Black World - Black Projects - Black Books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black World - Black Projects - Black Books

For discussion of past and/or present "Secret" projects, R&D, etc. Nominally these tend to be unmentioned in open sources, limited in knowledge to those outside the "project" and financing is "buried" in other projects or items in the part of budgets that are known and available to the public, so called "Black Books (accounting records)".

One typical and classic example is the Stealth Fighter (more a fighter-bomber) known as the F-117; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_F-117_Nighthawk ; which had basic research and development (R&D) done in secret with little public knowledge, though after time there were some "rumors" starting to float about. Eventually this aircraft was revealed and made "public" with the acknowledgement that it was now operational and assigned to unit(s).

Later, as my time allows, I'll post here some more current and/or interesting examples. Of course others are invited to do likewise, and not necessarily material involving the USA only. Some recent reading/researching has suggested this thread, which I was planning to start just before the recent off-line and upgrade to the forum. More later ...
    Whiskey for my men, and beer for my horses.
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Shiva Star

Shiva Star, originally just SHIVA, is a high-powered pulsed-power research device located at the Air Force Research Laboratory on the Kirtland Air Force Base in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The device was originally built in the 1970s for high-power X-ray research, was later re-directed to studies for the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI), and is now being used for magnetized target fusion research. Shiva Star was named after the Hindu god Shiva, partly because its prototype originally had four "arms"; it now has six "arms".
    ... Plasma weapon

Main article: MARAUDER

Shiva Star was also used to develop an experimental weapon known as MARAUDER for the SDI effort between 1989 and 1995. The idea appears to have been to create compact toroids of high-density plasma that would be ejected from the device using a massive magnetic pulse.[2] The plasma projectiles would be shot at a speed expected to be 3000 km/s in 1995 and 10,000 km/s (3.3% of the speed of light) by 2000. A shot has the energy of 5 pounds of TNT exploding. Doughnut-shaped rings of plasma and balls of lightning exploded with devastating thermal and mechanical effects when hitting their target and produced pulse of electromagnetic radiation that could scramble electronics, the energy would shower the interior of the target with high-energy x-rays that would potentially destroy the electronics inside. The tests cost a few million dollars a year.[3] The project become classified, and no information about the fate of the project has been published after 1995.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Star MARAUDER

MARAUDER (Magnetically accelerated ring to achieve ultrahigh directed energy and radiation) is, or was, a United States Air Force Research Laboratory project concerning the development of a coaxial plasma railgun. It is one of several United States Government efforts to develop plasma-based projectiles.[1] The first computer simulations occurred in 1990, and its first published experiment appeared on August 1, 1993.[2][3]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MARAUDER
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Some reading~research of late has me coming across Advancing Tech projects that go "off radar" ....
    Bock's First Law of History: The Past shapes the Present, which forms the Future. *

Comment

Hunt for the Blackstar: On the Trail of the Military’s Secret “Mothership”

Micah Hanks January 15, 2019
      On the evening of September 13, 1990, something unusual appeared in the skies above Mojave, California. Most observers described it as a large, delta-shaped aircraft, which produced a low, rumbling sound as it moved across the nighttime sky.

The mystery aircraft appeared to be accompanied by an F-16 and one other plane, apparently “chase” planes assisting or gathering observational data in relation to the larger aircraft. This would not be the only appearance made by this “mystery aircraft”; a similar display appeared in the skies over Mojave again on October 3 that same year, then again in April of the following year. During the Spring 1991 incident, an observer was able to identify an F-16 accompanying it in the “chase” position, as was seen during its initial appearance earlier in September. The larger aircraft, which appeared to be white or some lighter color, was said to “dwarf” the chasing F-16.

Sometime later, the monolithic “mystery plane” began to make appearances over the Southeast. One such sighting was reported in the early 1990s by CNN writer Glenn Emery, who observed the aircraft near Atlanta, Georgia, at an estimated 10,000 to 15,000 ft altitude (Emery said this was difficult to judge, since the size of the aircraft was unknown, but that the plane he witnessed was “clearly higher and faster” than conventional traffic elsewhere in the sky, which were on their descent into Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport).

Reports would continue, though seldom in occurrence, with some comparing the mystery aircraft to the XB-70, a late 1950s supersonic prototype aircraft designed by North American Aviation, for use in bombing missions by the USAF Strategic Air Command.

