Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pepsi becomes the 6th largest military power.. briefly...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepsi becomes the 6th largest military power.. briefly...

Almost everyone in the world has a favorite soda that they enjoy whenever they get the opportunity. But, is your favorite tasty drink worth giving up a military arsenal big enough to stock a whole country? Well, at one point in history, the Russians thought so...

Years later, the people of the Soviet Union wanted to strike a deal that would bring Pepsi products to their country permanently. However, there was an issue of how they would pay for their newest beve
    rage, as their money wasn't accepted throughout the world.

So, the clever country decided to buy Pepsi using a universal currency: vodka!
    In the late 1980s, Russia's initial agreement to serve Pepsi in their country was about to expire,but this time, their vodka wasn't going to be enough to cover the cost.

So, the Russians did what any country would do in desperate times: They traded Pepsi a fleet of subs and boats for a whole lot of soda. The new agreement included 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate, and a destroyer...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp

They traded Pepsi a fleet of subs and boats for a whole lot of soda. The new agreement included 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate, and a destroyer...
    None of which worked...
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Check your link.
      Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post
        Check your link.
        Not until I get diner and a movie...

Soviet Union was infamous for it's crappy maintenance. Even today, they let nuclear warships rot in the water, reactors and all, rather than take care of business. I couldn't go near anything built and maintained by the Soviet or Russia military.

Big joke during the Cold War, when unit mottoes were mandatory in public - if I saluted first I had to say "Black Lions" since my regiment was officially the Black Lions of Cantigny, (2/28 Inf)dating back to WWI. The responder might be 2/49 Armor, "Speed and Power, SIR!" If they said it first, our answer was "Rust and Dust"- because as far as we were concerned, it was quicker and fewer casualties to just wait the Russians out.

And if you were ever near an 'Aeroflop' aircraft, you would have recognized my joke for what it was, a frighteningly real commentary on the state of Russian engineering and maintenance.

It's all on those DVD's I sent you.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 28 Jul 18, 12:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Not until I get diner and a movie...

Soviet Union was infamous for it's crappy maintenance. Even today, they let nuclear warships rot in the water, reactors and all, rather than take care of business. I couldn't go near anything built and maintained by the Soviet or Russia military.

Big joke during the Cold War, when unit mottoes were mandatory in public - if I saluted first I had to say "Black Lions" since my regiment was officially the Black Lions of Cantigny, (2/28 Inf)dating back to WWI. The responder might be 2/49 Armor, "Speed and Power, SIR!" If they said it first, our answer was "Rust and Dust"- because as far as we were concerned, it was quicker and fewer casualties to just wait the Russians out.

And if you were ever near an 'Aeroflop' aircraft, you would have recognized my joke for what it was, a frighteningly real commentary on the state of Russian engineering and maintenance.

It's all on those DVD's I sent you.
          Scrap metal has considerable value in bulk. Lots of old, used up things can still be translated into cash. For example, if your wife has life insurance on you...
          Any man can hold his place when the bands play and women throw flowers; it is when the enemy presses close and metal shears through the ranks that one can acertain which are soldiers, and which are not.

Comment

Back in my youth I used to stalk the dump looking for parts for washers and dryers. It was free money. Tedious, but hey free money.
            Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
              Back in my youth I used to stalk the dump looking for parts for washers and dryers. It was free money. Tedious, but hey free money.
              And nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold J Rimmer View Post

Scrap metal has considerable value in bulk. Lots of old, used up things can still be translated into cash. For example, if your wife has life insurance on you...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X