Video: Da Nang 1965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Da Nang 1965

Found this really great coverage (despite the silly commentaries of the journalist comparing Dien Bien Phu and Da Nang ) showing the life in the early days of the Marine enclave. There is no dates unfortunately but several elements indicate that it was made around April 10, 1965 (Length: 17 mins)

That was awesome Boonie. The scene involving the medivac was very good and created some immediate flashbacks for me. Those damn punji pits were horrid. Crap covered punji sticks that were razor sharp. Big time ouch. The last two minutes were also great showing the marine air power and strike on target.
    Thanks again, man.

D1
    "War is hell, but actual combat is a motherf#cker"
    - Col. David Hackworth

Comment

The phantoms are from VMFA-531, the first Marine jet squadron sent to Vietnam. The patrol must have been one of the very first the Marines did outside Da Nang as the weren't authorized to move beyond the perimeter of the airbase until April 6.

Comment

Did you see where the guy with the garden fork was just standing with it, looking around? Looked like the Highway department workers working on the street in front of my house. VC for sure

Comment

Once again another good find Boonierat.
          Love it, especially the briefing section in the last 5 minutes.
          I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
          "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Karri
            Prawn heads
            by Karri
            How do you cook them? How do you eat them?

So far I've always just twisted them off, and discarded it along with the shells and such, only...
            Today, 11:40
          • Jose50
            Thoughts on the US abandoning NATO
            by Jose50
            Now may be a good time for the NATO countries to start beefing up their materiel, personnel and alliances. There is a decided wave here in the US that...
            Today, 08:41
          • Von Richter
            Sagittarius Rising...
            by Von Richter
            Just having a re-read of this book after it's stood for donkey's years on the bookshelf. Once again, within the first couple of pages, I'm transported...
            Today, 01:19
          Working...
          X