The Federation of American Scientists, commenting on sightings of this “mystery plane,” noted that the aircraft’s wingspan would have been roughly equivalent to that of a B-2 bomber, but with a shape that was different enough to be discerned even at night:
      Some observers also claim that another larger and more agile aircraft has been cruising the California desert. This aircraft reportedly has a wingspan close to 150 feet. While this dimension is roughly equivalent to that of the B-2 bomber, observers insist that they can distinguish it from the B-2 at night. Unlike the B-2 and the aircraft flying in F- 117A formation, this vehicle appeared highly maneuverable. One is said to have turned 90 degrees on its wingtip.

The B-2 photographed in 1989 during an early public flight.

With time, this large aircraft had picked up a nickname in aviation and defense reporting circles: many had begun calling it the “mothership.”

Based on sightings of the aircraft, mostly reported in Aviation Week and Space Technology, the so-called “mothership” was believed to have been part of a two-vehicle system, with the large craft being observed during the early 1990s being a carrier plane for an orbital component—that is, a smaller spaceplane fitted under the primary craft—which was flown to sub-orbital altitude before being released. The system became known in “secret” circles as the SR3 Blackstar, with its accompanying orbital spaceplane dubbed XOV or “Speedy.”

Speculation about the Blackstar system continued for a number of years in aviation circles. Then in the early 200s, news began to circulate that the Blackstar program might have been shelved, prompting Aviation Week editor William B. Scott to write a lengthy three-part series detailing all that was known about the suspected project at that time.

“Exactly what missions the Blackstar system may have been designed for and built to accomplish are as yet unconfirmed,” Scott wrote in 2006, “but U.S. Air Force Space Command (AFSPC) officers and contractors have been toying with similar spaceplane-operational concepts for years. Besides reconnaissance, they call for inserting small satellites into orbit, and either retrieving or servicing other spacecraft. Conceivably, such a vehicle could serve as an anti-satellite or space-to-ground weapons-delivery platform, as well.”
      “Those who scoff at the report,” Douglass went on to argue, “saying it is too dangerous and difficult to launch a simple space-plane system into space, forget the private-sector has already accomplished just that and without the billion-dollar backing of any government,” citing the aforementioned XB-70, along with the USAF’s Dyna Soar spaceplane project, as examples.

The buzz that the “Blackstar” program created back in the early 2000s led to further interest among many commentators who had been searching for evidence of other hush-hush aerospace projects, among them the mythical “Project Aurora,” a hypothetical reconnaissance plane and successor to the SR-71 Blackbird.

Artist’s conception of Project Aurora based on eyewitness reports from the early 1990s (Wikimedia Commons).

Lawrence Harris, an aerospace and security analyst with the Chicago-based Kemper Securities Group was quoted on July 17, 1992 in Aerospace Daily saying that “Circumstantial evidence suggests that this project has been underway since 1987 and that a first flight occurred in 1989… Aurora could be operational in 1995, six years after the probable first flight.”

However, in the world of black projects and secretive aircraft, seeing is believing, even if the projects in question involve stealth technologies that aren’t meant to be seen. I recall having a discussion about projects like these a number of years ago with a colleague of James Oberg at a conference we both attended, where I proposed that a number of sightings of unexplained aircraft from over the last few decades could be evidence for programs the likes of Blackstar. My friend seemed to think this was unlikely, however, saying that such programs “would have been declassified by now.”
      “Many Internet pundits,” Douglass wrote, “have said, ‘Okay –where’s Aurora. Where’s the F-19? Where’s the TR-3A?’ ”

Douglass thinks it’s unlikely that all such secret aircraft would become public knowledge after only a few decades, as many critics claim:

“It is quite likely that the [Secret Aerospace Projects] that [William Scott] and I wrote about are still classified above Top Secret and may not be acknowledged for another fifty years or so – not just because the technology is sensitive but the various purposes and missions these classified aircraft flew are sensitive as well as are still-classified missions flown by the f-117, SR-71 and U-2.”

The fact that these hypothetical aircraft have captured the interest of aerospace professionals over the years is not proof in itself that they existed (or might still exist). It does, however, suggest that such ideas are not pure speculation, nor are they crazy. Even if the majority of cases like these were proven unreliable, it would seem that there would have to be at least a few secret aerospace projects that do exist, and which are seen by people–both in the civilian and military sectors–from time to time. The eyewitness reports must account for something, after all… whether any official details will be forthcoming any time soon is another story.
      https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/...et-mothership/

Comment

Good post, GD!
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Good post, GD!
          Thanks, but I can only take credit for finding something good to copy-paste.

Comment

Is This Concept Art Of A Mysterious Space Launch Mothership A Missing Link In Area 51's Past?

There's a long and colorful trail of circumstantial evidence, rumor, historical context, and patent info that points to such an aircraft existing.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...-area-51s-past

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X