CIA accused of poisoning French village with LSD in 1951

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA accused of poisoning French village with LSD in 1951

Hardly surprising considering that back then the CIA was trying to use LSD for everything, Though I doubt we'll ever know if they actually caused it or not.
    http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/worl...0311-q1mb.html
    CIA accused of poisoning French village with LSD in mind-control tests
    March 12, 2010

PARIS: In 1951 a quiet village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations. At least five people died, dozens were committed to asylums and hundreds afflicted.

For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now an even more extraordinary explanation has emerged, with evidence suggesting the CIA peppered food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind-control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

The mystery of Le Pain Maudit (''The Cursed Bread'') still haunts Pont-Saint-Esprit, in the Gard, south-east France. On August 16, 1951, the inhabitants suddenly suffered frightful hallucinations of terrifying beasts and fire.

One man tried to drown himself, screaming his belly was being eaten by snakes. An 11-year-old tried to strangle his grandmother. Another man shouted, ''I am a plane'', before jumping out of a second-floor window, breaking his legs. He then got up and carried on for 45 metres. Another saw his heart escaping through his feet and begged a doctor to put it back. Many were taken to the asylum in straitjackets.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AT LINK

A couple of questions...

1. How could you tell if they were behaving abnormally

2. Hard to believe the CIA would bother to go to France.

3. I'm not sure the CIA would've been aware of LSD in 1951. Albert Hoffmann (the discoverer) found its effects during a self-experiment, known as Bicycle Day; in 1943. It was a pretty minor discovery for quite a while.

4. A natural source is quite possible. The reason Hoffmann was looking at this type of compound was its known property of causing craziness in folks who eat it. Also known as St. Elmo's Fire; it is a fungus (ergot) that grows on harvested rye. LSD falls into the general class of drugs called ergot alkaloids.

So I'd say number 4. would be the most likely explanation
    Last edited by Sino Invasion; 13 Mar 10, 00:10.
    Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

Maybe it was ergot-infected rye flour.

(Sino Invasion already mentioned this I guess)
      Last edited by Skoblin; 12 Mar 10, 23:52.

Comment

What would be the objective of a whole village, in France?
        Leadership is the ability to rise above conventional wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Sino Invasion View Post
          1. How could you tell if they were behaving abnormally

2. Hard to believe the CIA would bother to go to France.

Not really. DeGaul wanted no part of us and wanted us out after we liberated them, especially the dollar.

Richard Marchinko also mentions in his books that France has always been branded as a country that would collarborate with Russia like it did with Germany and the Vicy Gov't, so there were plans, according to DEMO DICK to disrupt certain facilities in France like nuclear power plants and what not.

Tactical nukes were allegely placed all over France according to him. We couldn't let Russian take over their nuke facilities but that is in books which are novels supposidly based on real missions. Check out his ROGUE WARRIOR series. Very entertaining and supposidly real.

That said, there is also Jacob's Ladder, a movie where the US invented a drug at APG, MD that was supposed to be used on our own troops to make them more aggressive as morale was hurting.

According to the book and movie they sprayed the agent on their own troops in Vietnam and they became so agressive that the entire platoon killed each other. Several guys survived and the govt tracks them down all over the country to kill them but one survives to tell the story.

One thing the govt learned was, had they sprayed it all over North Vietnam the entire country would have killed each other off but we never used it.

Agent Orange was a real agent that was used to destroy vegetation in the jungles of Vietnam along the rivers so the enemy couldn't hide and ambush the swift boats patrolling along. The agent was effective in destroying millions of acreas in Vietnam. It would be like looking out you back window and not seeing a yard.

Admiral Zumult Taylor sprayed it on his own son and his troops and years later his son died of cancer. I personally know someone whose mother was sparyed with it and was born with a hearing impairment - another side effect of agent orange from good ole APG where I used to work. They have bldgs with huge fensces and barb wire and every govt in the world is trying to get in to see what's going on. One of my jobs was to prevent it.

Jacob's Ladder is also the basis for a book by two authors who insist that aids was developed at APG as well and was testing in West Africa and got out of hand. Everyone laughs at that except the scientific community because the authors are two of the world's most respected scientists. And as you know, West Africa has the greatest number of aids cases in the world, or one of the most.

See the movie or read Jacob's ladder.

So getting back to the LSD point - I wouldn't put it past our govt to try anything anywhere including France because their cowardice has always been a liability to the West.

Just some food for thought.
          Last edited by BLIND SIDE; 13 Apr 10, 01:26.

Comment

I didn't know that people still took LSD.

France's FIRST Nuke plant was not started until 57.

DeGaulle was not the leader of France until 59.

IMO your whole "food for thought" is little more than a brain fart trying to get out.

We have a thread for "French Bashing". Do a search for it and read it. You'll see that your opinion is in the minority here. Using novels for references is also in the minority here.

HPJ
            Last edited by Half Pint John; 13 Apr 10, 01:40.
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
              I didn't know that people still took LSD.

France's FIRST Nuke plant was not started until 57.

DeGaulle was not the leader of France until 59.

IMO your whole "food for thought" is little more than a brain fart trying to get out.

We have a thread for "French Bashing". Do a search for it and read it. You'll see that your opinion is in the minority here. Using novels for references is also in the minority here.

HPJ

Listen squirt, I see you're a Frenchie. I didn't say when DeGaul was the president or when Marcinko's books were written, but DeGaul's disdain goes back to FDR during the War and the Vichy Gov't and relations went south after the war. I know. I was there and saw it and felt it. See link.

My point was the France was always a liability to the west because of it's cowardice and collaberation with the Germans in WW2 and our govt had
              plans to ensure the Frenchies didn't collaberate with the Soviets, so it is possible something might have happened in 1951.

http://www.slate.com/id/2077874/

The French are "cheese-eating surrender monkeys," a memorable line from the Simpsons.
              Last edited by BLIND SIDE; 13 Apr 10, 15:49.

Comment

Rye Ergot poisoning has been an occasional but well researched occurance in Europe. I'd want to see a lot more evidence before assigning that one to the CIA.

Other than that, some folks take the equivalent of setting themselves in a clown seat over a water tank. Hard to resist hurling balls to dunk them.

Comment

Originally posted by BLIND SIDE View Post
                  Not really....
                  Richard Marcinko Rogue Warrior is your source, as well as a movie? HP gopt it right, Escaped Brain Fart; Epic Fail.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X