I’ve scanned the relevant bits from:
    Duncanson
    Windrow
    Duiker
    MacDonald
    And Lancaster.

The link to the file is here

http://ifile.it/40ivf89/Battle%20of%20Hanoi%201946.pdf

From these secondary sources you should be able to compile an orbat for the VM in December 1946. I personally favour Lancaster as the most reliable source. Lancaster was the British Secret Intelligence Service representative in Hanoi and it was part of his job to compile an accurate Orbat. He is also probably the least politically biased source.

David Marr is working on the follow up to 1945 ‘The Quest for Power’ I expect that when his new book is out your question will be categorically answered.

As to the question “What is the plan?’ There is a lot of background on the political decisions to go to war in 1946 in these excerpts as well. The answer is in them.

I think that war in 1946 was a mistake.

Do you think that HCM and Giap in particular should have displayed more patience?

Cheers

Mick

Leave a comment:

• Boonierat
    replied
    Sega, I'd appreciate that you stop quoting wikipedia articles without providing a link. Besides, I'm sure chiangshan is aware of it and is looking for a bit more substance, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• SegaSaturnGamer
    replied
    Originally posted by chiangshan View Post
    Well, I know maybe from French side this battle is only considered as a small clash, but I'm still looking for all information about it. I'm after everything, OOB, weapons, battles, casualties, pictures, books, etc. Thanks in advance
    Explosives were used by the VietMinh to detonate parts of Hanoi.

The French commander was Louis Morlière while the VietMinh commander was Vuong Thua Vu.

On December 19, 1946 Vietnamese nationalists fighting for the foundation of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam under Ho Chi Minh detonated explosives in Hanoi, and the ensuing battle, known as the Battle of Hanoi marked the opening salvo of the First Indochina War. The explosives, set off at 20:03 in the evening, had been smuggled past French Army guards into the city's power plant. The result explosion plunged Hanoi into darkness, and throughout the city the newly formed Viet-Minh began attacking French military positions and French homes.Surviving French troops, alerted by friendly spies, gradually gained a numerical superiority. French artillery shelled the city, and house to house searches for conducted searching for the Viet-Minh leadership.

Ho Chi Minh was at the time ill with fever, and Vo Nguyen Giap ordered "all soldiers... to stand together, go into battle, destroy the invaders, and save the nation." Eventual French superiority in fire-power forced the Viet-Minh to withdraw to mountains 80 miles to the north of the city. According to the Viet Minh, this was a strategic retreat of them to reserve their force. After expunging the Viet-Minh from the city, which has taken several days, the French demanded the military surrender of their opponents, however the latter refused. The United States, alarmed at the incident, despatched Moffat on a special mission to Saigon and Hanoi to consider a negotiated referendum, however the realisation that the Viet-Minh would not accept compromise led to the US abandoning the idea,

Leave a comment:

• chiangshan
    started a topic Battle of Hanoi 1946?

Battle of Hanoi 1946?

Well, I know maybe from French side this battle is only considered as a small clash, but I'm still looking for all information about it. I'm after everything, OOB, weapons, battles, casualties, pictures, books, etc. Thanks in advance

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X