Best Empire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Empire?

Recently had a debate over which empire was the greatest a difficult question.
    just wondering your thoughts, sorry if your favourite is not on there
    Roman Empire
    36.59%
    Mongol Empire
    7.32%
    Russian Empire
    4.88%
    British Empire
    48.78%
    Han Dynasty
    0.00%
    Persian Empire
    2.44%
    Ottoman Empire
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true - Gaius Julius Caesar

Hmmm...I'm torn between the Brits and the Romans. I'vr been swinging back & forth between the two, but it seems now that I am settling pretty firmly on the Roman Empire. I'll try to elaborate my reasoning later.

Comment

That would depend on how you define "Greatest".
      Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

There were also French Empire, German Empire and some others.
        There are no Nazis in Ukraine. Idiots

Comment

yeah sorry could not choose more, define greatest as Best Military, size of empire duration and legacy
          Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true - Gaius Julius Caesar

Comment

From the choices given .

Either one of the two:

The Roman Empire gave us the basic foundations for the democratic and bureaucratic institutions we have today, albeit an unintentional intent in the main.

The British Empire gave/is given us a unified language.

I'm British so I'll choose Britain, but otherwise I'd probably go Rome.
            How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
            Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

British Empire was one of the largest, if not the largest, in terms of population and area, also extent of range. Size being a physical Greantess. It was also militarily most powerful of the options, another 'greatness'.
              It did much to shape the modern world too, via it's unprecedented range of influence and soft and hard power.

Without it I probably wouldn't exist either. So it's a clear choice for me. British Empire.
              ------
              'I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.' - Thomas Jefferson

If you have questions about the forum please check the FAQ/Rules

Comment

The Mongols.

Come out of nowhere with the unshakeable belief that you are destined to rule the world, conquer damn near everything worth conquering, smash army after army after army, plunder, murder, rape and destroy whatever you can reach, open the world so that the Black Death can kill those you can't reach, and then...

Decline back to mostly harmless herders in a small, unimportant backwater leaving only the memory of your brief but earth-shattering time when you were Gods.

That's a special sort of awesomeness.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

All true, but when they finally collapsed, they left nothing of value behind...not so with the Romans and the British empires.

Sincerely,
                  M
                  We are not now that strength which in old days
                  Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                  Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                  To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Portuguese Empire obviously (could I be slightly biased I wonder?), but voted Roman Empire in the poll... I find the Romans more groundbreaking and influencial, at least to me.

Comment

The Roman Empire was incredibly large and powerful, but in their area, they were really the most advanced group of people. They had few to no potential rivals until their collapse.

The British Empire, from the end of the Napoleonic Wars to the beginning of WWII, had no real competition in any aspect and held more or less global dominance for the entire Victorian era and shortly after, even though many other great empires existed.

Rome was powerful because no one else could be, Britain was powerful even when others were.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricthofen View Post
                        The Roman Empire was incredibly large and powerful, but in their area, they were really the most advanced group of people. They had few to no potential rivals until their collapse.
                        I would call Carthage a serious rival to Rome during the Republic.

Carthage had a chance to defeat Rome during the 2nd Punic War.

If that had happened no Roman Empire...
                        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                          I would call Carthage a serious rival to Rome during the Republic.

Carthage had a chance to defeat Rome during the 2nd Punic War.

If that had happened no Roman Empire...
                          Except in its height no other nation really was as advanced or had the military capacity of Rome. Carthage was indeed a trial in its time, then the Germanic Tribes in Europe caused problems, and the East isn't really in Rome's main sphere, but the first two really had no ability to attack and fully defeat Rome, they weren't advanced or on the same level.

Britain's Empire came during the time of France, Prussia/Germany, Russia, and Austria all rising to great power, and the US rivalling it in industry by 1900. Yet, through it all, the British remained the world's dominant power until WWII's beginning.

Comment

If you're considering the Roman Empire, you should include the Eastern Roman Empire that carried on in the Roman tradition until 1453.

Sincerely,
                            M
                            We are not now that strength which in old days
                            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
                            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
                            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Massena View Post
                              If you're considering the Roman Empire, you should include the Eastern Roman Empire that carried on in the Roman tradition until 1453.

Sincerely,
                              M
                              I'm not familiar with Byzantium history. Were they actually considered a major global force? I had always thought they suffered from the same corruption and problems of the West, albeit these came much, much slower than the problems in the West.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X