Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article

Hi,

I came across this article in my hometown's newspaper about a ceremony to honor a group of Hmong veterans who fought for General Pao's army alongside US forces.

I'm sure this group knows of this, so my question is were they effective in their assistance to the US?

http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/art...Hmong-veterans

It is nice to see those who stood up being remembered.
    Last edited by Twitter3; 27 May 10, 10:33.
    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Effective? You betcha' your buck they were.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Yes. The various mountain peoples were some of the best allies the US ever had anywhere. The SF guys who worked with them just love them and set up support groups for them after the war when the US government abandoned them.

Comment

Thank you Trialboss49 and Miss Saigon.

Were these forces then under direct command in the field by US commanders or were they given orders by the US and then carried out the orders using their own commanders?
        "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
        -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
          Thank you Trialboss49 and Miss Saigon.

Were these forces then under direct command in the field by US commanders or were they given orders by the US and then carried out the orders using their own commanders?
          The Hmong in Laos were usually under their own commanders with CIA and SF advisers and support. With the other Montagnards in Vietnam it was a bit more complicated. They theoretically had their own commanders and the Americans were just advisers, but in practice most were likely really taking direction from the Green Berets they were working with.

There are others here who can provide more authoritative information for you on this.

Comment

Vang Pao and the French

One small historical tidbit: According to a roster I once saw, Vang Pao was a lieutenant in the French Groupement de Commandos Mixtes Aeroportes in Laos during the first Indochina War. Of interest, he is listed on that roster as serving 'a titre francais', which I presume means he could have gone on to a career in the French Army had he desired to do so. One wonders if he was possibly part of a French 'stay-behind' operation after the French pulled out, but in any event he elected to stay behind and was quick to accept the same role when the Americans came looking for someone to support.
            dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X