X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

> Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

May 17, 2010 - By RAYMOND HERNANDEZ - NY Times

At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

“We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.
    Last edited by Boonierat; 17 May 10, 23:48.
    Vietnam - Co.A 3/21, 196th Light Infantry Brigade
    Austin "Little Colony" Bastrop 1830 - Republic of Texas
    NRA - Lifer

Jack,

I trimmed the article to the first few paragraphs, ACG does not allow the posting of full articles for copyright reasons

Comment

thanx Boonie
      -----

the guy is a scum bag
      hopefully this will kill his professional career
      NRA - Lifer

Comment

Skin him!

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I hope all of his political opponents make hay out of his 'misspeak'.

"Gee you guys took it totally out of context. I didn't say that I sever in Vietnam, I meant that a guy I knew had a friend who had a cousin who served."
          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Isn't that a violation of the stolen valor act?

Comment

Well, this ruined my morning coffee. Five deferments, then a prized reserve position, I guess the Harvard education didn't go to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                I hope all of his political opponents make hay out of his 'misspeak'.

"Gee you guys took it totally out of context. I didn't say that I sever in Vietnam, I meant that a guy I knew had a friend who had a cousin who served."
                "Furthermore, I think it's time to . . . ah . . . er . . . put all of this . . . you know . . . the pain and discord of the Vietnam conflict and all . . . behind us . . . and move on with today's issues . . . like my holding office."

-- RR
                www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Well, this ruined my morning coffee. Five deferments, then a prized reserve position, I guess the Harvard education didn't go to waste.
                  And speaking of Harvard educations, they too have their problems with phonies. Who would have guessed?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/18/....html?hpt=Sbin
                  dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Garbage in...garbage out.

Comment

Originally posted by lirelou View Post
                      And speaking of Harvard educations, they too have their problems with phonies. Who would have guessed?
                      I would have.

I know a guy who has been pretending to be a PhD for years. Not on the level of fraud as the guy in the story but fraud none the less.

The person I know mostly does it to get small perks. He says it helps him mostly to get free upgrades on airline tickets, hotels, and rental cars. People see the word doctor on his credit cards and often give up the perks. He says it is most effective for him while traveling in Europe where people are more impressed by academic titles.

On the theory that if I know someone doing this it can't be uncommon, I would guess that there are thousands of people doing this to one level or another and they are everywhere.

Comment

what gets me about this story...

When I got drafted and sent to Nam in the infantry, and came home, we lied about being in Nam, and tried as fast as possible to grow our hair out and blend back into society so we wouldn't get called a baby killer...

Now that everyone feels guilty about the way they treated us they want to steal the sympathy and belated respect that people offer us now...

the world has no class !!
                        NRA - Lifer

Comment

Originally posted by CaptJack View Post
                          what gets me about this story...

When I got drafted and sent to Nam in the infantry, and came home, we lied about being in Nam, and tried as fast as possible to grow our hair out and blend back into society so we wouldn't get called a baby killer...

Now that everyone feels guilty about the way they treated us they want to steal the sympathy and belated respect that people offer us now...

the world has no class !!
                          Funny how folks are different Jack. When I finally got released from hospital and received my Disability Discharge, I shaved my head bald and dared "the long haired" society to challenge me - I was seriously pissed at all the LOVE CHILDREN and ANTI-WAR PROTESTERS (still am with the ANTI-WAR folks of yesterday and today)!

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                          Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                          Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                          What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Ken - when I got released from active duty (Ft.Hood) Debbie and I had been married 6 months.

I got a job in a little sheet metal shop just a couple of blocks from where we were living and I started the spring semester at Univ.of Houston about 3 weeks after I got home. I was working any hours I wasn't in class.

Debbie got a job at an insurance company and we slid right back into our local society with all of our friends.

I didn't talk about Vietnam for many years after I got home. It wasn't a topic anyone wanted to discuss.

about a year after I got out

and after I graduated from Univ.of Houston I went to work for Pennzoil - and life moved on.....
                            NRA - Lifer

Comment

a politician can do this but if any government employee did such a thing it would be automatic firing. A Football coach at Notre Dame if i remeber correctly was fired for slightly embellishing his experience.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X