Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayaking the Texas coast for Wounded Warriors

Kayaking the Texas coast for Wounded Warriors

Back in the spring of 2008 my good friend Austin Davis kayaked the entire Texas coast from Pt.Isabel to Pt.Arthur, almost 400 miles to raise funds for Girls Inc. This year he's going to paddle the coast to raise funds for the Wounded Warrior Project. The money he raises is for backpacks of essential items that are given to the troops that are medevaced out of combat areas.

Those of you who remember his trip in 2008 will remember that he took a SPOT - GPS tracker unit with him so we could follow his progress. He's taking the SPOT with him again so we will be able to follow his progress as he clicks the SPOT and it shows up on Google Map.

He will also be calling in and posting comments, photos, & stories on his blog, KayakForBackpacks.com whenever he's in range of cell coverage.

There is also a fan page for him on Facebook.

His trip begins Saturday, March 27th

On the 2008 trip he took a folding kayak with a sail rig on it.

On this year's trip he's taking a sit-on-top kayak with a sailing rig.

Please help with a donation for the backpacks if you can, it is such a worthy cause.

When I got medevaced out of Nam I was one of the guys. I was in the hospital for 7 weeks.
    Vietnam - Co.A 3/21, 196th Light Infantry Brigade
    Austin "Little Colony" Bastrop 1830 - Republic of Texas
    NRA - Lifer

At least he's doing something constructive with his time. Looks like a fun thing to do & I'd be hoisting the sail anytime I felt a wind.
    "If you are right, then you are right even if everyone says you are wrong. If you are wrong then you are wrong even if everyone says you are right." William Penn.

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss49 View Post
      At least he's doing something constructive with his time. Looks like a fun thing to do & I'd be hoisting the sail anytime I felt a wind.
      On the Texas coast the wind always blows, especially in March & April. He "motor-sails" - paddles with the sail - it really nocks down the miles
      NRA - Lifer

Comment

This cause is specifically important to me. When I got medevaced out of Vietnam all I had was the uniform I was wearing - which they tossed, since I had been wearing it for over 2 weeks. I did have my wallet but no clothes, nothing else. I lived in a hospital gown until I got to the Naval hospital on Guam where they gave me a pair of pajama pants, a t-shirt, a robe, & a pair of hospital slip-on flip-flops - which I lived in until just before my release from Brooke Army hospital at Ft.Sam Houston in SanAntonio 7-weeks later. They issued me a uniform to go home in.

What little of my gear/clothes, personal stuff from Nam, that finally caught up with me, didn't catch up to me until I had been at Ft.Hood for a month, almost 3 months after I was medevaced.
        NRA - Lifer

Comment

getting ready to shove off from Pt.Isabel
          NRA - Lifer

Comment

Austin pulled over to stop for the evening
            he made it to Pt.Mansfield, about 35 miles today

NRA - Lifer

Comment

Austin is hanging out in Pt.Mansfield today to let the north wind blow through
              NRA - Lifer

Comment

Jack,

I'm really pleased that thre are folks and programs TODAY that support "wounded warriors".

I'm trying to figure out how this relates to Vietnam. I've never heard anything unique about the "Wounded Warriors Program" assisting Vietnam Vets. Please enlighten????

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Ken - Austin is one of my best friends. He's not a vet but wanted to do something to help the Wounded Warrior Project. As I said above, he did the trip as a charity fund raiser in 2008 for the the Girls Inc. group. This time he picked the WWP for the charity. It means a lot to me because I was one of those medevaced soldiers without a pair of underwear in 1971.
                  NRA - Lifer

Comment

Jack

I applaud your efforts to help raise funds for the Wounded Warriors Program - this forum may not be the proper place for solicitation. I have donated to the Wounded Warriors Program myself.

I too was one of those Medivaced without shorts. My "shorts" were replaced with a body cast and then followed with hospital gowns, bed pan, and "duc" (metal urinal canister) for 5 1/2mths after being shot up.

My PERSONAL primary charity (that was very helpful to me and other Vietnam Vets) was/is the Red Cross with blood - so today I give blood and $$; I couple that with charity $$ for Homeless Vets (especially Vietnam Vets). I can certainly make a good case for supporting the Red Cross connection with Vietnam - hence my primary charity.

Again, curiosity nags me - does the Wounded Warriors Program assist Korean Vets, Vietnam Vets and/or other Vets that were "conscripted", rather than volunteered into today's military??? I do believe that current day "wounded" Vets get a hell of a lot more than we did. And, deservedly so, thanks to us that came B4 and the friggin public's conscience for what they did in the past!

1st ID, 1/28th '67/'68 Phouc Vinh & Quan Loi
                    Skirmishes Bu Dop Dec-67, An My, Thu Duc Feb-68
                    Plt. Ldr - CIB, Purple Hearts, Silver Star
                    What we write can be considered to be a reflection of our SOUL providing others to know our CHARACTER.

Comment

Ken - the backpack program is for current troops coming out of theatre.

I wish I could give blood but since I had malaria in Nam that wont accept it from me. For years Debbie (wife) gave on a regular schedule. Then she went through cancer and she can't donate anymore either. We applaud all how can and do give blood on a regular basis.
                      NRA - Lifer

Comment

Austin had a pretty hard beat against the wind today
                        he made it about 12 miles - but it's progress

NRA - Lifer

Comment

Austin is in the LandCut this morning - 58 miles so far
                          NRA - Lifer

Comment

Austin cranked it up today, he paddled 53 miles through the LandCut, past BaffinBay and is taking a rest, cleaning up his gear, and charging his batteries at a friend's house out on N.Padre Island / Corpus. (110 miles so far)
                            NRA - Lifer

Comment

Tuesday, 30Mar2010 - N.Padre Island / CorpusChristi

My GPS is out and it will be charts and compass from here on.

The Tarpon kayak is amazing !! It is a mileage machine, with the sail rig, using the single blade or the wing paddle alone. It handles big water well and somehow keeps me pretty dry. The seat design is genius.

The sail is winning me over. It goes up and down so fast that it makes it handy. The wing paddle stroke is wider than a standard asymetrical blade and works so well with this boat's beam. Basically though, with this sail rig and with the wing paddle or the single blade, the boat is a mileage machine.

Plastic is fantastic. I hit something at the Arroyo Colorado channel that would have ripped out the bottom of a boat made from anything else.

The Tarpon has one annoying flaw though. The boat takes on water in the hull. Not enough to be a hazard but your dry bag gear is awash at day's end. I have some ideas I'll try.

The side channel in the LandCut I camped on last night held more fish than I have ever seen. One almost jumped in the boat during my initial scouting run, looking for campsite. They were feeding and I could hear them all night. And they were still there in the morning.

Monday I thought I was going to run over a submerged tree trunk in north Laguna Madre. It was the biggest redfish I had EVER seen.

All in all the trip is going well. The second time is far easier (not easy), but magnitudes easier.

It is the most amazing coast. It is not New Zealand or BritishColumbia, but remote and worthy of exploration.

Last night, other than an occasional barge crew, Man, I was in the outback. Everyone who kayaks should do this at least once. It is a worthy challenge and so close.

I'm going to sleep in tomorrow and stop at Snoopy's for lunch on the way up the coast (fog in the morning)

I'm ready to make some miles while the weather is favorable.

Blue skies,
                              Austin
                              NRA - Lifer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X