Everybody welcomes Mohawk, 149th MI Group // 3d Bde, 82d Abn Div

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everybody welcomes Mohawk, 149th MI Group // 3d Bde, 82d Abn Div

My first tour in VN was Nov 66-Nov 67, I was assigned to the 149th Military Intelligence Group, 1st Battalion (collection). During my tour I was an advisor to an RVN Special Forces Intelligence Collection Unit. That unit performed intelligence collection efforts in II, III and IV Corps. Upon my DEROS I was assigned the the 82nd MI Detachment at Fort Bragg as the Special Agent in Charge of the Counter-Intelligence Section. I was only back in the states 93 days when the orders were given for the 3d Brigade to deploy. At the time we were on alert because the US Navy Ship Mayaquez was held by the North Koreans. I was on the 4th aircraft out of Pope AFB enroute to a classified destination. President Johnson addressed most of the Brigade after we had already departed. We arrived in Japan and those of us on those first four aircraft thought we were going to "chute up" and make a jump in Won Son Harbor in N. Korea. Much to our surprise our real destination was Chu Lai RVN. A large majority of the Brigade at that time were recent returnees to the states from VN like myself. By the time the entire Brigade arrived in Chu Lai, we convoyed in 3 groups to Phu Bai and became operationally attached to the 101st Abn Div there. After 60 days in a combat situation, those of us who were deployed shortly after our return from our previous tour, were given the option of returning home or staying in country with the Brigade. Yes there was quite of few non-airborne personnel assigned to fill slots in the Brigade at that time due to so many of us electing to return to Fort Bragg.

Originally posted by Mohawk View Post
    My first tour in VN was Nov 66-Nov 67
    Thank you for your service in the cause of Freedom for the Vietnamese people.

Comment

Glad you found us Mohawk! and welcome to ACG

I'd like to hear more about your time with the Golden Brigade, especially the mess about its deployment, what did you chose? did you return to Ft Bragg?

Comment

Hello Mohawk and welcome to the ACG forums....Thank you for your service
        "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
        "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

YO MOHAWK

Welcome. Hope you enjoy this forum as much as I.

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
          Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
          Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
          What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I will try and become an avid contributor!!

Comment

Hey Boonierat, I did chose to return to the states. Upon my return, I applied for Flight School, and returned to Viet Nam for a third tour 69-70 with the 73d Surveillance Airplane Company, initially in Vung Tau then relocated to Long Thanh North Army Airfield. I have many pictures from all my tours and will try and share them with you all, again thank you, it was an honor to serve my country.

Comment

Welcome, sir.
                Dirige domine cor meum in prelio et doce manus in bello

Comment

Welcome. There are a LOT of good folks here. Hope you enjoy yourself.

Wal
                  "Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers...can you see how incredible this is going to be...hang gliding? Come on! "
                  -Dignan

Comment

Nice to have another MI type on board, even if it is on the "spook" side. Welcome.
                    Si te chingas con el toro....Te lo mete el cuerno! Old New Mexico Proverb

Comment

Mohawk, You're confusing the Mayaguez, a US Flagged civilian ship seized by the Khmer Rouge and taken to a nearby island in the Gulf of Thailand in 1975, with the USS Pueblo, a US Naval intel vessel seized by the North Korean in early 1968.
                      dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Welcome aboard, Sir. We're glad you're here.
                        Eagles may fly; but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines!

"I'm not expendable; I'm not stupid and I'm not going." - Kerr Avon, Blake's 7

What didn't kill us; didn't make us smarter.

Comment

Welcome home, glad you make it back safe...3 times.
                          "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Greetings and welcome home from me also........

Comment

Welcome aboard Mohawk. Yes, it is nice to have another intel type here.

Bill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X