted by American87 View Post
    What is it?

For mine, I'm going to start off with Pickett's Charge. I know, Confederates never secured the spot, but the charge was bad.ass. Pardon the french. For anyone who's been there, the line of advance was about 3/4 of a mile (1.2km) over mostly open field, with 2 rail-and-post fence you had to climb about 3/4 of the way. Then there is an uphill march, and the enemy's position is a ridge that juts up from the ground as a stone wall about 9 inches in height, and once you get over this wall, you still have to fight uphill.

The North Carolinians made it about 15-20 (15.5m) yards past the stone wall. All the while they are taking heavy artillery fire on both flanks, and once they close they take double canister as close as 10 yards.

It was incredible and rightfully deserves its place in the annals of charges. Numerous Union observers complimented the Confederates in their official reports. That's about as high a compliment you can get in war.
    The charge was stupid. It was done as a last-ditch effort by Lee in an attempt to win a battle already lost. And it was a bloody failure. Hunt's excellent Union artillery ruined the attack and there weren't enough Confederates that made the Union position to make a difference. The North Carolina casualties were extremely heavy.

An excellent example of a successful attack, at night, during the Civil War was David Russell's and Emory Upton's attack on Rappahannock Station in late 1863. It was done with the bayonet, was the first successful night attack of the war, was well-planned and took Jubal Early and his troops by complete surprise.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post

The charge was stupid. It was done as a last-ditch effort by Lee in an attempt to win a battle already lost. And it was a bloody failure. Hunt's excellent Union artillery ruined the attack and there weren't enough Confederates that made the Union position to make a difference. The North Carolina casualties were extremely heavy.

An excellent example of a successful attack, at night, during the Civil War was David Russell's and Emory Upton's attack on Rappahannock Station in late 1863. It was done with the bayonet, was the first successful night attack of the war, was well-planned and took Jubal Early and his troops by complete surprise.
      Pickett's Charge, as it played out, may have been stupid, if that's how Lee wanted it to go. But he sent Stuart around the Union rear to do something, and the Confederate artillery was supposed to advance along with the infantry, but Longstreet, who had tactical control over the assault, and Lee, who was commanding general, failed to make sure that Pickett's men were up in time, so the Confederate batteries ran out of enough ammunition to follow the infantry.

I have to reread these chapters in Freeman and compare his sources for more details, but there was more to the assault than just sending two divisions over 3/4 of open field.

Russel's and Upton's night attack was good. I'm not sure it qualifies for best in all history, but it was notable. I would even put his assault on May 10 and the repeated assauly on May 12 at Spottsylvania as more impressive in terms of taking and securing an enemy position.

Outside of the Civil War, I'm not sure. Africanus' Battle of New Carthage (or Battle of Cartagena, Carthago Novo) was good, as was Caesar's Alesia. But Alesia was a siege, and I'm thinking more in terms of assaults.

There must have been good castle-storming in the Middle Ages, but I don't know of any.

The Siege of Harper's Ferry of course—if that counts—where Jackson captures 12,000 troops haha. A siege but still.

Grant's Fort Donelson attack was more appropriate, as was his assault on Missionary Ridge.
      Grant was pretty good on the offensive, he also had Spottsylvania.

Surely there must have been some great charges in Napoleon's day. Or was it all pitched battle? Maybe guerilla warfare in the Peninsula?

And of course, Teddy Roosevelt on San Juan Hill

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman
        Maj. Gen. James Wolfe leading the British troops scaling the heights of the Plains of Abraham and engaging the French at the Battle of Quebec,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...ins_of_Abraham

This is a classic. Have you read Montcalm and Wolfe by Francis Parkman? And what are your areas of expertise, if I may ask?

Comment

And can't forget D-Day!

Comment

Originally posted by OttoHarkaman

Support class, Battlefield 4 on the Playstaion 4
            God, I cancelled my PS4 subscription, and I might have traded in BF4 for 5, which sucks, sad to say.

3 was the best, and in 4 I had 100 service stars with the M16A4, noob tube and ACOG scope. Engage at mid-range and close in for the flag capture.

I miss 3. It was hands down the best FPS I've ever played.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X