Return of the King - Siege Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the King - Siege Weapons

For anyone who saw the movie, what were those things called that were on the walls of Minas Tirith that were throwing rocks? Kinda like catapults only they looked like cranes and used counterbalances to throw the stone at the attacking force.

If you want to see a good castle seige, the movie is great for it!
    Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

I believe those are still catapults, just an early version, before we learned about tension. Or is it a trebuchet? What's the huge crossbow-looking siege machine? Now I'm getting myself confused... :crazy:
    Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Trebuchets were the things that were in the movie. You can see one on this page...called Warwolf!

Trebuchet.com

One of the outlaying towns near my bunker complex has a contest every fall on who can build the best trebuchet and see who can hurl a pumpkin the farthest. Don't ask! :crazy:
      Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Yea, that's right. The ScreenSavers had some guy on once who showed how to build a man-sized version of that. He had it down so well that he had Leo stand about 30 feet away and hit him square on the forehead with a ball.

Something like that would be groovy placed strategically around a paintball field, eh?
        Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

PBS had a special on trebuchet's, very interesting weapon. There was a guy who had built one large enough to throw pianos around.

Comment

Definately trebuchets. They currently have their own category in the annual pumpkin chunkin' contest held in Delaware each year.....talk about a modern application of medievel technology.
            Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

And that huge crossbow I mentioned is a ballista, now that my head has cleared. Da Vinci first came up with these designs, I believe, like he did for tons of war weaponry.
              Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

The ancient chinese use trebuchets long ago during the romance of the three kingdom age. They also used large ballitaes that can shoot mulitple arrows at once. During that time, the large xbow was also made that alllows one to shoot mulitple arrows at one time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                  Definately trebuchets. They currently have their own category in the annual pumpkin chunkin' contest held in Delaware each year.....talk about a modern application of medevel technology.
                  That annual contest is now including all types of inventions that can throw the pumpkin and not limited to only trebuchets.

Comment

Obviously, a trebuchet

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
                      And that huge crossbow I mentioned is a ballista, now that my head has cleared. Da Vinci first came up with these designs, I believe, like he did for tons of war weaponry.
                      ballistae are of roman origin and pre-date davinci by well over 1000 years. davinci, being fascinated with classical science and engineering, worked on his own designs for a ballista based on ancient roman designs he had studied in books and from sculpures and releifs.
                      Givin' you the scoop, the poop, the skinny and the scuttlebutt since 1969!

Comment

Hey Fen, did Vinci's designs resemble the Roman's? Know of a good website we can find these at, amigo?
                        Stay Alert, Stay Alive!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim H. Moreno
                          Hey Fen, did Vinci's designs resemble the Roman's? Know of a good website we can find these at, amigo?
                          They totally resembled roman designs! DaVinci got his inspiration from classical literature available in the libraries of rich or powerful patrons. What he would do is look at the roman pictures or sculptures and read whatever text he could find and he would try to figure out the engineering involved and then try to create improvements and new uses for old technology or , as was often the case, re-discover lost knowledge.

Look for the pictures of the giant "4 barreled" crossbow powered by men running in a wheel like hampsters in a cage!

Remember, as well, that by the 16th century, when Da Vinci was active, nobody was using ballistae as siege weapons...gunpowder cannons had been on battlefields for sometime....

Comment

Here's some DaVinci links:

http://www.sinera.org/tot-art/angles...ery.html#start

http://www3.northstar.k12.ak.us/scho...i/pauline.html

http://www-gap.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~his.../Leonardo.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir
                              ballistae are of roman origin and pre-date davinci by well over 1000 years. davinci, being fascinated with classical science and engineering, worked on his own designs for a ballista based on ancient roman designs he had studied in books and from sculpures and releifs.
                              The opening battle in "Gladiator" shows some examples of Roman ballistae.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X