Operations for 1st DIV, 1/28th during JAN '66 - JUN '67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operations for 1st DIV, 1/28th during JAN '66 - JUN '67

I've had an inquiry from a nephew of a 1/28th Black Lion where his Uncle was with A Co, 1/28th. I do not have much information prior to my time Jun '67. So what can you folks provide in the way of info for Jan '66 thru Jun '67. Any AAR's and/or LLR's and/or other documents?

In addition any information re: HO BO WOODS (pictures, and whatever?)

THANKS,

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Ken, download my operations chronology for 1966 here:

http://sites.google.com/site/vietnam...vco-chronology

and make a search for 1-28 to find all the operations involving the battalion.

The following ORLLs are available at the DTIC:

LESSONS LEARNED, HEADQUARTERS, 1ST INFANTRY DIVISION Period Ending 31 July 1966

LESSONS LEARNED, HEADQUARTERS, 1ST INFANTRY DIVISION Period Ending 30 April 1967

LESSONS LEARNED, HEADQUARTERS, 1ST INFANTRY DIVISION Period Ending 31 July 1967

They also have quite a few AARs concerning the BRO during this period.

Comment

The Ho Bo Woods were located between the Filhol Plantation to the east and the Boi Loi Woods to the west, on the south bank of the Sai Gon River:

Comment

DAMN U DO GOOD WORK BOONIE!

Your post #2 with OPERATIONS FOR 1965 & 1966

Now when does 1967 & 1968 get finished?? I'm drooling about the mouth.

Here are a couple of things you PROBABLY have - wish I could find 1967 & 1968 like these.

1965 MACV HISTORY OVERVIEW
        http://www.testgoons.com/ccSEA/Chron...MACV_1965.html
        1st Inf Div arrives July 12, 1965

1966 MACV HISTORY OVERVIEW
        http://www.dcbsoftware.com/ccSEA/Chr...MACV_1966.html

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK BUD.

What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Working on 1967 right now, its giving me headaches )

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat View Post
            Working on 1967 right now, its giving me headaches )
            Anything re: 1st ID (OR WHATEVER) that I can help you with? Don't know what but I can search also!

Comment

Originally posted by KEN JENSEN View Post
              Anything re: 1st ID (OR WHATEVER) that I can help you with? Don't know what but I can search also!
              It's not the lack of documents that's giving me headaches, rather the abundance of (the AAR for the 1st Inf Div's participation in Operation JUNCTION CITY for example is 220 pages long...)
              Last edited by Boonierat; 26 Mar 10, 15:24.

Comment

Ken & Boonie:
                Glad I missed Junction City. I got to Nam with the 1/28th on April 23rd, 1967 but met some guys in "C" company that were wounded during that period and returned to "C" to continue their tours. Lucky me

Comment

Info

Thank you Ken for posting with the info provided. I am the one looking for anyone who served in Co A 1/28 from Jan 66' to Jan 67'.
                  Of particular interest is Operation Cedar Falls and anyone who may have participated?
                  Is it just me or is information after 67' more readily or easily accessible?
                  Thank you to all of you for helping me in my research.

Terry D.

Comment

The AAR for CEDAR FALLS is here:

http://www.dtic.mil/srch/doc?collection=t3&id=AD0391115

Comment

Good LINK Boonie - I sure like the workability of the doc "scan" feature in .pdf files with DTIC (it actually works); where feature doesn't work with TTU site.

P.S. I told Terry YOU WERE THE MAN!

Last edited by KEN JENSEN; 29 Mar 10, 00:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry D. View Post
                        Thank you Ken for posting with the info provided. I am the one looking for anyone who served in Co A 1/28 from Jan 66' to Jan 67'.
                        Of particular interest is Operation Cedar Falls and anyone who may have participated?
                        Is it just me or is information after 67' more readily or easily accessible?
                        Thank you to all of you for helping me in my research.

Terry D.
                        Terry - at the Black Lions site many there participated in Cedar Falls (however most belonged to 2-28th) and probably wouldn't know folks from the 1-28th.

Comment

Very good

Boonierat,
                          You've got the touch, thank you very much.
                          Thanks Ken for introducing me to this site and all the info.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry D. View Post
                            Boonierat,
                            You've got the touch, thank you very much.
                            Thanks Ken for introducing me to this site and all the info.

Terry
                            Hope your not quitting now Terry. And your right Boonie can't be beat here.

You having a Degree in History knows how much research can be spent seeking information. As an example to the wealth of information this site can provide, I did an Advanced FORUM search (at top of main screen) with the key works "junction city". The search provided me with 3 pages (57 different hits) - most no help - however, one must check each one out, and I found this that may interest you.

Again an example of Boonie's work (3 yrs ago), you will find at this LINK

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...ity#post614443

which provides a nice little map you may find interesting and another LINK just above the map you may find interesting also "VIETNAM STUDIES: CEDAR FALLS- JUNCTION CITY, A TURNING POINT"

http://www.history.army.mil/books/Vietnam/90-7/cont.htm

HAVE FUN!

Comment

Cedar Falls

Ken,

I have both the map and the document posted, thank again. Research can droll on for weeks with nothing and then something just shows up that blows your mind. It's like panning for gold or digging for diamonds, you have to put the effort in to get the prize. If only it were easier!

I would like to hear from anyone who participated in Operation Cedar Falls?
                              Nothing better than hearing History right from the source. I am always amazed at how one account can be so different from the next. It's what makes the research intersting and compelling. The military documents are very helpful but they are just words on a piece of paper. The truth in History is often times not written down in an after action report or an old news article. Often times it comes right from the mouth of the men who were there and many times History reveals itself to the person speaking of it for the first time. They don't even realize it?

Would be very interesting to hear from someone who served the North and were involved in Operation Cedar Falls?

I am still in search of men who served in the 1/28 Co a Jan 66 to Jan 67 stationed in Phuoc Vinh. Anyone who may have known Robert Dale Erickson, KIA 1/13/67, (radioman) or Ronald J. Downs.

Thanks for all your help.

Terry

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X