F4 Phantom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F4 Phantom

Was the Phantom the best fighter in the Vietnam War?

A little bit latter versions were equipped with a gun, when the were to close to the deck to use missiles. It had a speed of mach 2.23 roughly 1500 mph. A backseater assisted in spotting opposing fighters, visually as well as on the radar. The altitude of 98,557 ft gave it quiet a height advantage with which to take down North Vietnamese aircraft.
    Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 10 Jun 10, 12:08.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

I love the F-4...usually not pretty, but it had range, speed, payload, and could be outfitted to do just about anything (and it has been outfitted to do just about anything).

I doubt they were likely to reach 98,000+ in any normal combat mission in Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post
      I love the F-4...usually not pretty, but it had range, speed, payload, and could be outfitted to do just about anything (and it has been outfitted to do just about anything).

I doubt they were likely to reach 98,000+ in any normal combat mission in Vietnam.
      I had read some where that it reached a record heaight of 98,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Cicero View Post

Not pretty!!!!!! Lack of taste on your part.

Looks just like it was. A kick ass a/c one of the best of the best ever built.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

90,000 feet would be in a test environment under specific conditions. I'm curious, between this thread and your P-51/P-47 thread, do you actually know anything about airplanes?

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
            90,000 feet would be in a test environment under specific conditions. I'm curious, between this thread and your P-51/P-47 thread, do you actually know anything about airplanes?

Operation Top Flight: On 6 December 1959, the second XF4H-1 performed a zoom climb to a world record 98,557 ft (30,040 m).[12] The previous record of 94,658 ft (28,852 m) was set by a Soviet Sukhoi T-43-1 prototype. Commander Lawrence E. Flint, Jr., USN accelerated his aircraft to Mach 2.5 at 47,000 ft (14,330 m) and climbed to 90,000 ft (27,430 m) at a 45° angle. He then shut down the engines and glided to the peak altitude. As the aircraft fell through 70,000 ft (21,300 m), Flint restarted the engines and resumed normal flight.[33]
            wiki

Service ceiling was 60,000 ft. Impressive but still a VERY big difference to 90k +
            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Personally, I love the F-4 Phantom... Particularly the Navy's F-4B and F-4J.

However, the Phantom did not have the best air-to-air stat's among US jet fighter aircraft in the Vietnam War.

US Navy F-8 Crusaders had the best kill ratio. And despite being known as the "Last of the Gunfighters," almost all of the Crusaders' kills were with AIM-9 Sidewinders.

Oddly enough, USAF F-105D Thunderchiefs, the Thuds, had the best kill ratio in "guns only" fights.
              Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                Yes, I know some, but my knowledge about them is limited compared to others on this forum. I actually love airplanes. I just want to learn more about airplanes. If you want me to stop posting threads about airplanes I will stop.
                Last edited by Johnny_Reb; 10 Jun 10, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Reb View Post
                  Yes, I know some, but my knowledge about them is limited compared to others on this forum. I actually love airplanes. I just want to learn more about airplanes. If you want me to stop posting threads about airplanes I will stop.
                  Never stop trying to learn about things that interest you...
                  Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Don't do that. I fell in love with aircraft when I read my first Biggles book 30 odd years ago, and I learn something new everytime I read an aircraft thread here.

No stupid questions just stupid answers, eh?

Ask away and we all will all learn something we didn't already know.
                    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

As many others have said; don't stop asking questions. It is said a wise person admits his ignorance and attempts to learn; the fool thinks he knows everything.

The oddest air to air kills were two MiG-17s by A-1 Skyraiders.

http://www.vnafmamn.com/Skyraider_vs_MIG17.html
                      Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardS View Post
                        As many others have said; don't stop asking questions. It is said a wise person admits his ignorance and attempts to learn; the fool thinks he knows everything.

The oddest air to air kills were two MiG-17s by A-1 Skyraiders.

http://www.vnafmamn.com/Skyraider_vs_MIG17.html
                        I watched that fight on Dogfights. I was great to hear how excited they were over their two kills.

Comment

I watched that fight on Dogfights. I was great to hear how excited they were over their two kills.
                          VA-25 A-1 Skyraiders from USS Midway carried out the great "toilet" bombing raid...

(Note the toilet strapped under the right wing of #572.)

Last edited by The Doctor; 10 Jun 10, 15:05.

Comment

Don't stop asking questions. But please do stop stating things that are incorrect, or based off of speculation.

Doc, they actually made a model with the toilet bomb?

Comment

"Chico the Gunfighter" was a a Danang-based USAF F-4E fitted out with a pair of SUU-23/A 20 mm cannon pods and US Navy Mk 20 Rockeye II Cluster Bombs (borrowed from the Marines) for Fast FAC missions in 1972.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X