Crimean War, Italian and German unification, Russo-Japanese war etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimean War, Italian and German unification, Russo-Japanese war etc

Sorry, I've returned after a very long absence and maybe I missed something. Is this the section where to discuss about those conflicts?

There have been calls for a new sub forum - something like 'The rise of modern era empires' and this would be the logic al place to but these wars but so far these calls has been ignored
    Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
    Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by MarkV View Post
      There have been calls for a new sub forum - something like 'The rise of modern era empires' and this would be the logic al place to but these wars but so far these calls has been ignored
      A good idea, embracing conflict during the period 1815-1914.
      "I dogmatise and am contradicted, and in this conflict of opinions and sentiments I find delight".
      Samuel Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by BELGRAVE View Post

A good idea, embracing conflict during the period 1815-1914.
        A period which despite being referred to as the long peace (a misnomer if ever there was one) included the Spanish Carlist wars, the Prusso Danish War, the Swiss Civil War, the Six Week War, The Franco Prussian War, the Austro Italian War, The Greek War of Independence, various Italian wars of independence/unification, The Italian Turkish War, various Russo Turkish Wars, the Crimean War, the Sino Japanese War, the Russo Japanese War, the Anglo Persian War, the 1st and 2nd Afghan wars, the Indian Mutiny, the Spanish American War, the 1st and 2nd Balkan wars, the 1st & 2nd Anglo Boer wars, numerous South American Wars, the US Mexican War, the Mexican Civil War etc etc not to mention various uprisings and rebellions and colonial/expansionist adventures by Britain, France, Spain, Russia, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Egypt etc. All without a home to go to on the forums.
        Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)

Comment

Well, the colonial wars are covered in The Colonial Era and Asia sub-forum. I think the Boer wars. the Taiping Rebellion, the Sino Japanese and the Russo Japanese War could be included there. Maybe the Balkan Wars could be discussed in the WWI sub-forum, as they are closely linked to the origin of the Great War. The rest seems indeed 'homeless'. Maybe there should be a section just called : "Other Conflicts", to cover everything that is not included in the present sub-forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Proconsul View Post
            Well, the colonial wars are covered in The Colonial Era and Asia sub-forum. I think the Boer wars. the Taiping Rebellion, the Sino Japanese and the Russo Japanese War could be included there. Maybe the Balkan Wars could be discussed in the WWI sub-forum, as they are closely linked to the origin of the Great War. The rest seems indeed 'homeless'. Maybe there should be a section just called : "Other Conflicts", to cover everything that is not included in the present sub-forums.
            Colonial era is normally taken to mean the pre American Independence period otherwise we are talking about a period that lasts until the 1960s and is too wide to be useful.
            Last edited by MarkV; 22 Jan 19, 10:43.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X