Looking for Reenlistment Rates in VN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Reenlistment Rates in VN

I believe the total number of Americans in Vietnam were 2.9 to 3.1 million, rounded off statistically at 3 million.

I have been googling and searching here also for

the number/percentage that voluntarily reenlisted to serve in Vietnam again/stay after their initial tour was completed.

Reason for asking: someone I know thinks it was 50%, and I think this number is too high.

Originally posted by Krane View Post
    I believe the total number of Americans in Vietnam were 2.9 to 3.1 million, rounded off statistically at 3 million.

I have been googling and searching here also for

the number/percentage that voluntarily reenlisted to serve in Vietnam again/stay after their initial tour was completed.

Reason for asking: someone I know thinks it was 50%, and I think this number is too high.
    Way, way too high.

Doug Reese

Comment

I would agree.... and the type of unit and location would also play a big factor in figuring out those numbers.

Originally posted by dougreese View Post
      Way, way too high.

Doug Reese
      My worst jump story:
      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
      No lie.

~
      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

I think it would also depend on branch of service as well. And are you talking Vietnam itself only? For example my dad went to Thailand 3 times during the war in the USAF.
        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks.

As you know I'm a long-term Saigon dweller and now a Hanoian.

I think these stats will be too difficult to get.

Comment

I would agree for the most part but the military does tabulate some strange stuff so I wouldn't give up completely.

Originally posted by Krane View Post
            Thanks for the replies, folks.

As you know I'm a long-term Saigon dweller and now a Hanoian.

I think these stats will be too difficult to get.
            My worst jump story:
            No lie.

~
            -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

TTU is truly a marvel

Hi Krane,

I think this should help.

Comment

That's an interesting chart. I wonder wonder why the Air Force would improve retention during 70, 71, and 72 when the others tanked. Even the Army improved during 70 and 71 before bottoming out in 72.

Comment

Now I remember seeing the book that had this data.... it had some interesting information in it. Nice find!

Originally posted by altus View Post
                  Hi Krane,

I think this should help.

My worst jump story:
                  No lie.

~
                  -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

As one Air Force guy told me.... "I never had to sleep on the ground".

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                    That's an interesting chart. I wonder wonder why the Air Force would improve retention during 70, 71, and 72 when the others tanked. Even the Army improved during 70 and 71 before bottoming out in 72.
                    My worst jump story:
                    No lie.

~
                    -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

altus, thanks for the stat.

Thanks to others, also.

Comment

I was there in 69-70 and at that time the Army would give a 150 day "drop" to anyone DEROSing with 150 days or less to serve once they hit the States. Several guys I knew extended their tour to take advantage of this. I didn't have to extend to take advantage of this, I got a drop of 90 days and seperated at Ft Lewis within 48 hours of arrival.
                        While not actually a re-enlistment I suppose some government bean counter with an agenda could twist the numbers a bit.
                        Last edited by ricepaddydaddy; 08 Jun 10, 11:09.
                        There is nothing so exhillarating as to be shot at without result.
                        Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't think they could or would claim that as a re-enlistment it is an extension of service... maximum up to six years. With command approval a soldier could extend his enlistment for up to one year, after that time he ended his contract or re-enlisted.

Originally posted by ricepaddydaddy View Post
                          I was there in 69-70 and at that time the Army would give a 150 day "drop" to anyone DEROSing with 150 days or less to serve once they hit the States. Several guys I knew extended their tour to take advantage of this. I didn't have to extend to take advantage of this, I got a drop of 90 days and seperated at Ft Lewis within 48 hours of arrival.
                          While not actually a re-enlistment I suppose some government bean counter with an agenda could twist the numbers a bit.
                          My worst jump story:
                          No lie.

~
                          -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

My situation was like Ricepaddydaddy. I spent all 1969 and all 1970 there with two extensions then DEROS'd in Feb 71. It wasn't my choice but all they would guarantee me was an Armor unit at Ft Hood.

I would have gladly reenlisted and stayed for the duration and then some if I could have stayed in country but that wasn't in the picture. As a 3, 3 VN Linguist I was one of a small number who could do a complete interrogation without an interpreter in the country but that didn't matter. I felt it was as waste of the skills they gave me and I worked hard to hone. BUT, it was the Army, wasn't it?

TRU
                            Last edited by TRU; 14 Jun 10, 21:47.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X