No announcement yet.

Why do the English speak German?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you blokes only spoke German then I could understand you when you talk. I can't but I can understand German. Nice try mates but what ever it is you speak it's not German. Your stuck with what you have, Old American.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

I find German easy to understand as long as I have Google Translate handy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
        Every other nation that was invaded by the Germanic tribes kept their own language except the English?

The Franks in France, the Ostrogoths in Italy, the Visigoths in Spain and the Vandals in N Africa soon spoke the native tongue. In Britain, while some words come from the Norse or Old French tongues, the language is predominantly Old German at its core.

So why the language change? Any ideas?
        English is considered a West Germanic language and out of all the Germanic languages it is the one that is the most influenced by Latin thanks to the French speaking Normans. With that being said I don't really have an answer to your question at the moment.
        Give me a fast ship and the wind at my back for I intend to sail in harms way! (John Paul Jones)

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
        Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!

Comment

English is not German, it's a dog's breakfast:

Wakes up Fido; "Fido, come here puppy" *pours out Alpo in Fido's bowl*
          Fido procedes to jump front paws first into the bowl spilling the contents all over the floor. Fido then eats everything off the floor and wants to go outside. You are then left to clean up the mess.

English is a complete mess as a language.
          When looking for the reason why things go wrong, never rule out stupidity, Murphy's Law Nº 8
          Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. George Santayana
          "Ach du schwein" a German parrot captured at Bukoba GEA the only prisoner taken

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X