Anniversary of ceasefire in French Indochina war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anniversary of ceasefire in French Indochina war

July 20,1954 is the date of the ceasefire that signaled the end of the first Indochina war. This came three days after the final battle in the destruction of French Mobile Group 100 in the central highlands. This is the battle that is depicted at the beginning of We Were Soldiers.

Originally posted by Redeye View Post
    This is the battle that is depicted at the beginning of We Were Soldiers.
    And quite poorly I might add, there wasn't any légionnaires in GM100, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mang_Yang_Pass

(The Mang Yang Pass in 1968)
    Last edited by Boonierat; 21 Jul 07, 01:50.

Comment

I believe it was the Hollywood 'abrievated version' of events.
      Based on history but only the facts have been changed to protect the innocent.
      I am not stuck in the 60's and 70's -I choose to live there :)
      "Vision without action is a daydream. Action with without vision is a nightmare."

Comment

On the 21st, the Geneva Conference created the partition between North and South Vietnam.
        And the beat goes on...

Comment

I agree the movie portrayal of the battle was pathetic but it wasn't as pathetic as the bayonet charge at the end. At least the battle scene got the message across that the French suffered a serious defeat. The bayonet charge was pure Hollywood and marred an otherwise fine movie.

The terrain in the photo of the Mang Yang Pass looks just like California!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X