Video: The Quiet Mutiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: The Quiet Mutiny

Just found this fascinating three-part documentary (if you go past the anti war bias that is) filmed by an australian journalist in 1970 and showing the life of the grunts in the last years of the conflict. The quality of the footage is rather exceptional and hardly show its age:

Last edited by Boonierat; 11 Jan 08, 09:35.

This is not the video I thought it was going to be. There is a black and white one where some soldiers pull a "Sand Pebbles" moment and declare themselves stateless during some late war battle.

Even so, this is a very interesting video. I wonder if this is how they teach them to do it in Journalism school?

"Viet Cong Chicken, and only the grunts can kill the Viet Cong Chicken". Brilliant use of metaphors and allegory! I am surprised he didn't win a Pulitzer for this.
    Last edited by Miss Saigon; 12 Jan 08, 03:42.

Comment

Pretty dismal
      By 1970 VN was a hard place to be.
      We were winding it up, nobody saw any reason to continue and the young troops were just a reflection of what was happening in society.

"Who wants to be the last guy to die in VN?" was a big slogan.

Problem was a lot of good guys died because of the atitude if some of those slackers.

It was a mess, it was run like a mess. They allowed it to drag on so long without result it collapsed from within.

I never served with any guys like those in the clip, but most of my preferred friends are vets and I am active with the VA and vet's issues and have learned a lot about them.

There were so many "bad paper" discharges in Vietnam, especially in the later yearsm disciplinary, crimes, etc that a means was later set up to review and upgrade many of them.

Fragging is murder-period.

Not sure about the donut dollie deaths. There was a total of 8 US females
      died there.

Those guys did not represent everybody serving, but there were an awful lot of them by then.

Comment

Well, now you know why I have such a distrust of the stinking media. They knowingly distort data and slant it to make their view the 'proper' perspective rather than doing actual journalistic investigation and telling it like it is. Point of note was the 'fragging' of officers. There were a lot of "I heard..." but nothing which you could hang your hat on.

Now that time has passed and hard data is easily verifiable it can be stated that most of the Americans military in Vietnam had volunteered to go there. This dufus tried to make it look like only the draftees were the only ones doing any work or putting their lives at risk.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Very true TB. Agree with you 100% here. Notice how he sought out a quote like "I don't know why I am here and why I have to kill women and children"??? If a soldier didn't understand why he was there and what prompted him to return fire then his IQ is less then that of a preschooler. The quality of the picture was great but the quality of the statement was 'numba 10', it sucked.

D1
          "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
          - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaOne View Post
            Very true TB. Agree with you 100% here. Notice how he sought out a quote like "I don't know why I am here and why I have to kill women and children"??? If a soldier didn't understand why he was there and what prompted him to return fire then his IQ is less then that of a preschooler. The quality of the picture was great but the quality of the statement was 'numba 10', it sucked.

D1
            "GI number 1, newsguy number 10".
            "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

for what its worth

I was in nam AFTER that **** head.March of 71 to march of 72.I did not see or hear any of that ****.Although it was my private part of the war. not like everyone saw every part of it.I was with an army asslt helo company.Can Tho army airfield.We had a 1/16 cavalry unti, two asslt helo companies a wing of otters,and a chinook company.Most of the slackers were stuck in the motor pool. The rest of us did our duty and did it well.No where at any time did i see or hear any of this hide and not git shot crap.
              That cav unit had a flight of LOH's.they flew to draw enemy fire so the cobras could go after it.It was an all volunteer outfit. if you wanted in, everybody had to agree......... and there were never any vacancies.In one week we lost three ships and 11KIA............ no quitters........
              after 35 years . i am still sick of that bogus soldier crap.

Comment

I was there in 1972 as well. They sent me on 'go' missions all over the place. There were good companies and some lax with horse biscuit soldiers like those interviewed on this dialogue. The newsboy said they were 'typical' but I'm betting he knew where to look to find the outfit he wanted to. Most were not like this.

When I went out with guys if they were like this I wanted to take point since I'd much rather trust to my own abilities than some goof ball.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X