North Vietnam Propaganda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Vietnam Propaganda

This document I found at Texas Tech...it appears to present the "typical" messages used by Hanoi to spread their Propaganda.

Altus, I'm curious if this is this "typical" wordings you received as a youngster growing up in the N. Vietnam eduction system?

If so, than it's no wonder you are very skeptical as to what information we "Westerners" provide, and your constant DEMAND for proof by providing written facts. These are samples of written "so called" facts provided by your communist friends. I question most of it.

Typical N. Vietnam Propaganda
    http://www.virtual.vietnam.ttu.edu/c...2310614007.pdf

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
    Altus, I'm curious if this is this "typical" wordings you received as a youngster growing up in the N. Vietnam eduction system?
    No, Vietnamese education system which I was brought up in used much more abridged language than what Nhân Dân featured.

At the time when I entered high school, most people already knew what level of factoid credibility should be applied to "Nhân Dân"

"Nhân Dân" was part of the "fighting with a pen" task and you will never see me citing facts from it.

Most of my skepticism didn't come from what I learned in school. In fact I've learned to reevaluate most of that knowledge. My healthy skepticism, and the habit of insistence on facts and arguments I acquired mostly from what I could read after I left Vietnam. So, I think you can save the cliché "Tell me what you learned at your primary school, I'll tell you who you are" for someone else.

I have utmost respect for you and wouldn't want to see you follow the much beaten "you must have been brainwashed" track.

Not-born-yesterday-ly yours,

Altus
    Last edited by altus; 16 Jun 10, 18:48.

Comment

Originally posted by altus View Post
      No, Vietnamese education system which I was brought up in used much more abridged language than what Nhân Dân featured.

At the time when I entered high school, most people already knew what level of factoid credibility should be applied to "Nhân Dân"

"Nhân Dân" was part of the "fighting with a pen" task and you will never see me citing facts from it.

Most of my skepticism didn't come from what I learned in school. In fact I've learned to reevaluate most of that knowledge. My healthy skepticism, and the habit of insistence on facts and arguments I acquired mostly from what I could read after I left Vietnam. So, I think you can save the cliché "Tell me what you learned at your primary school, I'll tell you who you are" for someone else.

I have utmost respect for you and wouldn't want to see you follow the much beaten "you must have been brainwashed" track.

Altus
      That's why we respect and like you, Altus! You are a good soldier and stalwart defender - but also an independent, articulate, and witty thinker. Now, here is an American colloquialism, referring to ego inflation, you may have heard: "Don't let it go to your head!" . . . or "Now, he'll have a big head!" Naw, probably not in your nature.

-- RR

www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Interesting revision of facts for Attleboro and Cedar Falls, operations that I participated in, where we destroyed their bases and cleaned their clocks when they chose to fight instead of running away into Cambodia.

Hanoi Hanna knew more about the objectives of those missions then we did. We could, of course use that propaganda to sidestep any traps that they had prepared for us. More often then not, they would chose to abandon their camps rather then stay and fight.
        “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Altus
          Altus my friend,

My question was sincere and serious; since you already respect me and basically know how I write things - I'm pretty much up front and don't set "sneaky trap" type of questions and/or try and use the "cliches" you brought out to pigeon hole folks, like some in this forum; not my style; as you well know.

P.S. As an afterthought, we are all "brainwashed" with our ideologies - are we not?

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 16 Jun 10, 19:30.
          1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
          Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
          Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
          What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
            P.S. As an afterthought, we are all "brainwashed" with our ideologies - are we not?
            No we aren't. We may have our own bias, prejudice and stereotypes, but as long as we don't employ them as the weapon of choice in debates, and keep and open mind for the ones of our adversaries, then brainwashed we ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioResearcher View Post
              That's why we respect and like you, Altus!
              Thank you, RR! I do appreciate your warm words. And, if I may, were those messages really in Mandarin?

Curiously yours,

Altus

Comment

Thank you, RR! I do appreciate your warm words. And, if I may, were those messages really in Mandarin?

Curiously yours,

Altus
                . . . Oh, I recall - you informed me they were Taiwanese signatures . . . .

-- RR

Last edited by RadioResearcher; 16 Jun 10, 22:27.
                www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

LOL! loved Operation "DICKHOUSE FIVE", guess there was lot of boom boom during this one

Comment

They stopped shooting during Christmas, New Year and Tet??? Silly me, I never picked up on that.
                    "Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?" -Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Comment

"during the past two years they completely annihilated 130,000 of the US aggressors"

WOW, talk about inflated body counts!

Comment

Originally posted by steelpot View Post
                        "during the past two years they completely annihilated 130,000 of the US aggressors"

WOW, talk about inflated body counts!
                        Maybe they counted the South Vietnamese civilians they slaughtered as part of that body count.
                        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by rotorwash View Post
                          They stopped shooting during Christmas, New Year and Tet??? Silly me, I never picked up on that.
                          Funny, I don't remember the cease fire being observed during Tet67 along the Cambodian border. Ed Schell was killed the day before along with half of my squad getting wounded by RPGs in an ambush. We were unable to recover the body until a day later. Arthur Sisco died a month later from gangrene in his leg. There were several firefights with VC from across the river which was the border. We wiped out several base camps and captured or destroyed tons of supplies. Garth got his brownie points with Westmoreland thanks to our insistence that kept him from the mission timetable when we found a huge communications gear stash buried in hidden underground bunkers.
                          “Breaking News,”

“Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X