Video: USAF Forward Air Control - Operation SHENANDOAH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: USAF Forward Air Control - Operation SHENANDOAH

Ken (aka Sidewinder CC) is gonna love this one, hell he might even be in it!

Man those F-100s are flying low and haulin'! That pass @ 2:15:
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

No, I wasn't in that vid. The opening of the vid said 1967 but the view of O-1 57-6273 being launched at Lai Khe was taken in 1966, just before I got there (15 Nov 66). The guy pulling the chocks was Crew Chief A1C Hank Bueb. Couldn't get a fix on the pilot.

In 1967, 57-6273 was damaged badly in a mortar attack and was taken to Bien Hoa for repairs. It was eventually returned to Lai Khe. I'll post some pics of it after the mortar attack.

These vids seem to always have a mix of file footage. Interesting, and brings back memories any way.

Thanks Boonie.

Ken

PS: Lai Khe is pronounced Lai Kay not Lai Key.
      "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

Just checked by 1st ID book; According to the book Operation Shenandoah involved the 1st Bde, not the 3rd, like the video said. 17 Oct to 1 Nov 66.

Took place Southeast of Minh Thanh.
        "Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Comment

I was with it, until the narrator said he could have air on target in fifteen minutes.

As a retired marine I luv CAS. As a retired artilleryman fifteen minutes is more than ten minutes beyond any acceptable response time for the gun bunnies.

Technical question: Was the Nine Line Brief used in those days?

Comment

Here's some pics of that Birddog, 57-6273 in the opening of the video after it had sustained damage in a mortar attack, '67.

Impact hole in steel plating.

Damage to the tail section of the airplane.

View of the damage to the front of the airplane.

273 being airlifted to Bien Hoa for repairs.

Tail section in the hangar at Bien Hoa. Mechanic in the pic is Coyne Alred, now deceased.

The iron cross on the tail was the crest of the 3d Bde/1st ID, The Iron Brigade. which we (Forward Air Control) supported in III CTZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Schwamberg View Post
              I was with it, until the narrator said he could have air on target in fifteen minutes.

As a retired marine I luv CAS. As a retired artilleryman fifteen minutes is more than ten minutes beyond any acceptable response time for the gun bunnies.

Technical question: Was the Nine Line Brief used in those days?
              I think 15 minutes was about normal to get air on target...depending how far the target was from the fighter's home base.

Carl, as a retired Gun Bunny thought you might be interested: Here's a pic of a 105 battery at Lai Khe. They're just off the end of the runway and our ramp (you can see one of our Biddogs in the distance). Lai Khe had 155's at the south end of the base camp as well.

Comment

Ken As always thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X