Agent Orange and Alzheimer's Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent Orange and Alzheimer's Link

My husband was in Vietnam from Oct 67-Oct 68, primarily around Chu Lai. He is 70% disabled for PTSD and tinnitus since 2003 (yes, it took awhile for him to 'come in'). A private sector neurologist and a neuro-psychologist diagnosed him with early Alzheimer's Disease last March. K Yaffe PhD published a study (funded by the Dept of Defense) and presented it at an International Conference in July 2009. They found a greater association of vets who were exposed to AO that later developed Alzheimer's disease then initially expected; when they changed (actually tightened the controls) the incidence jumped instead of decreased.

My question is - does anyone know if the VA is going to do anything about this?? It took a very long time to get Diabetes, Hypertension, Parkison's, etc... linked. We are open to guidance and suggestions for what we should do at this point. He is worried that if we try for 100% disability that somehow he will lose the 70% he has now. Should we be concerned?? Since the 70% was established he has had titanium rods put in his back, both knees replaced and now is oxygen dependent from COPD. A 100% rating would allow me to take care of him without worrying about loss of my income and savings for retirement. I'm a RN; we want to enjoy time together while he can (just celebrated 25th anniversary), and keep him at home as long as possible.

Any suggestions????

Welcome to the ACG forums I do not know anything on that subject Sorry.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
    - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Go to the vietnam forums......... someone there may have some help

Comment

welcome, hope you find what you are looking for here...

Comment

My name is Kimberly and I just read your post. My aunt has just been diagnosed with early on set Alzheimers. She was a nurse in Vietnam in ChuChi during the years of 67-70. I wonder how close that is to where your husband served. I want to put a list together of people that are suffering the same disease in hopes that the VA will soon cover it. Thanks for your time look forward to hearing from you.

Comment

AFAIK the VA moves in ponderous and slow (but to some, thorough) ways. Check out the VietNam forum, the American Legion, VFW and other servicemen's clubs. They may have databases that may help prove what you are trying to accomplish.
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Originally posted by vietnamvet6768 View Post
              My husband was in Vietnam from Oct 67-Oct 68, primarily around Chu Lai. He is 70% disabled for PTSD and tinnitus since 2003 (yes, it took awhile for him to 'come in'). A private sector neurologist and a neuro-psychologist diagnosed him with early Alzheimer's Disease last March. K Yaffe PhD published a study (funded by the Dept of Defense) and presented it at an International Conference in July 2009. They found a greater association of vets who were exposed to AO that later developed Alzheimer's disease then initially expected; when they changed (actually tightened the controls) the incidence jumped instead of decreased.

My question is - does anyone know if the VA is going to do anything about this?? It took a very long time to get Diabetes, Hypertension, Parkison's, etc... linked. We are open to guidance and suggestions for what we should do at this point. He is worried that if we try for 100% disability that somehow he will lose the 70% he has now. Should we be concerned?? Since the 70% was established he has had titanium rods put in his back, both knees replaced and now is oxygen dependent from COPD. A 100% rating would allow me to take care of him without worrying about loss of my income and savings for retirement. I'm a RN; we want to enjoy time together while he can (just celebrated 25th anniversary), and keep him at home as long as possible.

Any suggestions????
              I have not seen anything about connecting Agent Orange with Alzheimer's. Since he has 70% for two disabilities, he may qualify for Individual Unemployability. If you still know the Service Officer who assisted with the original claims you should contact him/her. Otherwise check with your nearest Veterans organizations, VA Clinic or hospital - they should be able to connect you to the right person.

He should not have to worry about filing any new claims and losing anything, that is not likely, but the time may have expired in order to file an appeal on the PTSD if he has had it since '03. Ind. Unemploy. compensation is the same as 100% disability and it sounds like he may be a good candidate.

Do a little research on the net and find a claims service officer to get you off on the right start.
              www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

I read or heard somewhere........ if you are awarded a disability. they cannot "take" it away..........

Comment

Originally posted by jeffdoorgunnr View Post
                  I read or heard somewhere........ if you are awarded a disability. they cannot "take" it away..........
                  I haven't heard of anyone completely losing their disability rating but they may be reduced in percentage, following further exams.
                  www.writersamuseme.com/stevepark.htm#878116944

Comment

Has anyone started a registry of Viet Nam vets who where exposed to AO and have been diagnosed with AD?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X