Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas

More than 500,000 Texans served in the Vietnam War. While the war is history for some, the healing continues for others. That’s why the Texas Capitol Vietnam Monument is being created.

This granite and bronze sculpture – towering over the east side of the state Capitol in Austin – will forever acknowledge the noble sacrifices of U.S. military men and women, as well as the South Vietnamese military, during the war.

House approves resolution targeting Vietnamese flag

By Corrie MacLaggan | Monday, May 25, 2009, 05:07 PM

The Texas House today unanimously approved a resolution targeting the Vietnamese flag, which many Vietnamese Americans find offensive. The measure now goes to the Senate.

The flag — red with a yellow star in the center — reminds Vietnamese Americans of the violence during the Vietnam War and of a government that “still oppresses their own people,” said State Rep. Hubert Vo, D-Houston, the sole Vietnamese American member of the Texas Legislature.

Many Vietnamese Americans have adopted the former flag of South Vietnam — yellow with red stripes — which they call the Freedom and Heritage Flag. Gov. Rick Perry in 2004 recognized that flag as the official symbol of the Texas Vietnamese-American Community, and it has also been recognized by other state and local governments in the United States.

The resolution says that the red flag “represents a source of anguish to countless people who fled to the United States as a welcoming haven of liberty and tolerance,” while the golden flag “symbolizes both the Vietnamese cultural heritage and a deeply rooted resilience and yearning for democracy.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...tion_targ.html

You go girl!

-- RR
    www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

Great post and thank YOU to the citizens and their representatives in Texas. What a great state.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. When I get my Harley I'll see if I can't make it one of the stops on my ride across America.
        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
          Thanks for posting this. When I get my Harley I'll see if I can't make it one of the stops on my ride across America.
          I've got my Harley and one of these days will find the time for a cross country ride. It would be a pleasure to meet you there or ride to Texas with you.

Bill

Comment

I read somewhere? (I don't know how accurate) that at least 60% of all combat MOS troops in the military are Texans.
            It wouldn't surprise me...
            Vietnam - Co.A 3/21, 196th Light Infantry Brigade
            Austin "Little Colony" Bastrop 1830 - Republic of Texas
            NRA - Lifer

Comment

Texas Capitol Vietnam Monument

This granite and bronze sculpture – towering over the east side of the state Capitol in Austin – will forever acknowledge the noble sacrifices of U.S. military men and women, as well as the South Vietnamese military, during the war.
              http://www.buildthemonument.org/

-- RR
              www.RadioVietnam.net

Comment

I read somewhere? (I don't know how accurate) that at least 60% of all combat MOS troops in the military are Texans.
                Capt Jack, possibly true from a statistics perspective, but don't forget that many of us were Texans because of several years at Fort Bliss or Fort Hood, and then remained "Tax Texans" for many years afterward. Both my son and grandson were born in Texas (Fort Hood and Abilene, respectively), and one nephew is currently a Tax Texan, but none of them consider themselves to 'be from' Texas, nor would be considered Texans by the true, hard core Lone Star staters. (though they could still retire there, as I almost did).
                dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá gì!

Comment

lirelou - one very cool thing about being a Texas vet is Texas has a separate set of veteran's benefits beyond our federal GI bill.

The way the Texas veterans benefits work are - the veteran has to have been a legal citizen of Texas for 12 months before going into the service and they have to have gone into the service in Texas. They do not have to be a native born Texan.

When we got off active duty we had 8 years of school benefits, but regardless of how far you went with your education the benefits ran out after eight years. Texas has the "Hazelwood Act" - free school for the rest of your life - after your GI bill school benefits run out. I used them in the 90s when I went back to take computer classes.

We also have the Texas veterans Land Board which is CHEAP loans to buy small acreage tracts of land.

This is my Basic training platoon - everyone is a native born Texan. We carried our Texas flag with us every where we went.

Unlike the initial method of tearing down the individual in Basic to build them back together as a team the Texas platoon started out as a team (why they put the Texans together), and we were treated as such. We drew on individual talents among the platoon and totally dominated any and all platoon competitions in Basic.

NRA - Lifer

Comment

Jack,
                    Illinois has a similar education setup for veterans.It is lifetime. no expiration.I believe up to five years college.All tuition and fees paid. You only have to pay for books.

Damn.....with you two I guess no Texas jokes are allowed........

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
                      It would be a waste of a Harley if you didn't stop in Texas. It's not the desert in the John Wayne movies it is the greatest, most beautiful state in the union.
                      "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                      -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

Originally posted by IronMan15 View Post
                        It would be a waste of a Harley if you didn't stop in Texas. It's not the desert in the John Wayne movies it is the greatest, most beautiful state in the union.
                        I've been through Texas many a time including a year at Biggs Army Airfield next to El Paso, TX.

An amigo was riding shotgun while I was driving near Muleshoe, TX and informed me that he had seen the "Bird of Paradise" flying over. I commented that the bird had to be lost.

Texas is the only state in the Union which has the right at anytime to divide itself into 5 seperate states if it so desires. With that in mind I guess that we should allow Alaska to divide itself into 20 states if it wants since it's so much larger.
                        "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by IronMan15 View Post
                          Been stationed there. Drove North to south and back. East to west and I have yet to see anything I would even call attractive let alone beautiful, except the High Plains in the northern Panhandle, and a sign that said your now entering New Mexico.

Unless you have been in all the other 49 States, which I seriously doubt, then you really don't know, now do you?
                          Last edited by Half Pint John; 07 May 10, 07:14.
                          "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioResearcher View Post
                            Now if they would only display the Flag properly.
                            "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

you folks be nice about my beloved Texas - I'm 7th generation on my Mom's side & 5th generation on my Dad's side - we take being the Republic of Texas very seriously
                              NRA - Lifer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X