Viet Minh Armor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viet Minh Armor?

Did the Viet Minh have any tanks or aircraft at their disposal, either purchased from another country (probably Communist China or Soviet Russia) or captured from France? While we are at it, what types of tanks did the French use other than the M24 Chaffee?
    "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

Originally posted by BCap View Post
    Did the Viet Minh have any tanks or aircraft at their disposal, either purchased from another country (probably Communist China or Soviet Russia) or captured from France? While we are at it, what types of tanks did the French use other than the M24 Chaffee?
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have never heard of major end items like tanks being sent to the VM from other countries. Those sort of things are not normally sold or given to non-state entities, no matter if you are sympathetic to their cause, especially since unlike rifles and ammunition they require a lot of training, support, and logistics guerrillas really can't provide. It is just not the same as sending rifles. The same is true to an even greater extent to aircraft.
    Кто там?
    Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
    Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Some M24 Chaffee, M8 Greyhound and M3 halftrack were captured from the French, but none was actually used during the war.

Comment

Originally posted by chiangshan View Post
        Some M24 Chaffee, M8 Greyhound and M3 halftrack were captured from the French, but none was actually used during the war.
        Any pictures or citations here, or dates of capture, etc.? I thought the French destroyed tanks if they were going to be captured.
        "The Bangalore Torpedo was 50' long and packed with 85 pounds of TNT and you assembled it along the way. By hand. I'd love to meet the ******* who invented it."

Comment

Originally posted by BCap View Post
          Any pictures or citations here, or dates of capture, etc.? I thought the French destroyed tanks if they were going to be captured.
          Think about what you wrote. It's not always possible to take the time to destroy equipment that may be captured nor always have the gear at hand to do that job.
          Skip

Comment

Originally posted by skiplc View Post
            Think about what you wrote. It's not always possible to take the time to destroy equipment that may be captured nor always have the gear at hand to do that job.
            And it's not always impossible to repair the damaged vehicles.

Here's a picture of PAVN's M8 and M3 in 1955-1960 period.

The M24s Chaffee are more popular. 3 were captured in Battle of Dien Bien Phu and used for training.

Comment

I thought that only a few tanks survived DBP and then escaped before capitulation? So were these surrendered along with the garrison?

Comment

OK, I just saw something that said two tanks (one of them was called Douaumont) were badly damaged and couldn't move, but could still be used as pillboxes, and that the remaining tanks were destroyed by the French after the battle.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X