Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best General of All Time?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Maybe your refusal to see and understand the work of an actual historian and scholar 'shows complete idiocy and ignorance'?

    What in your background qualifies you to make that assumption without reading the material and seeing the source material?

    Col Elting served in Europe in World War II and saw the Russians first hand in central Europe. What have you done?
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Massena View Post
      Maybe your refusal to see and understand the work of an actual historian and scholar 'shows complete idiocy and ignorance'?

      What in your background qualifies you to make that assumption without reading the material and seeing the source material?

      Col Elting served in Europe in World War II and saw the Russians first hand in central Europe. What have you done?
      I have read books and documents. They show that Elting is an idiot who knows nothing. Certainly not an historian and scholar.
      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Emtos View Post

        I have read books and documents. They show that Elting is an idiot who knows nothing. Certainly not an historian and scholar.
        While I agree that Napoleon is not the No 1 General of all time, this specific post of yours is very silly.

        Colonel Elting is a more than just a decent historian and scholar, and should not be dismissed. He does have an 'angle', but don't we all.
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

          While I agree that Napoleon is not the No 1 General of all time, this specific post of yours is very silly.

          Colonel Elting is a more than just a decent historian and scholar, and should not be dismissed. He does have an 'angle', but don't we all.
          I quoted his opinion about USSR in WWII. Anyone with a bit of knowledge about Eastern Front will immediately understand how stupid and ignorant it is. In the discussions about Napoleon, Massena also quoted parts of Elting's books which show an extremly biased approach. He is what we call today a "fanboy".
          There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

          Comment


          • And here is another example :

            https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...e3#post2992557

            'The Russians include annihilation among their principles of war. Considering their operations in World War II and at present in Afghanistan, it would be well to take them at face value. Annihilation always has been a feature of oriental warfare...'

            John Elting, The Superstrategists, 330.


            The passage reveals the ignorance of Elting which was demonstrated by The Ibis at the same page.
            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

              While I agree that Napoleon is not the No 1 General of all time, this specific post of yours is very silly.

              Colonel Elting is a more than just a decent historian and scholar, and should not be dismissed. He does have an 'angle', but don't we all.
              Agree and excellent posting.
              We are not now that strength which in old days
              Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
              Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
              To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                And here is another example :

                https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/f...e3#post2992557

                'The Russians include annihilation among their principles of war. Considering their operations in World War II and at present in Afghanistan, it would be well to take them at face value. Annihilation always has been a feature of oriental warfare...'

                John Elting, The Superstrategists, 330.


                The passage reveals the ignorance of Elting which was demonstrated by The Ibis at the same page.
                Haters just have to hate and historical prejudice used to forward one's 'opinion' is disingenuous and ahistorical.
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Massena View Post

                  Haters just have to hate and historical prejudice used to forward one's 'opinion' is disingenuous and ahistorical.
                  There is no "opinion". It's called idiocy and ignorance.
                  There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

                  Comment


                  • I was referring to your 'opinions.' If you care to characterize your 'ideas' as both 'idiocy and ignorance' that is your prerogative.

                    And I couldn't agree more with your characterization of your own 'opinions.'
                    We are not now that strength which in old days
                    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                    Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                    To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                    Comment


                    • I was talking about Elting and those who support him. He is an idiot, his ideas are ignorant and stupid. And same works for those who agree with him.
                      There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Emtos View Post
                        I was talking about Elting and those who support him. He is an idiot, his ideas are ignorant and stupid. And same works for those who agree with him.
                        So anybody who just happens to disagree with a particular point-of-view must,therefore, automatically, be both ignorant and stupid.

                        A sweeping statement wouldn't you say - upon reflection, of course ?
                        "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
                        Samuel Johnson.

                        Comment


                        • We are not now that strength which in old days
                          Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                          Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                          To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

                            So anybody who just happens to disagree with a particular point-of-view must,therefore, automatically, be both ignorant and stupid.

                            A sweeping statement wouldn't you say - upon reflection, of course ?
                            If somebody says that the Earth is flat, he is ignorant and stupid. If somebody agrees with him, he is also ignorant and stupid.

                            It works for many things, historical discussions included. Elting wrote stupid and ignorant things. Agreeing with him, makes people the same.
                            There are no Nazis in Ukraine. © Idiots

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Drusus Nero View Post
                              Well, officially the Greatest General of all Time is Napolean Bonaparte...

                              With the possible exception of Jesus Christ, napoleon has more books written about him and his campaigns than any other single person in history. The Library of Congress alone lists over half a million of them.

                              Napolean was more than a general. He was a social and political reformer as well. If the French Revolution was the most important political movement ever, then Napolean was it's poster child.

                              His rise from Corsican obscurity, to his military schooling at Paris and Brienne, his emergence as "Citizen Bonaparte" , then subsequent rise still further to crown himself Emperor and challenge for ever the doctrine of "Rule by Divine Right", I don't think any single soldier can claim to have had more impact and influence than Bonaparte.
                              He was egotistical maniac who killed a whole generation of young men in Europe, far from a reformer he was an opportunist who used false slogans to acquire absolute power much like bolsheviks and nazis in the 20th century

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by American87 View Post
                                Who was it?
                                Impossible to answer
                                how do you define "best " what is the criteria?

                                You mean popular ?

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X