No announcement yet.

The most beligerant nation in history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most beligerant nation in history?

Which nation in history fought the most other countries?

My first thoughts are either England or France who collecitvle must have fought just about everyone and during slack periods would normally fight each other.

If we assume that every colony was oretty much the result of a war I would vote for England. But perhaps I am wrong.....

Other contenders?
    What would Occam say?

Hmmm, tough one Bill. Define nation? As I'd wager Britain has been involved in more conflicts* than anyone else since 1800. Don't know whether England before the act of Union was particularly more belligerent than anyone else.

*Because if you're only going on wars declared it might shrink a bit..

In ancient times...I couldn't lay a guess.
    ------
    'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

I'm afraid that any answer would not be very meaningful, because the number and duration of wars fought by the "winner" would mostly depend on having been in existence for longer than most other nations.
      Michele

Comment

I think we can take a generally accepted definition of "nation" as being a political entity beyond a clan or tribal structure. It would include all empires for example.

Your point on England not being particularly beligerant before the Union is probably right. Up until 1603 England mostly fought Scotland, Ireland, France and Spain. It took the early stages of the 18th C before Great Britain really got the bit between their teeth.

Here is a challenge. Name five countres that Britain has never fought?
        What would Occam say?

Comment

Canada, Australia, NZ, Brazil and the Philipines?????? Switzerland, Adorra and the Vatican.
          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

There's been scores of countries established since 1945, and though Britain has been involved in a lot of wars (I have heard, the most but would question that perhaos) since that time, it has not been with all of them,
            ------
            'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

With only a rather short history of 200+ years the US has not been a very peacful nation in that period.

Comment

Kinda blows a little hole in democratic peace theory, doesn't it?
                ------

Comment

Originally posted by Selous View Post
                  Kinda blows a little hole in democratic peace theory, doesn't it?

Between our two countrys we have had a fight going on some place in the world for just about all the last two years.

Comment

In history?

The Assyrian's had a good thousand (maybe a thousand and a half) years of belting anyone they could reach.

The Romans fought with everyone that looked at them, and when they weren't doing that they fought with themselves.

The Germanic tribes (and I include the later Vikings) have been causing all sorts of trouble for 2000 years.

The Brits and Froggies are pretty new on the block for all that stuff (although both of them have more than enough Germanic blood to have them included in the last example).
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                      Canada, Australia, NZ, Brazil and the Philipines?????? Switzerland, Adorra and the Vatican.
                      Well since the UK invaded Canada, Australia and New Zealand to make them into colonies I would say that counts as war. The closest we came to fighting Switzerland was in the war against Napoleon where British redcoats fought Swiss regiments on the French side. I would bet that Andora was caught up in the wars against Spain.

Brazil though. How the hell did that get missed out?
                      What would Occam say?

Comment

Wasn't Switzerland at war with Britain during the Napoleonic wars, once or twice?
                        ------

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                          Well if we want to dig deeper, when Portugal and Spain joined in a dynastic union for a few decades we ended up on opposite sides with England (although without direct confrontation) on the Anglo-Spanish War and Dutch–Portuguese War, and by extension our brazillian colonies aswell although still small at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by billscottmorri View Post
                            Well since the UK invaded Canada, Australia and New Zealand to make them into colonies I would say that counts as war. The closest we came to fighting Switzerland was in the war against Napoleon where British redcoats fought Swiss regiments on the French side. I would bet that Andora was caught up in the wars against Spain.

OMG your starting to sound like a woman. Which is it. Can't you make up your mind?

I think we can take a generally accepted definition of "nation" as being a political entity beyond a clan or tribal structure. It would include all empires for example.
                            So deary once you make up your mind please inform the rest of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Castro View Post
                              Well if we want to dig deeper, when Portugal and Spain joined in a dynastic union for a few decades we ended up on opposite sides with England (although without direct confrontation) on the Anglo-Spanish War and Dutch–Portuguese War, and by extension our brazillian colonies aswell although still small at the time.
                              Thanks for that excellent point.

Has the UK ever been at war with Thailand?
                              What would Occam say?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X