Interactive hypothetical history studies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive hypothetical history studies

The free interactive hypothetical history studies I have developed, which can be downloaded from www.thelessonsofhistory.co.uk, might be of some passing interest.

The Lessons of History studies are interactive virtual tabletop displays of military campaigns, civil wars and revolutions and may be used in several ways:

a) As a means of testing hypothetical outcomes;

b) As graphic study notes used to explain and describe a complex chain of events and the forces and influences at work in determining the outcome.

When reading an account of a complex and fast-changing historical event such as the Russian Revolution or the Thirty Years War it is difficult, even with the aid of maps, to keep in one’s mind a clear and coherent grasp of the events as they unfolded. The Lessons of History studies provide a clear graphic display of the passage of events and the means to test what might have happened if things had not gone to plan or if different decisions had been taken.

The focus of interest in The Lessons of History studies are diplomacy, personalities, politics, economics, intelligence gathering, the weather and chance events. The deployment and manoeuvring of military forces is represented abstractly through the visible control by either side of objectives. Terrain also is represented abstractly through events subject to chance.

A slightly different version, the Lessons of History Virtual Tabletop studies, has been designed to be easily edited and can be played as a game.

I hope this is of some interest and would very much welcome feedback.

Steven Vincent

Looks interesting - ICT security here at work objects to me opening downloaded .exe files though, which is probably smart, I'll have to check it out some other time.

thanks for posting
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
    Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Fascinating.
      I can see you've put a bit of effort into this.
      Will look over later when I have more time.
      Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
      TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

wow! Interesting idea
        We hunt the hunters

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X