French in Indochina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French in Indochina

I know this subject has been driven onto the ground.Im still searching for more info ,sites etc on the use of German WW2 troops in IndoChina.The Battiol of the Damned type of thing.Anyone give me any help.
    Thanks

There is a doku from Marc EBERLE "In Fremden Diensten" about that translated in french and broadcasted by french public tv "arte".
    More than 60% of the Legion was german or Austrian.
    Some of them went out and fight for Viet-cong and after the war were back in ost germany. There was a paper " Waffen Bruder".
    There was also french waffen ss in jail after the war, and some signed to go in indochina to be free.

Very interesting to see germans, french ss, french free fighters (De Gaulle) in a JU 52 dropped in the jungle for colonisation of another count. Things happens...

Comment

Large-dwarf, the numbers I have, from a source recommended by the Legion Historical Section, gives the origins of Legionnaires in Indochina as follows: Germans 40%; Latins 22%; Anglo-Saxons 0.6%; Eastern European 9%; Western Europeans 11%; Nordics 1%; French 16%; and "others" 0.4%) Source: M. Bodin, Le C.E.F.E.O. en Indochine 1945-1954 These de Doctorat, Paris Sorbonne, 1991, 5 volumes, 1,747 pages, at pages 481-482 On a side note, the percentage of Legion deserters based upon 594 cases of desertion lists Germans at 54.5%,the highest percentage, followed by Eastern Europeans at 19.5%. (M. Bodin, op cit, p. 1230.)

Note that the numbers of German Legionnaires were higher prior to 1951. I presume that the percentages cover up to 1954.

Si vous etes a Paris, peut-etre vous vous pouvez en trouver la-bas.
      dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Merci Lirelou.
        Non je ne suis pas Paris.
        I've gat 1600 germans prisoners after Dien Bien Phu for about 7000.

What is clear is that france "smuggled" germans to get in the legion for years.

Have seen "le rapport secret" docmentaire de Patrick Jeudy ?

Comment

We have also another strange "collaboration" between french and japonese just after the war.

Comment

Loustau mentions an example in his "Les Deux Bataillons". After all, the French were short manpower, and the majority of Japanese were still willing to follow orders, and were well disciplined and trained. Under the Geneva conventions, Prisoners of war can be put to work. This was unusual only in that the POWs were armed, and responding to orders issued by the French high command.
            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Re Grosnain 20 Mar.......Re French "smuggling " Germans for the Indo China War.......My late father in law ( Sgt Mjr Waffen SS) was sitting in a POW Camp in Austria at the end of WW2 when the French came around looking for "volunteers" for The Legion and Indo China....so I dont know what the French were "smuggling".....Note.. He declined the offer...just wanted to get home to the farm.....

Comment

Smuggling is because after a date it was not possible to "pick up" germans from camps, prison or what else. And french legion did long time after, and organised extraction of new requits. It's also about the age of the recuits, that's why i used smuggling but it was not a critic just the facts.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X