No announcement yet.

Connecticut becomes first state to give Hmong, Laotian veterans burial rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecticut becomes first state to give Hmong, Laotian veterans burial rights

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (Tribune News Service) — As 77-year-old Gen. Sar Phouthasack stepped up to the podium in Veterans Memorial Park Thursday afternoon, his excitement was palpable.

“I’m so happy, I woke up at four this morning,” Phouthasack told the group gathered around the restored Army Huey helicopter memorial dedicated to Hmong and Laos soldiers.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/conn...ights-1.587964
    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

The title is a tad confusing. The Hmong are being granted burial plots in CT state veterans cemeteries at public expense. From where I sit, it's the least we can do for valued allies who suffered after the US withdrawal from SE Asia. NYS should definitely follow CT's lead, and similar benefits should be extended to 'Yards and Nungs, as well. They earned it.
    I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Glad to hear this.
      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

as with most things considered the "right thing to do"...…………...it takes too long. At least it happened.

Comment

Good to see some recognition for our former allies, although it raises the question of why they were no being honored by their own nations.

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I don't see the Pathet Lao honoring the Royal Lao Army or the Hmong for fighting against them.

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Good to see some recognition for our former allies, although it raises the question of why they were no being honored by their own nations.
              They don't have nations any more. For example, the Republic of Viet Nam ceased to exist Apr 1975. By the same rationale the USSR did not recognize the exploits of Imperial Russian personnel, and those who fought against the Bolsheviks and then fled often went on to become stateless persons, enjoying no legal standing anywhere. In the case of H'mong and other ethnic minorities in Southeast Asia, they've been the subject of genocidal campaigns since the 1970s.

Can't find it now, but I recall reading an article about how the last remnants of the RVN Navy headed towards the PI in Apr '75. Since the vessels were still RVN flagged, then president Ferdinand Marcos didn't want to deal with any possible fallout, as those vessels were, after the fall of Saigon, technically the property of the DRVN -- and their crews and passengers, along with the ships, would have to be repatriated under international law. In order to avoid such an outcome, the RVN officers surrendered their vessels to the PI, and requested asylum. They saluted their colors one last time, and then hauled them down. The article summed the whole episode up as the final dissolution of the Republic of Viet Nam.
              I was married for two ******* years! Hell would be like Club Med! - Sam Kinison

Comment

Originally posted by slick_miester View Post

They don't have nations any more. For example, the Republic of Viet Nam ceased to exist Apr 1975. By the same rationale the USSR did not recognize the exploits of Imperial Russian personnel, and those who fought against the Bolsheviks and then fled often went on to become stateless persons, enjoying no legal standing anywhere. In the case of H'mong and other ethnic minorities in Southeast Asia, they've been the subject of genocidal campaigns since the 1970s.

Can't find it now, but I recall reading an article about how the last remnants of the RVN Navy headed towards the PI in Apr '75. Since the vessels were still RVN flagged, then president Ferdinand Marcos didn't want to deal with any possible fallout, as those vessels were, after the fall of Saigon, technically the property of the DRVN -- and their crews and passengers, along with the ships, would have to be repatriated under international law. In order to avoid such an outcome, the RVN officers surrendered their vessels to the PI, and requested asylum. They saluted their colors one last time, and then hauled them down. The article summed the whole episode up as the final dissolution of the Republic of Viet Nam.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X